Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: need help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rube914
Hello 914 world...I live in seattle , wa and I need help!!!!!!I picked up a 1975 914 and It came with an extra motor..I rebuilt that motor at a shop and I descovered it was already bored to 2400 cc..I threw the stock f I system on it and I have a flame thrower kit on it aswell..it's been cold and Rainey lately and I went outside to start it and all I got was a click from the starter...I need help with any help someone can offer...I'll be willing to pay..thanks for looking
RonnieJ
Did you reconnect the grounding strap?
Dave_Darling
The traditional offering for on-site help is charred flesh and malted beverages. (BBQ and beer!) Very few of us do this for the money.

There's an active group of 914 folks up your way, hopefully some of them will respond.

Next, the stock FI is unlikely to work well on a 2400cc motor. It may work well enough to start the car if you mess with it, but it will be significantly sub-optimal in overall performance and driveability.

Now it sounds like the starter isn't even turning over, if all you're hearing is "click". If that is the case, you need to check the whole starter circuit. One of the easiest parts to forget about is, as RonnieJ said, the ground strap from the back of the transmission to the bottom of the trunk floor. The ground path for the starter goes through the transmission body and the body of the car to the battery (-) post, so you need to make sure those connections are clean and tight.

If that is OK, check the power connections. There is, of course, the big cable from the battery (+) terminal to the starter. Make sure its connections are clean and tight. Additionally, there's the signal from the key. That comes in on the yellow wire that is plugged into the starter. Make sure that connection is clean and tight. Check it for voltage when the key is in the "start" position; it should have +12V when unplugged from the starter--and at least 9V when plugged into the starter. If it's less, then you have a high-resistance connection somewhere in that part of the circuit and you need to find it and clean it and tighten it up.

This all assumes that the battery is pretty well charged, though. So double-check that, and put it on a charger overnight just to make sure.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.