Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lets clean up the look
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
toon1
I'm looking for ideas on how to clean up the look of the car.

The bumpers really don't flow with the body lines like modern cars. They've always looked kinda funky and out of place

I really like the way the NEO 914 6 looked. where did he get the bumpers?

Any other concepts would be great also.
rjames
QUOTE(toon1 @ Mar 11 2015, 10:52 AM) *

The bumpers really don't flow with the body lines like modern cars. They've always looked kinda funky and out of place

Almost everything on the 914 is funky. It's why I like it. biggrin.gif
wes
agree.gif
KELTY360
Paint the bumpers body color. It defines the ends, especially the front, and make the car look longer. Get rid of vinyl on the sail panels, it looks cleaner and it reveals a very nice body line that gets hidden by the trim at the base of the sail. That also shows the graceful kick-up of the rear fender aft of the door. Also, get rid of the warts; they hide a very nice curvature on the side of the front fender.
BigFour1973
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 11 2015, 11:24 AM) *

Paint the bumpers body color. It defines the ends, especially the front, and make the car look longer. Get rid of vinyl on the sail panels, it looks cleaner and it reveals a very nice body line that gets hidden by the trim at the base of the sail. That also shows the graceful kick-up of the rear fender aft of the door. Also, get rid of the warts; they hide a very nice curvature on the side of the front fender.

I disagree with the sail removal. It needs some contrast and with out the sail it looks all wrong.
mepstein
QUOTE(toon1 @ Mar 11 2015, 01:52 PM) *

Buy a Miata?
Big Len
Can't remember the thread, but somebody posted a 914 pic with it's steel wheels widened.

I would have never changed to 5 lug had I seen this...old school, racing meanness.
Geezer914
You buy a 914 for the looks and handling. If you want the modern look of a Miata, then buy a Miata.
CptTripps
It's called a Chalon kit....and nobody likes them.
toon1

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 11 2015, 11:34 AM) *

Buy a Miata?

I have the sail panels and the top painted. Personally I think the car looked too cut up with black rocker trim, black sail, and black top, so i painted it all.

I don't want the bumpers, I think they dirty up the lines. this is what I want to clean up and make the car more integrated looking.

buy a Miata?????!!!!! ummm...NO GUY!....LOL
mepstein
QUOTE(toon1 @ Mar 11 2015, 03:20 PM) *

Buy a Miata?

I have the sail panels and the top painted. Personally I think the car looked too cut up with black rocker trim, black sail, and black top, so i painted it all.

I don't want the bumpers, I think they dirty up the lines. this is what I want to clean up and make the car more integrated looking.

You could do 916 bumpers. They are more "integrated " to the steel panels than the stock bumpers. Not as popular as they once were but an easy mod to try without cutting up the car. You can usually buy a used set for $100-200.
veekry9
Click to view attachment
Appears to be an integral bumper in a late model way.Looks good,has detail.
Note how the rectangular panel's width matches the inner width of the lenses.
I happen to like the old style chrome steel stampings or close replicas in composite.
The popular theme of blackface bumpers in rubber can be replicated today quite easily.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=porsche+914+...E%3B1920%3B1080

A 500$ 914 can be transformed into your own personal vision of mid engine Valhalla.
toon1
QUOTE(veekry9 @ Mar 11 2015, 12:42 PM) *

Click to view attachment
Appears to be an integral bumper in a late model way.Looks good,has detail.
Note how the rectangular panel's width matches the inner width of the lenses.
I happen to like the old style chrome steel stampings or close replicas in composite.
The popular theme of blackface bumpers in rubber can be replicated today quite easily.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=porsche+914+...E%3B1920%3B1080

A 500$ 914 can be transformed into your own personal vision of mid engine Valhalla.

I like it,

I don't like the 916 front bumper though.

mgp4591
QUOTE(toon1 @ Mar 11 2015, 01:20 PM) *

Buy a Miata?

Another trick I've seen is to paint the trim black around the windows including the run channel between the wing window and the main windows on the doors. They tend to cut up the shape much like the vinyl on the sail panels. Some like the chrome and vinyl giving the car its vintage look. To each their own I say! shades.gif
Mueller
Not a fan of the 916 bumpers at all....nope I don't like them!

I do envy the way the early 911's can easily go bumperless or even run nerf bars and look great doing so...
mgp4591
QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 11 2015, 02:02 PM) *

I do envy the way the early 911's can easily go bumperless or even run nerf bars and look great doing so...

agree.gif They tend to warp and make the car look like it's frowning... sad.gif
madmax914
agree.gif AIR makes the front and rear 916 bumpers.

http://www.americaninternationalracing.com...246&page=20
toon1
QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 11 2015, 01:02 PM) *

Hi Mike, where did Felix get his bumper for the NEO?

Soooo...the Fiance' shot down the whole idea of modernizing the car...LOL.

She said leave it alone! (like a lot of other people here).

She said "if you want a newer looking car, let's go buy a Cayman!"
Cairo94507
I agree with the fiance'.
Cal
Here are several cars that may be of some interest....
Cal
IMO.....I like the all black bumpers the best.
mepstein
QUOTE(Cal @ Mar 11 2015, 04:27 PM) *

agree.gif That is exactly how my GT will be done.
Mueller
QUOTE(toon1 @ Mar 11 2015, 01:18 PM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 11 2015, 01:02 PM) *

Hi Mike, where did Felix get his bumper for the NEO?

Soooo...the Fiance' shot down the whole idea of modernizing the car...LOL.

She said leave it alone! (like a lot of other people here).

She said "if you want a newer looking car, let's go buy a Cayman!"

http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?show...=43010&st=0

Bumper mods for his NEO build
john77
QUOTE(Cal @ Mar 11 2015, 01:27 PM) *

Are these just stock fog light grilles painted black?
veekry9
Click to view attachment
17" 4-Fuchs.

Click to view attachment

Black bumper in grp+rubber,lite.Wider,longer,lower,ww's raised.
Earlier mods,some more radical.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...22522&st=60
veekry9
Click to view attachment

Before heavy mods,sectioning,widening etc.
struckn
IPB Image]My Webpage[/url]

I see this doable...go for it!

welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
boxstr
Heres a clean look and its for sale..

Craig at CAMP
mepstein
QUOTE(boxstr @ Mar 11 2015, 07:24 PM) *

Craig at CAMP

I can't believe that car hasn't sold.
toon1
QUOTE(boxstr @ Mar 11 2015, 04:24 PM) *

Craig at CAMP

Are those fiberglass bumpers?
Larmo63
I'm not a fan of the sail vinyl either…..that sexy line on back to the rear fenders gets lost…

my $.02
boxstr
Yes they are glass bumpers..it is a specific kind of 914, not something everyone wants. But it is really fast and really well sorted out and extremely clean.
Craig at CAMP
pneuhyde

Could not have said it better myself !
balljoint
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 11 2015, 02:24 PM) *

agree.gif

100%

The sail vinyl dates the car. A few more moves like that and the car is timeless.
914nola
QUOTE(boxstr @ Mar 11 2015, 07:15 PM) *

Yes they are glass bumpers..it is a specific kind of 914, not something everyone wants. But it is really fast and really well sorted out and extremely clean.
Craig at CAMP

What is the price
SirAndy
QUOTE(struckn @ Mar 11 2015, 03:42 PM) *

IPB Image

I see this doable...go for it!

That's already been done. There is a thread here somewhere with pictures of a 914 that was made to look like that.

If i recall correctly, the car was in south america.
idea.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 11 2015, 09:19 PM) *
That's already been done. There is a thread here somewhere with pictures of a 914 that was made to look like that.

idea.gif

Found the thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=12473

IPB Image

driving.gif
dlkawashima
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Cuda911
Personally, I think 100% stock looks perfect! Although, I think the "PORSCHE" side stickers really make the car "pop."

In general, not a fan of mods at all, unless you are going to build a bad-ass-motor car like Andy's.
Greg914-6GT
QUOTE(toon1 @ Mar 11 2015, 09:52 AM) *

You could get really crazy, just had the front end modified for better oil cooler airflow and added brake ducts. Car is being transported for a special display this weekend, pictures and story will be forthcoming. Any guesses where it's going??Click to view attachment
KELTY360
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 11 2015, 08:22 PM) *

idea.gif

IPB Image

driving.gif

OMG! It's like you can see a 914 trapped in there, screaming to escape!
MJHanna
I like this clean look if the side maker were gone I would like it even better
toon1
QUOTE(MJHanna @ Mar 12 2015, 06:40 AM) *

I like this clean look if the side maker were gone I would like it even better

That's what my car looks like, minus the Fuches. I have 16" Boxter snowflakes. My side markers are shaved also.

I took a look at the car last night. Got some good ideas of how to keep the stock look and clean up the lines.
thieuster
Sort of this then? No vinyl, no wrat, original wheels...

IPB Image

IPB Image

And then there's this....914 Visualizer

This will take a lot of your time...

Menno
tumamilhem
My 2 cents:

Personally, I prefer the stock chrome bumpers. I think black bumpers can look good but makes the ends look too blunt and the body color bumpers (a second choice) makes the black rubber bumper top stick out too much like it's floating. I think the chrome looks very pretty and is a nice contrast with the black bumper top and the body color without overdoing it.

916 Bumpers...eh,

Later style rubber bumpers (front only) looks nice if it's a dark color car. It keeps with the same shape and curve as the front bonnet, extending the look and length of the car to a more narrow end. Can be very elegant and Lotus/Ferrari-like of the '70's. But on a light colored car, it looks blunt also - color-wise, not shape-wise.

Not a fan of the sail vinyl. I think it hides a nice curve and frames the cabin profile nicely with the A pillar. The "basket handle" was not a too popular look, which is why the vinyl was originally applied. But that was then. I think it looks great, cleaner and much better without the vinyl - and with the chrome trim, not body colored trim. Black trim a second choice, but I much prefer the chrome. Otherwise, the car profile looks too straight across, square and torpedo-like. Plus, it looks interesting and funky and very '70's.
toon1
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 12 2015, 08:28 AM) *

My 2 cents:

Personally, I prefer the stock chrome bumpers. I think black bumpers can look good but makes the ends look too blunt and the body color bumpers (a second choice) makes the black rubber bumper top stick out too much like it's floating. I think the chrome looks very pretty and is a nice contrast with the black bumper top and the body color without overdoing it.

916 Bumpers...eh,

Later style rubber bumpers (front only) looks nice if it's a dark color car. It keeps with the same shape and curve as the front bonnet, extending the look and length of the car to a more narrow end. Can be very elegant and Lotus/Ferrari-like of the '70's. But on a light colored car, it looks blunt also - color-wise, not shape-wise.

Not a fan of the sail vinyl. I think it hides a nice curve and frames the cabin profile nicely with the A pillar. The "basket handle" was not a too popular look, which is why the vinyl was originally applied. But that was then. I think it looks great, cleaner and much better without the vinyl - and with the chrome trim, not body colored trim. Black trim a second choice, but I much prefer the chrome. Otherwise, the car profile looks too straight across, square and torpedo-like. Plus, it looks interesting and funky and very '70's.

I've taken the 916 bumpers off the table, I will stay with chrome. I want to clean up the lines and make it flow better.

The bumpers and bumper tops have always looked like they never really match. The top hangs over the back of the bumper and the bumper hangs out on the sides and doesn't match the body lines.

It always looked like lego's( for lack of a better word) to me. I think it could be better smile.gif

tumamilhem
You may be able to have the bumper tops shaved back for a custom fit, to make them flush with the bumpers. That might look nice.
AndyB
How do I save my car?

QUOTE(thieuster @ Mar 12 2015, 11:06 AM) *

Sort of this then? No vinyl, no wrat, original wheels...

IPB Image

IPB Image

And then there's this....914 Visualizer

This will take a lot of your time...

Menno

AndyB
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 12 2015, 12:22 AM) *

idea.gif

IPB Image

driving.gif

I dont know it kind of grows on you if you stare long enough.
thieuster
QUOTE(AndyB @ Mar 12 2015, 06:39 PM) *

How do I save my car?

I don't get it. (Must be the Trans Atlantic distance and / or the fact that English isn't my first language). Please explain.

Menno
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.