Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Did somebody say "Scirocco"?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
914werke
86 Isuzu Impulse Turbo....
shades.gif Just say'in..
OU8AVW
My older brother had an '84 back in 87. It was the first car I drove solo. He was so cool to let me drive it.
I guess we're all fans of under rated sports cars biggrin.gif
I had an '86.5 16v. Black and super clean. It was faster than any of my 944s. I almost got in so many accesents because it would stop soooo much quicker than any other cars on the road.
I'll look for a picture.
rangrbob
Here is a couple pictures of mine when it was featured in VW&PORSCHE back in 1988. I also found some 914 content in the magazine too.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Scott S
The Scirocco was my dream car in high school. Finally found a decent MK1 – soooooo excited. Called the insurance company to get my budget all together and they had it classified as a sports car – the rates were double of rabbit. I had to pull the plug!
Fast forward a month or so - Dad was doing lots of business in EU and decided to buy a grey market Audi 5000 (it was ’84). At the dealer he was using in Germany, there was rabbit (Golf) for sale that he said was in really good shape for $2200. I had 1700. He fronted me the rest under the premise that the car could not leave our driveway until it was paid off (I probably put a thousand miles on that car backing it out of the garage, washing it, and driving it back in before I paid it off). I threw all the US GTI stuff on it. Loved it. Got into auto crossing in college and at one of the bigger events, they put the car into the modified class (it was built as an IT/street prepared car). They said it was due to the euro vin number.

After some research it was discovered to be a 1978 GTI. I stripped off the US spoiler, put the stock front flares back on (US GTI were molded to match the spoiler) and fiber glassed the broken up duck bill spoiler that came with the car. I did retain the 14” GTI wheels (never liked the 13” alloys).

Miss that car. It’s been decades, but last I heard the shell is still sitting propped up in a junkyard in Durango, CO if anyone wants a euro GTI shell (that is a bit twisted). My name was painted on the drivers door. I lost a rear wheel and put it into a ditch on it’s side….

I also helped put the owner of Neuspeeds kids through college. They were the go-to guys for sure. Then I found Techtonics Tuning for the 1985 GTI that replaced the rabbit. Drove the cr@p out of that car too.

I loved that era of VW’s and Audis. I still keep my eye open for a 1992 2.0 16V GTI (with the factory BBS wheels) – or a GT Quattro Coupe (a would trade my tail dragger for a good one of those…… a Scirocco on steroids!)

Fun thread!
tumamilhem
QUOTE(OU8AVW @ Mar 19 2015, 10:35 AM) *

My older brother had an '84 back in 87. It was the first car I drove solo. He was so cool to let me drive it.
I guess we're all fans of under rated sports cars biggrin.gif
I had an '86.5 16v. Black and super clean. It was faster than any of my 944s. I almost got in so many accesents because it would stop soooo much quicker than any other cars on the road.
I'll look for a picture.

Yep. The MK2 Scirocco 16V was faster than a Porsche 944. driving.gif
Unobtanium-inc
First car, an 82, one wiper. It was a lot of fun.
beech4rd
My 1978 Scirocco. The picture was taken in 1999. This was the second Scirocco I owned; the first was a '78 "S" which had Recarro seats, red trim and a sunroof. Unfortunately it was t-boned by a Taurus and had to be put down. The silver car was a basic model and I looked after it. In 2003, I realized I wasn't driving it much - I spent a lot of time in my 911 so I sold it to a guy who totaled it within three months. Would love to find another, or even better, a good five speed Corrado with a VR6.

Click to view attachment
KELTY360
QUOTE(Ferg @ Mar 18 2015, 08:32 PM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 18 2015, 04:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Ferg @ Mar 18 2015, 01:31 PM) *

Damn you Ferg!.....I'm looking at it tonight. shades.gif

Glad I could help smile.gif

It was a good starting point for someone who's really into these, but not for me. A genuine 10 footer. Straight, no apparent rust in critical spots, intact original interior. 198,000 miles with about 50,000 on an '86 GTI engine. But, the bright trim around windows had been painted black which was flaking and the original silver paint had been changed to a silver blue that was also flaking in many spots...but that diverted attention from the many spots of overspray. On the road it was tight and rattle free with excellent brakes, a responsive clutch and adequate acceleration in 1st and 2nd but it ran out of poop in 3rd and got a little buzzy. Overall, it was just OK, not as much fun as I remembered back in the late 70s. It was fun checking it out.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

EdwardBlume
Awesome cars. The Scirocco was on my dream list. Too far back in the rear view mirror now. Back on topic, its amazing how the 914 is still a relevant car.
malcolm2
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 18 2015, 08:40 PM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 18 2015, 09:31 PM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 18 2015, 04:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Ferg @ Mar 18 2015, 01:31 PM) *

Damn you Ferg!.....I'm looking at it tonight. shades.gif

Any glaring weak areas to look for on these? It's supposed to be a very original '81.

Not really a rust bucket like the teener, but they had their mechanical issues. Probably a 1.8 8v w/ hydro lifters, CIS injection & a 5 speed. Water pumps go bad if it sits too long. Rubber & plastic bushings in the shift linkage wear out, small drum brakes in the back that had leaky cylinders, 90mm CV joints wear out (they later changed to beefier 100mm). Might have electrical issues too- alternators wear out & need new carbon contacts, they kept adding accessories & the wiring suffered for it, AC weighs a ton as well.

I will add the normal FI issues, like vacuum leaks. barf.gif CIS is mechanical, no electrics making the squirt. The Fuel Distributor is very delicate. The inside that is, so change the fuel filter regularly. The injectors are a bitch to get out and mine have 2 o-rings. The small one gets left off sometimes. If it is like my 85 VW Cabriolet, it has 2 fuel pumps. 1 in the tank is cooled by the fuel so don't run too low.

I got started on Forums at the Yahoo Cabriolet forum. They have a couple guys that are absolutely awesome. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/vw_cabriolets/info

Activity has slowed to nothing, but those guys still monitor it. Cabriolet and Scirocco are basically the same. Get a Bentley manual.

BTW: I am in the "always wanted one" group too.
falcor75
VWvortex Scirocco Mk1/Mk2 forum is awsome and full of friendly people too.
rhcb914
All I can say is Durocco! I had an 85 back in the late 90's I used for rally cross and a snow car. Great car, wish I still had it.

Wish I did this to mine...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7NX7usASD8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQREhPfA5w4
bzettner
I bought my first NEW Scirocco S in 1980 @ 18, $8,500...I had bought my mother's '76 from her after my POS Vega GT wagon blew up but sold it and bought my first 914 band aid...a 78 Fiat X1/9
porbmw
Bought a 76, new, for 6K. Was a blast to drive, replaced my teener that I'd bought new in 74, and sold to fund college.

Troublefree for 100,000 miles, sold it to buy a car for "expected" family.

Saw it in a parking lot, about 2-3 years after I'd sold it....by then the new owner had, through neglect or abuse, allowed the front of the fenders (above headlights) to rust out thoroughly (quasi teener rocker panel issue... traps sand and water), and misc surface rust everywhere.

Don't know if VW did much rustproofing on the very early models, so beware if onsidering one of that vintage

Sure wish I had it back in my "pre-sold" condition.
steuspeed
Still have mine after 20yrs. 81 MKI shaved and sprayed Porsche moss green by PO. A 944 color near the original, but more metallic. Needs a new paint job. Engine is 2.0L bored German block. Audi 5000 throttle body. Big valve head port and polish. Techtonics cam and exhaust. 210mm clutch. Quaife limited slip. Bilsteins and big bars? 15"x7" BBS w/Yokohama S-drive tires. She gets up and goes.

KELTY360
QUOTE(steuspeed @ Mar 25 2015, 02:27 PM) *

Still have mine after 20yrs. 81 MKI shaved and sprayed Porsche moss green by PO. A 944 color near the original, but more metallic. Needs a new paint job. Engine is 2.0L bored German block. Audi 5000 throttle body. Big valve head port and polish. Techtonics cam and exhaust. 210mm clutch. Quaife limited slip. Bilsteins and big bars? 15"x7" BBS w/Yokohama S-drive tires. She gets up and goes.

Wicked thumb3d.gif
tumamilhem
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 18 2015, 05:58 PM) *

It's not a Porsche, it's a Volkswagen! No, really. driving.gif

Several people asked me recently in another thread to post pictures of mine. So here you go.

It's an '87 16V. They only made these for a year and a half (86 1/2 - 88 at the stop of the US run). The 16V was the fastest Scirocco made.

It's pretty much mint. It's a frame up restoration by a dedicated Scirocco shop in California. Engine rebuild. New head/intakes/injector sleeves, new alternator. New hoses, coil, rotors, distributor, plugs, cables, seals, gaskets. Rare no sunroof (more rigid). New Bilstein shocks and neuspeed springs w/ poly bushings. Rebuilt and painted (VW blue) calipers, neuspeed support bar and other tasteful performance upgrades. Upgraded to poly bushings all the way around. The A/C is updated and converted. Absolutely no rust anywhere. New NASA material hood liner. Small parts replaced such as tabs, clips relays, fuses, bulbs, etc. Interior is like new new. All seats reupholstered with leather and OEM 16V specific cloth fabric inserts. I can honestly say they're so comfortable, like driving in a bucket recliner. Dash is perfect. Everything works. New OEM carpet. Very nice respray in original color Flash Silver Metallic. Rubbers replaced, wing restored, new grill, lights/lenses, everything works. It has an updated Sony CD/Satellite/MP3/Radio and modern, upgraded Blaupunkt speakers. It's fast, it's fun, it handles amazing and is REALLY comfortable driving. It's like a brand new car. And like the 914, it gets tons of looks.

Recently, Eric Shea, Jaime (oldschool) and Andy (SocalAndy) were at my house and admiring it. Jaime got in it and fired it up. He looked like a kid in a candy store. I told him I was probably going to put it up for sale. He jokingly told me not to tell him that because he'd want to buy it. driving.gif

I'm actually considering putting it up for sale so I can purchase a G50 Carrera, which I've been hunting on and off for a year. But prices have doubled in a year, so either this or my MK4 GLI VR6 will have to go while one stays as my daily driver.

Here's some walk-around shots of the exterior, interior and engine bay. Enjoy.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 18 2015, 05:58 PM) *

So after much careful consideration, I've (most reluctantly) decided to put my mint 16V up for sale. I've been looking for an 87-89 G50 Carrera for a year but they've pretty much gotten out of my reach now. So I'm thinking of doing a 914/6 conversion. And I can't have both. One's got to pay for the other. Some here ghosts ave expressed interest in my car. I'll entertain those here interested before I create an ad for the masses.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.