Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The LED supplimental
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
eric9144
Having recently participated in an Amazing Group Buy for Spoke's front and rear LED turn signals... ( Thread here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...mp;hl=LED+bulbs )

I wanted to round out the rest of the exterior bulbs for the car making it fully LED (not including headlights yet...)

I recently finished my project and figured I'd post up info to help others that are looking to make that change as well. Its as easy as changing out the bulbs, provided the LED's are the right replacements...

I used superbrightleds.com as my vendor, there are other choices, I'm not saying any one is better than another, this is only meant for a guide for those who want to skip the research portion and get 'er done. If you guys have more to add go for it...

eric9144
(2) Front side marker bulbs – Amber [BA9S-AHP5] $6.95

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/ba...#/attributes/16

Click to view attachment
They're this bright and that's without the lens attached!
Click to view attachment
eric9144
(3) License Plate Lights and Rear Trunk Light bulbs – Cool White [BA9S-WHP9] $9.95

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/ba.../#/attributes/1

Click to view attachment

Left side is the old bulb, new LED on right

Click to view attachment
eric9144
(2) Reverse Light bulbs – 1156 Cool White 100 degree [1156-W24-WV] $6.95

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/s-.../#/attributes/1

Click to view attachment

Left side is the old bulb, new LED on right

Click to view attachment
eric9144
(1) Interior Dome Light bulb – Natural White [4410-NW9] $4.74

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/fe.../#/attributes/3

Edit to add pics beerchug.gif
I went with the Natural here because it looked just like "stock" -- I'd also picked up a Red and a Blue bulb, they're cool but dont really produce enough light to use as an effective dome light...If you're just going for looks the colored ones are cool, but for real life use they're going to be kind of dark.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
eric9144
Other photos for reference...

Note brightness of LED sidemarker compared to standard from TS/Marker:
Click to view attachment

Reverse bulb reference for size in housing:
Click to view attachment
eric9144
Front complete with Spoke's LED boards:
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
eric9144
Rear of car complete:
aktion035.gif
Click to view attachment

The pictures don't do them justice, they're very bright and clear, great upgrade and overall it took maybe an hour to complete! beer3.gif
mepstein
Thanks for including all the specific bulb information. I'l be ordering everything you listed.

The led headlights are not cheap but you wont be disappointed. Driving at night is so much easier with bright modern headlights. The high beams are insane.
GeorgeRud
How about the interior light bulb? That would help preserve the housing as well by not producing as much heat.
eric9144
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Mar 13 2015, 01:22 PM) *

How about the interior light bulb? That would help preserve the housing as well by not producing as much heat.

Funny you mention that-See Post #5 for the info on that-I actually tested that by leaving the dome light on for about 20 minutes, then popped it out, bulb was cool to the touch!

No more torched dome lights!
mepstein
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Mar 13 2015, 05:22 PM) *

see post #5
dome light = back pad light
eric9144
Noticed this on all the bulbs...coincidence, I think not! The universe has spoken:
Click to view attachment
patssle
And these are what you want for the dash instruments.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/ba...-bulb-1-led/10/

What about taillights just replacing the bulb?
Dave_Darling
You won't be able to use the dimmer on the instrument lights if you go LED. Not without adding some electrical parts along the way.

Oh, and don't replace the alternator warning bulb with LED. The charging system won't work right if you do.

--DD
AndyB
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Mar 13 2015, 05:01 PM) *

Having recently participated in an Amazing Group Buy for Spoke's front and rear LED turn signals... ( Thread here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...mp;hl=LED+bulbs )

I wanted to round out the rest of the exterior bulbs for the car making it fully LED (not including headlights yet...)

I recently finished my project and figured I'd post up info to help others that are looking to make that change as well. Its as easy as changing out the bulbs, provided the LED's are the right replacements...

I used superbrightleds.com as my vendor, there are other choices, I'm not saying any one is better than another, this is only meant for a guide for those who want to skip the research portion and get 'er done. If you guys have more to add go for it...

agree.gif that's where I got all my LED bulbs from.
bandjoey
Moving to all Led's- is this all plug n play?
87m491
What LED headlights?!

[quote name='mepstein' date='Mar 13

The led headlights are not cheap but you wont be disappointed. Driving at night is so much easier with bright modern headlights. The high beams are insane.
[/quote]
mepstein
[quote name='87m491' date='Mar 14 2015, 11:07 PM' post='2160127']
What LED headlights?!

[quote name='mepstein' date='Mar 13

[/quote]
[/quote]
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...mp;hl=headlight
87m491
Thx, looks like all of my"E" codes with replaceable bulbs might be getting outdated. Thankfully it also looks like reasonable LED bulbs for existing lamps may be right around the corner. Even if they generate some heat it will be nowhere near that of a 100W H1/HD and no wiring upgrades needed is also a money/ time saver.

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 14 2015, 07:26 PM) *

[b]
QUOTE(87m491 @ Mar 14 2015, 11:07 PM) *

What LED headlights?!

QUOTE(mepstein)

913B
subscribed to a great thread. thanks
biggrin.gif
eric9144
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Mar 14 2015, 03:53 PM) *

Moving to all Led's- is this all plug n play?

YES! beerchug.gif
mepstein
I finally got around to ordering these bulbs. Thanks again for picking out the correct ones for our cars. Hopefully Spoke will have a set of his led boards available to me at hershey so I can be all (almost) led.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 23 2015, 07:30 PM) *

Hopefully Spoke will have a set of his led boards available to me at hershey so I can be all (almost) led.

Ohhhh.
Thats a good idea...
Zach
Chris Pincetich
GREAT thread beerchug.gif

Curious question to electrical engineers out there: how much does having all LEDs change the load on the circuits, battery, and alternator?

I had to replace my alternator last month. I use the 914 to commute, and was bummed I didn't have time and funds to go from a 55amp alternator to a 75 or greater. I drive in the dark with the radio blasting, headlights and foglights, so draw lots of current aktion035.gif

Will all LEDs benefit my old car by putting less stress on the 55amp system? shades.gif

FYI - I am running the GE Nighthawk LED headlights linked in the thread above, but all other lights are currently "normal." beerchug.gif
80cap
Where is a good source for missing dome light housing? Also other
lenses and such.
Thanks Brian
eric9144
QUOTE(Chris Pincetich @ Mar 24 2015, 08:28 AM) *

Curious question to electrical engineers out there: how much does having all LEDs change the load on the circuits, battery, and alternator?

Will all LEDs benefit my old car by putting less stress on the 55amp system? shades.gif

In short, Yes beerchug.gif

The LED bulbs are far more efficient in terms of overall draw and service life vs the OE incandescent bulbs we were running. I can't quantify the overall change in power load, but I can tell you that my idle used to change (drop) when I pulled the headlight switch on...it doesn't any more!

This info is geared towards home lighting solutions but you can see how dramatic the differences are in terms of draw:
Click to view attachment

There are other benefits as well--longer life, not sensitive to humidity, less sensitive to heat/cold, and low heat generation (i.e. they dont typically get "hot")
mepstein
Which Amber bulb should I purchase to replace the stock bulb in the front turn signal

Edit - never mind. They have a bulb finder on the site that includes our cars smile.gif
MJHanna
they have a nice web site.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led-veh...914--/49-209--/
jim_hoyland
agree.gif Thanks for the links and excellent pictures smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
RickS
In your opinion are the front side markers just as bright as the original bulb or twice or three times as bright? I would like to go Amber LED since my markers lenses are clear, but am not looking for day time running lights on my fender sides. So what do you think?
9fourteen14
this is awesome information.

thanx.. this is what I have been looking for.
has every one who has replaced their dash bulbs happy with them?

superbrightleds.com is the place for me.

914 luva
budk
QUOTE(9fourteen14 @ Apr 8 2016, 10:13 PM) *

914 luva

Did you read DD comments about not being able to use your dimmer if you replace the dash light bulbs with LED's? I would like to hear more about this problem and how to resolve it if possible.
9fourteen14
QUOTE(budk @ Apr 9 2016, 08:22 AM) *

QUOTE(9fourteen14 @ Apr 8 2016, 10:13 PM) *

914 luva

Did you read DD comments about not being able to use your dimmer if you replace the dash light bulbs with LED's? I would like to hear more about this problem and how to resolve it if possible.

of course.
abes914
i replaced my instrument panel bulbs with led. yes you cannot use the dimmer but i dont think that is a problem to me. it is a good upgrade in my opinion. my problem with the regular bulbs was that they are too dim even in full strenght (ok my speedometer is 10mph off but i still want to know my rpm)
porschetub
QUOTE(abes914 @ Apr 10 2016, 07:01 PM) *

i replaced my instrument panel bulbs with led. yes you cannot use the dimmer but i dont think that is a problem to me. it is a good upgrade in my opinion. my problem with the regular bulbs was that they are too dim even in full strenght (ok my speedometer is 10mph off but i still want to know my rpm)

Just got my set of instrument lights in the mail from superbrightled,great service and the best prices.
Yet to fit but know they will make a difference,got the interior light lamp a while back and very happy,thanks for the added info will be ordering more for other parts on the car.

EDIT,fitted replacement metric speedo, led instrument lamps made a real difference,the lighting seems be more around the inside of the gauge housing than before.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.