Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another Q. : targa trim
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thieuster
I posted a few pics of this 1973 car

IPB Image

As you can see, with black anodized trim and no vinyl on the sailing panels. I've seen several pics of car with the same specs. However, I've not come across a brochure or reference file what or why there's different trim for different cars.

Is there more info about that?

Menno
SirAndy
The chrome trim, chrome bumpers and sail vinyl were part of the "appearance package" which cost extra money.

shades.gif
JawjaPorsche
I think the black trim on a silver teener looks awesome! beerchug.gif

Like your hub caps with Wolfburg crest too! Is it on the horn button too instead of the Porsche crest?
thieuster
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Feb 16 2015, 08:49 PM) *

I think the black trim on a silver teener looks awesome! beerchug.gif

Like your hub caps with Wolfburg crest too! Is it on the horn button too instead of the Porsche crest?

I had to get used to it, but it grows on me.

The horn button looks to be the Wolfsburg crest as well. In fact, on the back of the car it says: 'VW Porsche 2.0' These cars were sold as VWs by the Porsche dealers. The Dutch dealer Pon was (and is) VW and Porsche dealer overhere in Holland. (The owner of that business lives in Carmel, Cal. nowadays - you can buy his wine 'Bernardus Winery' there.

Menno

eyesright
QUOTE(thieuster @ Feb 16 2015, 10:57 AM) *

I posted a few pics of this 1973 car

IPB Image

As you can see, with black anodized trim and no vinyl on the sailing panels. I've seen several pics of car with the same specs. However, I've not come across a brochure or reference file what or why there's different trim for different cars.

Is there more info about that?

Menno

I believe the basic cars - without the "appearance group" - had the trim painted the same color as the body and painted bumpers. You rarely see these, I'm sure the dealers ordered as many options as possible and encouraged buyers to do so...just like today. My '70 conversion is orange with painted trim/bumpers. Looks cool but not running yet.
Tom_T
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 16 2015, 11:12 AM) *

The chrome trim, chrome bumpers and sail vinyl were part of the "appearance package" which cost extra money.

shades.gif

Yes, but the non-appearance group or non-sail/rollbar vinyl + chrome trim 914s were painted in the overall body color - not contrasting black, until the 1974 MY when the black trim option came out about the same time as the LE (& was included in the LE's options package).

So this was either a original buyer special request, or a later change to or painting of the trim to the black.

.... unless there was a different option available for this in Europe/RoW, & not available in the USA/North America?? confused24.gif
Tom_T
That rear fog light is a cool option too! smile.gif

IPB Image
dlkawashima
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 16 2015, 02:19 PM) *

.... unless there was a different option available for this in Europe/RoW, & not available in the USA/North America?? confused24.gif

This is the cover page of the 1973 marketing brochure for non-USA regions. Go to http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/Brochures.htm

IPB Image
thieuster
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Feb 17 2015, 12:53 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 16 2015, 02:19 PM) *

This is the cover page of the 1973 marketing brochure for non-USA regions. Go to http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/Brochures.htm

IPB Image

Great! Thanks for the heads up.
*typically, the car I fancy is the el cheapo model...*

Menno
dlkawashima
Here's a thread in the Originality and History section that covers the same topic:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=116150

No vinyl, black trim 2-liters like yours are rare in North America. Perhaps in Europe they are more common?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.