Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gracing the Green in a 914: The first and only appearance of a Porsche 914 LE Can Am at an Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance event
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
stevegm
Double post. Sorry.
tumamilhem
QUOTE(stevegm @ Mar 17 2015, 05:44 PM) *

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 16 2015, 03:18 PM) *

These have to have been the cutest kids at the C&C Saturday. But then again, I'm partial. :-) Great pictures. Very nice car. And for people restoring cars and looking for ideas, very helpful. Like I mentioned Saturday, I'm always surprised how Orange the Orange is on the creamsickle. I think it is Phoenix red. But it always looks so orange in person.

Thanks, Steve. Your kids were adorable and it was great to see you. smile.gif

And I'll be happy to get all those photos to you as requested. It will take me a little while, so maybe a few days.
Big Len
Edited....actually, I agree. Time to move on.
Larmo63
I agree with Tom, let this die. Get over it.

Sheesh, you naysayers sound like a bunch of high school cheerleaders.
stevegm
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Mar 17 2015, 06:12 PM) *

I concur. Tommy meant well. Let's talk about the cars.
OU8AVW
I want to see some pictures of your Scirocco! One of the funnest cars I've owned....
OU8AVW
QUOTE(stevegm @ Mar 17 2015, 02:23 PM) *

Or we can pick on Scotty B poke.gif
porbmw
QUOTE(stevegm @ Mar 17 2015, 03:23 PM) *

Tripple on that.
Many of us have moments when we are (over)enthused. Better than underwhelmed. I appreciate all the pics, and it's easy to scroll past the pics and dialogue that is less interesting or less accurate.
Better too many pics, than too few.
Mike Bellis
IBTL biggrin.gif

My "Bad thing" comment is in reference to the value of our cars going up; driven by speculation.

It's a double edge sword. Most of us are CSOB's and we love 914's. As prices rise, they will be less affordable to US, the enthusiast. It's already happening with the 914-6. There are 2 on Craig's list (SF Bay) that are near the 6 figure mark.

If some of you are holding out, hoping to cash in on your nest egg, I'm sorry. I don't want the cost of a 914 to go into 911 or 356 territory. If this happens, we the enthusiast will have to buy 944's and most of those are POS!

hijacked.gif
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(OU8AVW @ Mar 17 2015, 07:34 PM) *

I want to see some pictures of your Scirocco! One of the funnest cars I've owned....

I loved mine too - one or two pictures would be great!
ripper911
I only had mine for a few months, sold it for $600.

It was fun, but had a radiator, which is a deal breaker.
krazykonrad
Thanks for posting. You have a very nice LE. If I could get mine back running, much less invited to a car show, I'd be really excited, too.

Konrad
balljoint
i wish I had an LE. Of course, I am barely tolerated as it is. smile.gif
JFJ914
Wow,1 page of pictures and 5 pages of abuse. Is enthusiasm the new criteria for George Hussey/Auto Atlanta style abuse pile on?
KELTY360
QUOTE(John Jentz @ Mar 18 2015, 07:09 AM) *

Wow,1 page of pictures and 5 pages of abuse. Is enthusiasm the new criteria for George Hussey/Auto Atlanta style abuse pile on?

You're exaggerating, a lot of the abuse was self inflicted.
JFJ914
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 18 2015, 11:15 AM) *

What makes any of you think any abuse is OK? If you didn't like what he posted, read something else! I met him on Saturday and the guy I met was on Cloud 9. All he was expressing was the joy of participating in a world class event even if it was only a supporting event.

H*ll, the guy organized 3 parties, a breakfast and a parade. Cut him some slack.
KELTY360
QUOTE(John Jentz @ Mar 18 2015, 07:45 AM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 18 2015, 11:15 AM) *

What makes any of you think any abuse is OK? If you didn't like what he posted, read something else! I met him on Saturday and the guy I met was on Cloud 9. All he was expressing was the joy of participating in a world class event even if it was only a supporting event.

H*ll, the guy organized 3 parties, a breakfast and a parade. Cut him some slack.

Humility is not proclaimed.....it is displayed.
dlestep
It's a good thing that the 914 was on the green !!!
In a way, we were all there with "Tommy the Cat."
~
Reading through this thread was like treading water in a septic tank.
All I know, is that I STILL enjoy the 914, in all of its' forms.
Especially, the one that's on jack-stands, in multiple stages of completion,
in my garage.
I sit in it with coffee and a cigarette, now and again, imagining the changes
and responses to all of its' upgrades.
As soon as I am finished with the Ghia, I will start again, refreshed.
~
So Celebrate Fuckers !
Tom_T
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 17 2015, 01:44 PM) *

Tom, if you were here I'd buy you a beer. beerchug.gif Thanks for that.

No need, but Thanx! .... more like coffee anyway! coffee.gif laugh.gif

I get the abuse too by the self-proclaimed post police & other trolls on here, cuz I use too many words & get enthused about the "914S" history, so I know how you feel.

You & Steve Gaglione over in Tampax Bay should get together, since he also has an all original 'Cicle in the same pristine all original condition as his Bahia 73 2.0 featured in the O&H Forum's "The few, the rare..." nailed thread. He was probably at Amelia too, but I'm not sure.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Old Yella
Did those concourse guys put your balls in a ham slicer for these indiscretions. chair.gif
MDG
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 18 2015, 12:44 PM) *

You & Steve Gaglione over in Tampax Bay should get together, since he also has an all original 'Cicle in the same pristine all original condition as his Bahia 73 2.0 featured in the O&H Forum's "The few, the rare..." nailed thread. He was probably at Amelia too, but I'm not sure.

His '73 is Sahara Beige, no? Not Bahia Red?
Tom_T
QUOTE(MDG @ Mar 18 2015, 10:30 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 18 2015, 12:44 PM) *

His '73 is Sahara Beige, no? Not Bahia Red?

Yes, sorry .... brain fart (confusing with Dave Cheeks or Tod914's).

Apologies... It's been & is a hairy 4-5 weeks with my aunt in hospital back east, & me as decision maker on call from 3-4 am - 5-7 pm my time, then running my biz stuff 5-7 pm to 1-3 or 4 am ... repeat.... so my brain is jelly.

These few lunch or dinner breaks on here are my only "sanity time" for anything else! sad.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Old Yella @ Mar 18 2015, 09:54 AM) *

Did those concourse guys put your balls in a ham slicer for these indiscretions. chair.gif

Probably not, since he was display & not judged. He'd have a few other prep items on the to do list for a PCA concours too, but what the heck! smile.gif

Hey - this guy in the blue shirt looks like the This Old House guy.... .... another Tommy too! biggrin.gif

IPB Image

Having a 1921 Craftsman Bungalow house also competing for my limited resto time & $'s ... so I watch TOH a lot too! dry.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

MDG
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 18 2015, 03:08 PM) *

Yes, sorry .... brain fart (confusing with Dave Cheeks or Tod914's).

Apologies... It's been & is a hairy 4-5 weeks with my aunt in hospital back east, & me as decision maker on call from 3-4 am - 5-7 pm my time, then running my biz stuff 5-7 pm to 1-3 or 4 am ... repeat.... so my brain is jelly.

These few lunch or dinner breaks on here are my only "sanity time" for anything else! sad.gif

Sorry to hear about your aunt. Best wishes.
sda4property@gmail.com
Congrats on the showing. Proud to see an LE on the lawn.
I must say for an enthusiast web site...There is a ton of hate mail.

Disregard the negative posts bro.
I am proud to see what an amazing car you have.
If others are put off by all the pictures.
Than they should move along to another thread on the blog.
The fact you have over 3,200 hits proves...Your LE is a show stopper.

West coast & Cali representing Love for your LE.

Respect
SDA
tumamilhem
QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ Mar 17 2015, 08:37 PM) *

Non-LE related, but since you guys asked...

It's not a Porsche, it's a Volkswagen! No, really. driving.gif
More pics here: 1987 Scirocco 16V - mint

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
OU8AVW
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 18 2015, 02:12 PM) *

Non-LE related, but by request.

1987 Scirocco 16V - mint

I Want! driving.gif
tumamilhem
QUOTE(OU8AVW @ Mar 18 2015, 07:18 PM) *

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 18 2015, 02:12 PM) *

Non-LE related, but by request.

1987 Scirocco 16V - mint

I Want! driving.gif

Well, that's possible. I'm probably (and regretfully) going to be putting it up for sale.
Dion
QUOTE(BuddyV @ Mar 17 2015, 10:00 AM) *

Re: the flared orange car with the #1 on the side.... what's with the thin wheels? Were these used to roll onto the grass?

.... the car would not have run that way, right??

Those tyres were for gravel & snow. "Normal" flared diameter
tyres would be mounted for tarmac. Since the Monte often had
snow covered stages, looks like they wanted to represent
it this way.

Cheers,Dion
tumamilhem
QUOTE(Dion @ Mar 18 2015, 11:32 PM) *

QUOTE(BuddyV @ Mar 17 2015, 10:00 AM) *

Re: the flared orange car with the #1 on the side.... what's with the thin wheels? Were these used to roll onto the grass?

.... the car would not have run that way, right??

Those tyres were for gravel & snow. "Normal" flared diameter
tyres would be mounted for tarmac. Since the Monte often had
snow covered stages, looks like they wanted to represent
it this way.

Cheers,Dion

Correct. They ran gas burners and are as they were in the Monte Carlo Rally.

Click to view attachment
tumamilhem
So I am pretty excited about this...
A few organizations approached me requesting permission to use my photographs from Amelia Island, where our cars were the featured marque, for publication. This is another reason I took and posted so many pictures of all the 914s featured (also see the Amelia Island thread for all the 914s showcased at the Concours), so there would be a good variety of shots and angles for people to enjoy who could not be there in person, especially since previously there were not a lot of photographs of the historic GTs, 916 and 914/8 that were on display together for the first time.

One of the organizations was the Porsche 914 Club of France. I have to say, after 914s being pretty much left out of modern Porsche magazines in circulation featuring models new, vintage or otherwise, it's pretty cool to see pictures of our cars in a magazine after so many decades. What's even cooler, now we have our very own dedicated 914 magazine (check out the 1st issue going to print this week: Fourteener Motoring Magazine).

A preview of what is going to print next week in Europe: pages 8 and 9 of Porsche Club 914 de France Magazine

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
76-914
dead horse.gif
914Next
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 9 2015, 10:01 AM) *

dead horse.gif

Really? Lets all be civil and not start this again.

As for me, I like knowing there is coverage like this out there on our cars.

Steve
sb914
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 9 2015, 07:01 AM) *

dead horse.gif

agree.gif
tumamilhem
QUOTE(914Next @ Apr 9 2015, 10:10 AM) *

dead horse.gif

Steve

Me too, Steve! We have to go back decades to see our cars in a magazine. And since this event is on an international stage, coverage of our cars is being seen all over the world. What 914 owner wouldn't want to see our cars get this kind of recognition featured this way or in a magazine finally? For enthusiasts, this is what we've been waiting to see for a long time... those of us who actually enjoy seeing pictures of our cars and in magazines. driving.gif
Olympic 914

dead horse.gif

Steve

Maybe best just to leave this thread and all its abuse die.

just start another thread with any new info....
tumamilhem
QUOTE(Olympic 1.7 @ Apr 9 2015, 11:13 AM) *

dead horse.gif

Steve

Maybe best just to leave this thread and all its abuse die.

just start another thread with any new info....
Yes, most of us agree. Or people could just stop being haters, pathetic and childish and abusive for no reason whatsoever altogether. There's no reason for it. If they don't like 914s so much as the rest of us, or see pictures of 914s, or enjoy the 914 getting recognition, or in a magazine, pretty much all the things us enthusiasts do enjoy, they can just go over to Pelican so they can feel more validated as a "real" Porsche guy (and stop making themselves look like assholes). And for the people who like to rag on the LE (why?), they can just not comment. This thread isn't for them. Let's enjoy our cars. beerchug.gif aktion035.gif driving.gif
G e o r g e
did you take home grass clippings from the "island"?

they and this thread should be dead by now.....

please do as suggested , start a new thread. let this one "grace" page 2 and beyond
7TPorsh
Hey Tum..., there's a picture of your car in the new June issue of Hemmings. Article about Amelia Island. Don't have my camera handy. pg.65
bandjoey
If you complainers had broadband and not DSL you wouldn't have to wait 20 minutes to load the pictures. dry.gif

Thanks for the update. I like the pictures and instead of letting this go to page 2, why don't we have someone who could move these posts into the event thread? Just a thought. beerchug.gif biggrin.gif
tumamilhem
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ May 22 2015, 01:13 PM) *

Hey Tum..., there's a picture of your car in the new June issue of Hemmings. Article about Amelia Island. Don't have my camera handy. pg.65

Hey thanks for letting me know! My neighbor Mike (Bill Warner's personal assistant and has been working Amelia Island Concours since it began, writing up all the histories on the cars) told me about a month ago when he came over. He stopped by and asked me if mine was the only LE at Amelia and I told him it was. He then handed me his copy of Hemmings, pointed to that picture and said, "well, this is you and this is for you" and gave me his copy. I had just received the current copy of Porsche 914 Club of France's quarterly issue with my car in it and showed him. smile.gif (see post 131)

Thank you for telling me! beerchug.gif
db9146
Personally, since I couldn't make the Amelia Island event, I'd appreciate any and all pics from the event to be uploaded. Then I can peruse and save all that I like, looking for the details that catch my eye and just bypass any that don't strike my fancy.

Tommy, nice car. Congrats on any invite.
brcacti
VERY INTERESTING
jdamiano
Dragging this back out after five years?? Why?? Let me tell all you haters a story. Tommy is a great guy and a personal friend. He probably won’t see this crap because he never comes to this forum because of the negativity he received and is getting again here on another post. This guy is a 914 enthusiast and loves his car. He has an awesome 911 and a mint 968 but usually can be seen in his 914. The first time I took my car to a the local C&C he practically ran up to me to and just made me feel great about my recent purchase. He went out of his way to make sure I went to the local PCA events and introduced me around. I just don’t get some people here on 914World. Not most but some. I even heard someone at Octeenerfest come up to Tommy and personally mentioned this post and how it was BS. I’m also going to post to the other tread throwing shade his way.
billh1963
QUOTE(jdamiano @ Jan 21 2020, 05:54 PM) *

Dragging this back out after five years?? Why?? Let me tell all you haters a story. Tommy is a great guy and a personal friend. He probably won’t see this crap because he never comes to this forum because of the negativity he received and is getting again here on another post. This guy is a 914 enthusiast and loves his car. He has an awesome 911 and a mint 968 but usually can be seen in his 914. The first time I took my car to a the local C&C he practically ran up to me to and just made me feel great about my recent purchase. He went out of his way to make sure I went to the local PCA events and introduced me around. I just don’t get some people here on 914World. Not most but some. I even heard someone at Octeenerfest come up to Tommy and personally mentioned this post and how it was BS. I’m also going to post to the other tread throwing shade his way.

I'm glad you are his buddy. But, you weren't even on the forum when all this went down.

Those of us who have been around a while remember it.

JRust listed the car on this forum (you can easily find the original ad) and mentioned the work done and the salvage title

Your buddy bought the car and was enjoying it. He even started a few threads asking for advice on solving a couple engine problems he was having. These were good threads. Unfortunately, Tommy did not want to listen to a few of the true experts on 914's on the forum because he had a "master mechanic" who was working on the car.

Then, things turned strange. All those threads about the engine issues were deleted. No moderator confessed to deleting them. But, many of us remember the event. Then, your buddy started a "pump and dump" campaign where he was talking about trying to trade his car for a 3.2 911. Unfortunately, he was conveniently leaving out the part about the salvage title, obvious work that had been done, etc. to potential "victims". When called out on it, he dropped out of sight.

Now, looks like it's the same old story. In the Werkes description he says, ". An authentic stock survivor, this LE has never been restored, only maintained to continue to be driven with its 1974 Duval tag." So, not only is he claiming originality, is he also claiming the car has always been a Jacksonville car?

Be careful how far you go in your defense lest you end up with egg on your face
SirAndy
QUOTE(jdamiano @ Jan 21 2020, 02:54 PM) *

@jdamiano

Then how do you explain this?
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=342917

Your friend is representing this car as:
"An authentic stock survivor, this LE has never been restored, only maintained to continue to be driven with its 1974 Duval tag"

Never been restored? Authentic stock survivor? Only maintained?
screwy.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 21 2020, 03:48 PM) *
Never been restored? Authentic stock survivor? Only maintained?
screwy.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=88978

It didn't even look anything like an LE some 10 years ago and had rust and accident damage. It was repaired, restored and repainted.
shades.gif
mepstein
Damm that internet and the way it never forgets. beerchug.gif
sholman5
Authentic? Yes it is an LE.
Stock? Yes Motor is stock, maybe not original
Survivor? It's still running and driving.
Your interpretation might be different. In the end it's a nice car and is well maintained. Let a sleeping dog lye. We all got out of high school many years ago.
KELTY360
Alternative facts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.