Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can't Open Trunk
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VWTortuga336
I'm having issues with my (rear) trunk. First, it wouldn't stay latched and after a little messing with the catch, I got it to close and stay closed. Problem is that now I can't get it back open biggrin.gif

Is there another way I can open it, as the normal release is not working? Can I remove the hinges from the engine bay?
mm911
QUOTE(VWTortuga336 @ Mar 10 2015, 09:19 PM) *

I'm having issues with my (rear) trunk. First, it wouldn't stay latched and after a little messing with the catch, I got it to close and stay closed. Problem is that now I can't get it back open biggrin.gif

Is there another way I can open it, as the normal release is not working? Can I remove the hinges from the engine bay?
Google Porsche 914 trunk won't open and you will see the procedure to get it open. Good luck.
G e o r g e
if the rear button is not pushing the release enough for you to lift the trunk then I don't see how removing the rear hinges will allow you to pull the lid free any easier.

do you have the button/lock installed or is it reworked with an aftermarket option?

are you springs attached to the rear hinges ? did they do there job well?

you probably just need to use something as a pry bar to gently pop up the trunk as you depress the release

GaroldShaffer
Had this happen when I first got my 914. The pin on the back side can get worn down. I pushed the button in then while pushing down on the rear lid just above the lock I pushed in the trunk button and gave it a lite tap with a rubber mallet. That was enough to bump the pin the little extra it needed open the trunk.
YMMV
SirAndy
Do a search here, the ratchet and extension method is by far the easiest and quickest ...
smile.gif
stevegm
I got locked out of my rear trunk last fall. Drilled the lock out and replaced it.
914werke
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 10 2015, 07:50 PM) *

Do a search here, the ratchet and extension method is by far the easiest and quickest ...
smile.gif

IDK about easiest headbang.gif happy11.gif
Do a search for the thread "home made tools", or some such.
you'll find an image of a heavy guage wire TOOL that I made.
With it the job was very simple.
PanelBilly
I agree with pressing the trunk lid down just above the lock. Then push the button in
TheCabinetmaker
A long eighth inch drill bit will remove the tab on the rear of the lock cylinder without ruining the wafers. The cylinder will then pop out and allow you to open the lid with a screwdriver. Then replace the tab and screw, or send me the lock and I'll repair it as necessary. I've tried the extensions thru the engine bay. Waste of time.
Jasfsmith
I've used a 1/16 drill bit inserted into the key slot as far as it would go. The drill bit will bite into the set screw holding the cam and back it out. Cam then falls off.

Low drill speed and a steady hand is all that is needed.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 10 2015, 08:50 PM) *

smile.gif

agree.gif
VWTortuga336
These are all great tips, thanks.

I do feel like an idiot however. I got it to open this morning, it only needed a little butt-action on the trunk while pushing the button. I kind of freaked out a little bit before I really looked deeply into the "problem". I think a little more beer3.gif while working on the car will help with that issue.

Thanks again for all the advice!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.