Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do I need to bore the case?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
srwilli1978
Hey All,

I am brand spanking new here. Been a big VW and Porsche fan for years. I have done a fair amount of Type 1 builds but the Type 4 is new to me.

I have an opportunity to pick up an OK roller project 914. The car needs a lot of work but that's the fun in all of this so I am game. It has a 1.7L in it now and with the deal is an additional 1.8L short block.

My question has to do with the engine cases and rebuilding with 94mm P&C's. I am looking at the kits from the Type 4 Store. I know there will probably be some case clearance-ing needed but will I need to bore the cases also to fit one of those type kits?

I plan on keeping the 1.7L in the car and using the 1.8L in a Type 1 swap for my 66 Bug if the case is in good enough shape. I would like to be in 2.3L to 2.5L range when done in each of the motors.

Any insight, links, or wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
TheCabinetmaker
I have it from an excellent source. 94mm cyls will fit.
Cap'n Krusty
If you use stock 94mm cylinders and pistons, they're drop in and no clearancing will be required as long as you also use the stock 2 liter crank. More importantly, the pistons won't work with the 1.7/1.8 crankshaft.

The Cap'n
Dave_Darling
Which 91s were stock? The 1.7s used 90mm, the 1.8s used 93mm, and the 2.0s used 94mm.

(And no case mods needed for up to 96mm bores. The 1.7 heads may need to be cut for the cylinder tops, but the case bores are fine already.)

--DD
Cap'n Krusty
The 91s on the tips of my typing fingers. Fixed it, Dave. Sorry.

The Cap'n
Valy
The case is the same for 1.7, 1.8 and 2.0.
The 1.7 heads have smaller opening than the 1.8 and 2.0 so you will need to open up the chambers diameter.
G e o r g e
could you use the 1.7 heads, pick up 94mm Pistons and have your 90mm jugs bored out to fit?

I'm not suggesting this combo is a good match, but I thought the issue with the 1.7 head 96mm P & C's where that that walls got to thin, a 94mm would leave a little more meat on the bone

but if the OP wants 2.3 - 2.5 ltr using 94's his crank and rods are going to have to change
srwilli1978
Awesome guys. That's type of info I was looking for thank you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.