Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Amelia Island - Piëch's 914-8: We got curious what was in the trunk.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
stevegm
Today at the Amelia Island Concours they honored the Porsche 914 in style. siverson got tired of wondering what was under the hood of Ferry's 914-8 so he opened it himself.

We took about 700 photos. We'll post some good ones, and we will have full Fourteener Motoring coverage of the event.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
gereed75
QUOTE(stevegm @ Mar 15 2015, 02:29 PM) *

Today at the Amelia Island Concours they honored the Porsche 914 in style. siverson got tired of wondering what was under the hood of Ferry's 914 so he opened it himself. I will post video and pictures soon.

We took about 700 photos. We'll post some good ones, and have full Fourteener Motoring coverage of the event coming soon.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Steve is so big I think no one would fuch with him
stevegm
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Mar 15 2015, 03:20 PM) *

QUOTE(stevegm @ Mar 15 2015, 02:29 PM) *

Today at the Amelia Island Concours they honored the Porsche 914 in style. siverson got tired of wondering what was under the hood of Ferry's 914 so he opened it himself. I will post video and pictures soon.

We took about 700 photos. We'll post some good ones, and have full Fourteener Motoring coverage of the event coming soon.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Steve is so big I think no one would fuch with him

Yep. 6'7" that was why we elected him.
Mueller
Nice...finger prints and a video for the prosecution!

Should we start the bail thread now?

hahahaha

So jealous of everyone there!

Keep up the good work!
gereed75
It was a great 914 time. So great to meet most of the world legends. Scotty, the good doc evil, Eric, SoCal , Clay, Steve and so many others. A very special thanks to Tommy. He is a 914 treasure!!

Unexpectedly met Lewis Broiles, who after about twenty minutes, we realized we knew each other from the same Navy squadron 25 years ago. What a small 914 world !!
siverson
that must be photoshopped. i wasnt even there.

-steve
Mueller
Find any receipts in there from Automobile Atlanta? hahaha
Andyrew
That front trunk just shows how prototype this was. Really cool!
Big Len
Fuel tank looks like one small accident away from a major detonation.
Dave_Darling
That's why there are those two fire bottles in the trunk with it. Those are the two white cylinders.

BTW, this is the Piech car, not the one given to Ferry. The latter is silver, and has a welded hard top with a sunroof in it. This one has the full-tilt-boogie 908 race car motor with MFI, while Ferry's car has a detuned one with Webers.

--DD
Cuda911
So, Jimmy Hoffa wasn't in there?

Why are the headlight covers so wide? Are there four bulbs?

Interesting that there is a fuel filler door on the hood.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Mar 15 2015, 11:35 PM) *

Dual headlights.
All 914s were supposed to have these but only two prototype cars were ever equipped with them and only one of those has survived.
JmuRiz
Has all those cool prototype parts, like the angular front turn signal lenses too.
siverson

siverson
siverson
siverson
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 15 2015, 09:46 PM) *

Dual headlights.
All 914s were supposed to have these but only two prototype cars were ever equipped with them and only one of those has survived.

Both 914/8's were built on surplus prototype bodies 006 and 011 I believe...
r_towle
nice inner fender hammer dents and welds....

Rich
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 15 2015, 11:46 PM) *
Dual headlights.

I don't know how fair it is to say that they were "all supposed to have them". It was one of many different configurations for various parts of the car that were tried out on the prototypes. The bumpers were another--I think this one has the spring-mounted bumpers on it, with the rubber bumper top mounted to the body instead of the bumper.

--DD
scotty b
I was going to start a thread dedicated to this car but since you started this one I guess it makes more sense to add them here confused24.gif
scotty b
smile.gif
scotty b
smile.gif that's it for me.

NEXT !!
Ferg
Did they fire it up?
DBCooper
You know in looking at that I'm seeing all kinds of things that offend people around here, from the eight cylinder engine transplant to the wood on the dash to the crest on the hood. Somebody's been very naughty, screwing with a classic and they've RUINED the resale value!!

Very pretty car, and interesting, too. You can almost see the designers thinking...

TJB/914
Did you open up the Tool Kit and check the tools???
Tom
Maltese Falcon
WOW...what a hot rod, I remember it from my original Porsche Museum visit. It looks SO much better on the grass, thanks for posting.
The transaxle is also 908?
Ferry's birthday cake must have been a work of art as well !
Marty
scotty b
QUOTE(Ferg @ Mar 16 2015, 09:39 AM) *

Did they fire it up?

Apparently from what Drevil was told, it hasn't run in years. I think the keys are missing blink.gif blink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 16 2015, 10:23 AM) *
I don't know how fair it is to say that they were "all supposed to have them".

According to DGVWPB, the dual headlights were supposed to go into production but were scrapped to save some money.

Also according to DGVWPB, only 914.103 and 914.111 got the dual headlight treatment before the lights went on the chopping block.
shades.gif
Manny Alban
QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 16 2015, 10:25 AM) *

Did they fire it up?

Apparently from what Drevil was told, it hasn't run in years. I think the keys are missing blink.gif blink.gif

I saw this on FacebookClick to view attachment
Chris H.
QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 16 2015, 01:25 PM) *

Did they fire it up?

The key is in the ignition! BUT the battery is missing. Isn't that engine too valuable to fire up without disassembling and rebuilding confused24.gif ?

Andy, what do all of the labels on the extra switches say in the interior?
JeffBowlsby
Interesting that the dual headlights run off one motor and a common axle, unlike the production 914 with two headlight motors and no axle. The 928 uses one motor and an axle for its headlights, I suspect the 924/944 uses one motor also?
Johny Blackstain
What a magnificent & beautiful beast. Always wondered how they fit the eight in there & think it's cool to see the rear firewall moved behind the shocks as opposed to the usual "in front of" location.
smilie_pokal.gif
EdwardBlume
Super cool! And no one ended up getting arrested!
Andyrew
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Mar 16 2015, 12:00 PM) *

Interesting that the dual headlights run off one motor and a common axle, unlike the production 914 with two headlight motors and no axle. The 928 uses one motor and an axle for its headlights, I suspect the 924/944 uses one motor also?

Yes, the 944/924 have the bar that goes across just like the 928
JmuRiz
Love the details of the 'strange' parts on it!!!
JRust
That is an amazing car! Just the history with it blows my mind. So cool they brought it out for this event! That has to be seriously scary moving a car like that out of the museum. Can't say I love everything about it. At the same time it is unique to that car. Wish I could have seen it in person
smokey
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Mar 16 2015, 10:51 AM) *

You know in looking at that I'm seeing all kinds of things that offend people around here, from the eight cylinder engine transplant to the wood on the dash to the crest on the hood. Somebody's been very naughty, screwing with a classic and they've RUINED the resale value!!

Very pretty car, and interesting, too. You can almost see the designers thinking...

lol-2.gif

smoke.gif
Michael N
QUOTE(JRust @ Mar 16 2015, 11:19 AM) *

Wish I could have seen it in person

Same here. You think they would let me store it in my garage on the West Coast until Rennsport V ? It would be nice to also have it there for us West coast guys that didn't go to Amelia.
GeorgeRud
I think Amelia Island really did go all out to show historic and one of a kind 914-6s. The line-up in front of the Porsche stand was very impressive. I just wish I had enough energy to do everything that there is to see down there.

Amazing event!
tumamilhem
Tons more detailed pics of the 914/8 engine, interior and exterior in the Amelia Island thread too:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2160939
bandjoey
Looks like someone drove the car a lot and just polished it up for the museum and show.
wndsnd
Wonderful - obviosly developed to find the limits. I wonder what it weighs in at and how much it flexes?

John
Bleyseng
It was a test mule and driven daily for awhile. God who wouldn't want to drive it!
era vulgaris
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Mar 16 2015, 02:51 PM) *

The switch on the far left side of the dashboard labeled "bei feuer einschalten" means "turn on in case of fire".

I can't see the switches in the center area clearly enough to read them.

Johny Blackstain
I wonder how long before someone starts making that "Porsche Museum" side sticker & sells it here on the world? biggrin.gif
tumamilhem
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Mar 16 2015, 09:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Mar 16 2015, 02:51 PM) *

The switch on the far left side of the dashboard labeled "bei feuer einschalten" means "turn on in case of fire".

I can't see the switches in the center area clearly enough to read them.

I took photos directly on top and inches away from that console with the switches on it. As well as the ones on the dash. You can see them in the Amelia Island thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2160939
914outlaw
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 16 2015, 02:46 AM) *

Dual headlights.

That would be a cool reproduction. Does anyone know how long and wide the headlight covers are?
Chris Pincetich
Alright, who's going to start building a replica???!?! happy11.gif
shades.gif
aktion035.gif
beerchug.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Chris Pincetich @ Mar 20 2015, 01:18 PM) *

Alright, who's going to start building a replica???!?! happy11.gif
shades.gif
aktion035.gif
beerchug.gif

hide.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.