Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drilling hubs for 5 lug
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Alphaogre
I am looking to get rid of my 5 lug conversion kit and have the hubs drilled out and studs pressed in. I live in North County near VW Paradise but they seemed to shy away from it and mentioned a shop called fat performance, but they are up in LA. Anyone know of any shops that they could recommend for this type of work in the north county or San Diego area?

Or should I just get my drill out and just eyeball it... haha biggrin.gif
bulitt
QUOTE(Alphaogre @ Mar 20 2015, 12:13 PM) *

I am looking to get rid of my 5 lug conversion kit and have the hubs drilled out and studs pressed in. I live in North County near VW Paradise but they seemed to shy away from it and mentioned a shop called fat performance, but they are up in LA. Anyone know of any shops that they could recommend for this type of work in the north county or San Diego area?

Or should I just get my drill out and just eyeball it... haha biggrin.gif

I think you are looking to have your 4 hole hubs drilled for 5 hole?
Contact Eric Shea at PMB performance in Utah, or PM him on this forum.
Few are better.
colingreene
Fat is in orange county.
'73-914kid
Get ahold of Eric Shea. I tried to get FAT to do mine a couple of years back, and they wanted an insane amount of money to drill 5 freeking holes. Setting up a mill on a 365 degree table really isn't that tough, nor should it take all that long.
G e o r g e
try Costa Mesa R & D. I have no idea on cost, but I'm sure they would do them.

Also Bruce Stone probably knows someone as well
infraredcalvin
I'd be interested in having 1 maybe 2 of my sets done as well, could be a better deal if a few sets were done. I'm not too far from SD, I'd be happy to coordinate with an Orange County shop.
colingreene
I could potentially do the work really. I just have to figure out what its worth to me.
Ethan, Fat is wildly over priced anymore. You should have seen the price they wanted for doing my heads.
veekry9
Well,if you have a proven ability to drill holes to a tolerance of +/-0.005 gdt squarely into an iron surface with or without a drill press.
The holes must meet a tolerance of +0.003/-.004 on diameter as the stud is retained by the press fit when driven in.
Any deviation from those numbers and the stud will be stressed and may fail prematurely,they must match the wheel seats.
Losing a wheel at speed is not cool in oncoming traffic,like losing a wing spar. bye1.gif
Sorta like driving a 914 with original hard brake lines,or even,gasp,flexlines.Normal replacement duty cycle.Due diligence.
veekry9
Fabricating a jig that locates on the original bp would make it possible to do the job with pilot bushings and drills.
Still need a press as the stud is a negative clearance,interference fit and must be driven squarely,a mere hammer allows too much chance of a stud seated at an angle.
A block with a close fit hole on the stud would work to solve that.Use the correct studs,not cheapos,not all bolts are equal.
A drill ground for drilling iron is paramount,not the same as steel.
bdstone914
It is not just drilling five holes. The back side needs to be faced off for the stud to fit flat. I have used FAT and they charged $90 for doing a pair with out studs. If you attempt it not where the two 6mm holes are for the screws. If you start on the wrong stud you will drill out one of the holes.

And the flanges are mild steel not iron.
veekry9
That's a good response,a bargain at that price. biggrin.gif
Spoke
I had Eric Shea drill hubs for me. Didn't press fit; E suggested to do screw in. Worked out great. Don't have to surface the back of the hub and wouldn't have to remove the hubs if you wanted to change stud length.

Got the studs here:

Race Studs.com
Alphaogre
Thanks for the recommendations. If you do not press the studs in, then what keeps them from backing out? Red lock-tight? I would l like to run steel open ended lug nuts and not cap lugs nuts.
ndfrigi
Here is my recent conversion from Eric's product but I got mine from bill1963 that he bought a few years ago but didn't use it since he bought 2 sets.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
ThePaintedMan
I'd just send them to Eric as well.

It should be noted that the intended use for the car should be taken into account. If the hubs are drilled, there are several studs that will be going through *very* little steel. I have already seen one car (tooms351) with a 5-lug conversion that was pulling the studs through the hub after track use (and slicks). Eric will weld in reinforcements where necessary and do the job right.
Alphaogre
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Mar 23 2015, 06:27 AM) *

I'd just send them to Eric as well.

It should be noted that the intended use for the car should be taken into account. If the hubs are drilled, there are several studs that will be going through *very* little steel. I have already seen one car (tooms351) with a 5-lug conversion that was pulling the studs through the hub after track use (and slicks). Eric will weld in reinforcements where necessary and do the job right.

That's a good point, I would be doing some track events, but not with slicks and a mighty 1.7 motor biggrin.gif
colingreene
I am a Aerospace engineer with a mill, my dad is a Aerospace engineer who also did his own and my friend with the mill is weirdly enough a Aerospace engineer. I figure i could handle it but, im sure you will get it taken care of.
oldschool
QUOTE(colingreene @ Mar 24 2015, 10:28 PM) *

I am a Aerospace engineer with a mill, my dad is a Aerospace engineer who also did his own and my friend with the mill is weirdly enough a Aerospace engineer. I figure i could handle it but, im sure you will get it taken care of.

Hey Soylent green how much to drill mine rolleyes.gif
colingreene
Do you have spare hubs i can drill or do we have to pull the parts off your car?
Are we going to do thread in or press in?
infraredcalvin
Where in so cal are you? I've got some alredy drilled for press in style you could use as a template.
colingreene
Lake Forest.
oldschool
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Mar 26 2015, 09:31 PM) *

Where in so cal are you? I've got some alredy drilled for press in style you could use as a template.

POMONA blink.gif
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(oldschool @ Mar 26 2015, 10:42 PM) *

QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Mar 26 2015, 09:31 PM) *

POMONA blink.gif

Whoops sorry, I meant where is Mr. Green's location. Lake Forest is close to me.

I'm headed to my shop this weekend, I'll dig up what I have and bring them home. I think I need at least one pair drilled, I've got a mismatched set of drilled hubs for press in studs (one early, one late that can be used as template/setup). I'll bring them home and we can coordinate if Green is up for it.

Lemme know.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.