Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Did somebody say "Scirocco"?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
scott_in_nh
here's mine - miss it.
The kids called it "Bullseye" because we would get pulled over all the time.
JFJ914
I had a '75. Thirteen hundred CC's, 75 HP and as many smiles per mile in the twistys as a 914!
VaccaRabite
That poor rear bumper. The crash bumper made it look like the ski deck on a power boat.

Always like the Roccos.
Zach
scott_in_nh
I wanted Euro bumpers, hell - Euro everything, but had no money in those days...

Bought it for $1600, drove it another 86k and sold it for $2000 biggrin.gif
KELTY360
When I had my first 914 in '73, my brother traded in his Dodge Coronet on a new Scirocco. He named it Silverfax. We used to have a blast carving canyons in SoCal with those cars. Always enjoyed driving that car.
Java2570
I had a 1978 Scirocco but unfortunately don't have any photos. It was a great car
and I wish I still had it.
Johny Blackstain
I still have my 75 biggrin.gif Started to restomod it & still have not got around to finishing it; I call her the great unfinished project. dry.gif
r_towle
loved the older boxy ones but came really close to getting a corrado just for the engine setup....those were quick.
Johny Blackstain
I drove mine coast to coast 10 times, so I became attached to her. Spent tons of coin & time on her but never got around to finishing the project. Also, my 1st love (the 914) got in the way, along with my truck. I'm only 52 so I still have time but redoing my six is still in front of my Rocco, so she stays garaged.
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 18 2015, 12:11 PM) *

loved the older boxy ones but came really close to getting a corrado just for the engine setup....those were quick.

I love both the 1st and 2nd generation Sciroccos.

I've almost gone after a Corrado a couple of times - I always considered it the 3rd generation regardless of the name.

Give me the G60 4 cyl that was never supposed to happen, but did because the VR6 wasn't ready.
gfg3
Wow, does this bring back memories! My Scirocco was a black on black '83 Wolfsburg edition. Drove the wheels off it. Taught 3 kids how to work a stick using it and only burned out 2 clutches! Sold it with 245,000 miles on it. I wish I had some pictures.....and there are many days I wish I had it back.

George
balljoint
I've never owned one but I've always been a fan. wub.gif
Johny Blackstain
I've owned 4- my 75 which I still have, a 78 & 80 that were parts cars & an 87 16v. I had fun w/ the 78 & cut the top off so I could see how it would look as a convertible. Not as nice lines as the Rabbit cabriolet- wish I'd taken pictures.
falcor75
IPB Image

This is the one I built, bought it in 2002 as a project with the engine in the trunk, painted at least five different shades of brown/gold/sand metallic. Had her for 8 years and when I sold her she was fully restored, rollcaged, 1.8T 20v'd and damn fun.

smile.gif

Edit:

found an old (very old) crappy phone clip of a 3'rd gear acceleration....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TDnjk9hcIw
bakerj
Back in college I was shopping for a used car. A used lot had for sale a gold colored Scirocco from Callaway. It had a big turbo, special Callaway seats, and an oil leak. Took it for a spin and it was pretty quick. They were asking $1800 for it. Ended up with a Saab 900.. It was a really cool car.
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Mar 18 2015, 03:25 PM) *

IPB Image

This is the one I built, bought it in 2002 as a project with the engine in the trunk, painted at least five different shades of brown/gold/sand metallic. Had her for 8 years and when I sold her she was fully restored, rollcaged, 1.8T 20v'd and damn fun.

smile.gif

Love it! wub.gif
Bulldog9
Always loved and wanted one of those.

I did have an 84 GTI, 86 GTI, 88 Quantum GL, 84 Audi 400 Quattro, 1985 Audi 5000 Turbo Quattro Black on Black.......... This was all in a range of 4 years...........

NEVER should have sold that 84GTI.. Loved that car, but as you see I kept climbing up and up in 'quality' but all that happened was more and more time spend at the dealer and LIBERAL use of the warranty...........

In 1989 I bought my first Saab 900T and never looked back at the VW/Audi marque.......
Chris H.
Another VW I ALWAYS WANTED!!! Love both Mk 1 & 2. Remember sitting in one while waiting to pick up our new light blue 2-door Dasher. Dad traded in a yellow (Shantung Yellow I think it was called) '71 Squareback. Crain-Daly Volkswagen....ATL. Seems like yesterday but it was the Fall of 1975.
KELTY360
This thread has struck a pleasure nerve, but.....WE NEED MORE PICTURES!!!
Ferg
I'll just leave this here...

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/4932453500.html
tumamilhem
It's not a Porsche, it's a Volkswagen! No, really. driving.gif

Several people asked me recently in another thread to post pictures of mine. So here you go.

It's an '87 16V. They only made these for a year and a half (86 1/2 - 88 at the stop of the US run). The 16V was the fastest Scirocco made.

It's pretty much mint. It's a frame up restoration by a dedicated Scirocco shop in California. Engine rebuild. New head/intakes/injector sleeves, new alternator. New hoses, coil, rotors, distributor, plugs, cables, seals, gaskets. Rare no sunroof (more rigid). New Bilstein shocks and neuspeed springs w/ poly bushings. Rebuilt and painted (VW blue) calipers, neuspeed support bar and other tasteful performance upgrades. Upgraded to poly bushings all the way around. The A/C is updated and converted. Absolutely no rust anywhere. New NASA material hood liner. Small parts replaced such as tabs, clips relays, fuses, bulbs, etc. Interior is like new new. All seats reupholstered with leather and OEM 16V specific cloth fabric inserts. I can honestly say they're so comfortable, like driving in a bucket recliner. Dash is perfect. Everything works. New OEM carpet. Very nice respray in original color Flash Silver Metallic. Rubbers replaced, wing restored, new grill, lights/lenses, everything works. It has an updated Sony CD/Satellite/MP3/Radio and modern, upgraded Blaupunkt speakers. It's fast, it's fun, it handles amazing and is REALLY comfortable driving. It's like a brand new car. And like the 914, it gets tons of looks.

Recently, Eric Shea, Jaime (oldschool) and Andy (SocalAndy) were at my house and admiring it. Jaime got in it and fired it up. He looked like a kid in a candy store. I told him I was probably going to put it up for sale. He jokingly told me not to tell him that because he'd want to buy it. driving.gif

I'm actually considering putting it up for sale so I can purchase a G50 Carrera, which I've been hunting on and off for a year. But prices have doubled in a year, so either this or my MK4 GLI VR6 will have to go while one stays as my daily driver.

Here's some walk-around shots of the exterior, interior and engine bay. Enjoy.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
rgolia
When I married my wife in 1980 she had a 76 dark blue scirocco. I dove that thing all over the Nevada desert (near Bodi CA) working on my Master thesis project in geology.....what a beast and fun to drive. I landed hard on a rock that but a large dent in the oil pan. When i got home and took the pan off I found the siphon tube broken off with a fragment lodged in the tube.......could have been stranded in the desert, but nothing stops a scirocco.

I wanted to get the wife one restored but she hates looking back.
914Next
Very nice Tommy! Love it.
tumamilhem
QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ Mar 18 2015, 01:04 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 18 2015, 12:11 PM) *

I love both the 1st and 2nd generation Sciroccos.

I've almost gone after a Corrado a couple of times - I always considered it the 3rd generation regardless of the name.

Give me the G50 4 cyl that was never supposed to happen, but did because the VR6 wasn't ready.

The Coronado was actually intended to be the MK3 Scirocco. The only reason it was given a different name is because thought the Scirocco ended in the US in 1988, it continued for a couple more years in Europe and Japan. So since the new "MK3" Scirocco was given a different name since they were being sold simultaneously.
tumamilhem
QUOTE(914Next @ Mar 18 2015, 06:16 PM) *

Very nice Tommy! Love it.

Thanks, pal! You almost saw it. I was going to drive it to the World Member Night Out we did that Friday, but figured since it was a 914 gathering, I drove the LE.
tumamilhem
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 18 2015, 02:57 PM) *

I've owned 4- my 75 which I still have, a 78 & 80 that were parts cars & an 87 16v. I had fun w/ the 78 & cut the top off so I could see how it would look as a convertible. Not as nice lines as the Rabbit cabriolet- wish I'd taken pictures.

87 16V, baby! Dude, we share LEs and Roccos! beerchug.gif

creamsicle914.jpg creamsicle914.jpg driving.gif driving.gif
tumamilhem
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Mar 18 2015, 03:25 PM) *

IPB Image

smile.gif

Edit:

found an old (very old) crappy phone clip of a 3'rd gear acceleration....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TDnjk9hcIw

I did the jet roof rack thingy! You drive your plane to the airport? beer.gif lol Cool shot!
Beeliner
When I was engaged, I taught my future wife how to drive standard shift with my 914. A few months after we got married, I bought her a silver Scirocco.

She later got one in Cobalt Blue with a tan interior which went well with my third 914, also blue.

Then came the kid. There went the cars. confused24.gif how did that happen?
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 18 2015, 06:24 PM) *

Tommy- what's the name of the Scirocco shop in Cali you mentioned in your previous post? I might have to take advantage of their services if they specialize in the Rocco. Cross country sounds like a pain though, but it might be worth it.
tumamilhem
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 18 2015, 07:43 PM) *

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 18 2015, 06:24 PM) *

Tommy- what's the name of the Scirocco shop in Cali you mentioned in your previous post? I might have to take advantage of their services if they specialize in the Rocco. Cross country sounds like a pain though, but it might be worth it.

Will PM you. beerchug.gif
bigkensteele
I don't think that I have any pictures of my bronze '85, but it is one of those cars I really, really regret selling. I was in college and fell in and out of love with cars (and girls) quickly. I never have regretted any of the girls I let go, but that Scirocco is a different story.

Years before I got mine, my brother had a '76, which I also loved, but it had dealer installed A/C which caused constant problems with belts failing and such. Other than that, it was a pretty good car.
Johny Blackstain
2015 VW Scirocco... barf.gif too round.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Ferg @ Mar 18 2015, 01:31 PM) *

Damn you Ferg!.....I'm looking at it tonight. shades.gif
Larmo63
My first brand new car was a '84 GTI. I found Neuspeed and spent most of my paychecks back then on their stuff. They had some cool pieces and I had the red "Neuspeed" stickers on the rear side windows. I had someone hit me (minor) so I had the whole car repainted in the original black and sourced Euro grille/bumpers that I installed. I thought I was pretty cool with KROQ blasting Oingo Boingo and those cool(?) clothes, Ray-Bans……

Never mind.
tumamilhem
^ My brother in law would agree Larmo63. Oingo Boingo is his fav. smile.gif

And yeah, the new Rocco is way too round - and even less of a back seat than before. Doesn't even resemble the MK1 or MK2 at all. Looks more like a rounded Golf. I miss the days when cars looked distinctive from each other. The MK2 almost doesn't even look like a hatch but more of a fastback.
Johny Blackstain
I too spent way too much money @ Neuspeed & still have an old catalog. I have their stickers all over my tool chests. They made good stuff for the water cooled VW scene except for their short shift kit- way too short & became impossible to tell what gear you were in.
KELTY360
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 18 2015, 04:55 PM) *

Any glaring weak areas to look for on these? It's supposed to be a very original '81.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 18 2015, 09:31 PM) *

Any glaring weak areas to look for on these? It's supposed to be a very original '81.

Not really a rust bucket like the teener, but they had their mechanical issues. Probably a 1.8 8v w/ hydro lifters, CIS injection & a 5 speed. Water pumps go bad if it sits too long. Rubber & plastic bushings in the shift linkage wear out, small drum brakes in the back that had leaky cylinders, 90mm CV joints wear out (they later changed to beefier 100mm). Might have electrical issues too- alternators wear out & need new carbon contacts, they kept adding accessories & the wiring suffered for it, AC weighs a ton as well.
Bulldog9
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 18 2015, 09:29 PM) *

^ My brother in law would agree Larmo63. Oingo Boingo is his fav. smile.gif

And yeah, the new Rocco is way too round - and even less of a back seat than before. Doesn't even resemble the MK1 or MK2 at all. Looks more like a rounded Golf. I miss the days when cars looked distinctive from each other. The MK2 almost doesn't even look like a hatch but more of a fastback.

Oingo Boingo, now that memory flash hurt my brain.............. shades.gif
oldschool
Look what'sClick to view attachment on the side of my first 914....
JRust
I had an 83 when I got married in 93. Bought it for $3000 & drove it for 3 years. Sold it to my inlaws for their kids. They drove it 3 years until one of them wrecked it. Always wanted an 87 shades.gif
BuddyV
AAAh, the Scirroco.....

I wanted one so badly when I was 16 years old in 1985. I found a used one and was about to buy it... but my father INSISTED that I take advantage of the AAA car-check service.

I met the guy at the AAA in San Francisco... an hour later, the tech came out and pointed out at least 20 things that were being held on my string and tape in the engine bay.

beerchug.gif for my Dad's good judgement.

I could have never afforded the repairs.

(but wish I could have owned one.... they are very slick)
poorsche914
I bought a '90 G60 Corrado new smile.gif
White with black leather.
Added a chip, smaller supercharger pulley, and exhaust.
Fun car but the g-lader went out after a couple years and only place to replace it was the dealer for $$$$.
Ended up trading it dry.gif

driving.gif
Chris H.
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 18 2015, 08:31 PM) *

The '81 Scirocco S is one of the most desireable of the Mark 1's if I'm not mistaken Marc. That'd be too many cool things in your garage. Sorry you'd be over your limit biggrin.gif .

Look for rust...engine area, shock towers, cowl, and make sure it hasn't been hit hard. Other than that the usual old car stuff...

Keep us posted!
tumamilhem
QUOTE(JRust @ Mar 18 2015, 10:34 PM) *

I had an 83 when I got married in 93. Bought it for $3000 & drove it for 3 years. Sold it to my inlays for their kids. They drove it 3 years until one of them wrecked it. Always wanted an 87 shades.gif

An 87 16V? shades.gif
JRust
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 18 2015, 08:31 PM) *

An 87 16V? shades.gif

Duh! The real question was red or black? My 83 was silver although the 5 speed tranny was a PITA to get into 1st. Had to catch it just right. My inlaws went through couple clutches with their kids with it. I got used to it when I had it. Although when I borrowed it a year or so after selling it. I couldn't get it into first at all. LOL
Ferg

Glad I could help smile.gif
Larmo63
I liked the plain "golf ball" shift lever I had on my GTI and I saw a 914 at the swap two weeks ago with one of those on it.
falcor75
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 19 2015, 02:31 AM) *

Check for rust in the rear axle attachment points, its very common. Chassiwise its the same as a Mk1 Golf, the only thing that really stops it is people that can handle the K-jet and bodges it up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.