Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fresh air blower
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jr91472
Finally took out the fresh air blower and dis-assembled.....
jr91472
took the motor apart and yuk!!!!

melted plastic....aren't there supposed to be magnets in here? see arrows

anyone want to sell me a fresh air blower? oop, wrong forum.
Gint
BTDT

I attempted to rebuild a heater blower motor without much success.  Mechanically it was shot.  You can see in the pictures that the choke coil from the power lead to the brush kept de-soldering itself when the windings smack the magnets due to the shoddy bushing in the bottom of the housing.  Notice the grooves in the magnets.  Replaced it with a motor from a 73 single blower unit.  The mounting flange of the motor was too large to fit in the 74 double outlet housing.  With a die grinder I removed approximately .050 all around the mounting hole in the housing.  Sandblasted the mounting clamp.  Works like a champ if not a tad weak.  The motor is a smaller unit, but it beats freezing.
PICS

Michael J
Yuk, I started trouble shooting my blower this weekend and only got to the point that it would not run when wired direct to the battery. Not good. Next weekend it comes out and hope it looks better than yours. Might be able to get mine rebuilt.
dmenche914
i played with swaping heat blower parts on one with failed bushings, sometime they changed the direction of rotation, so the squirl cage blower vanes were pointed the wrong way(spun backwards) It still put out air, but not much.

Often the fresh air blower up front fails, and burns up cuase it gets jammed with leaves and crapola coming from the cowl vent. If you run it jamed, it will overheat and melt.

Once repaired, stick some aluminum window screen material under the cowl vents above the blower (spray paint it black)
Do not use nylon window screen, it won't last long in the sun.

The screen will prevent all but the smalled bugs a bits from entering your fan. It will last a lot longer that way. The later factory plastic screen with roughly 1/4 inch holes is much too course to stop pine needles, small leaves,a nd bugs from clogging your fan, and drain lines. Early cars did not even have this factory screen.

Think aluminum bug screen.
jr91472
QUOTE (dmenche914 @ Feb 8 2005, 11:35 AM)
Once repaired, stick some aluminum window screen material under the cowl vents above the blower (spray paint it black)

awsome idea smilie_pokal.gif

this fan has never worked since I have owned the car, but guaging by the melt down, I would say that is what happened here

thanks again
JmuRiz
Early cars did not even have this factory screen
agree.gif
Mine doesn't have that screen and was very much clogged with stuff when I took it apart. Figures it worked when I looked at the car and the whole 10 hour drive home...parked it and the 2nd time driving it didn't work.

I like the window screen idea, looks better than the factory screen.
Keep us up to date on this, I know a LOT of people have fresh air blowers that don't work.
jr91472
QUOTE (JmuRiz @ Feb 8 2005, 01:25 PM)
Keep us up to date on this, I know a LOT of people have fresh air blowers that don't work.

will do...

Lawrence is bailing me out with the blower out of his parts car. With luck I will have it next week sometime. pray.gif

thanks all beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.