Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New original 914 sun visors on Ebay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > Your eBay and Craigslist Ads for 914 Stuff
Pages: 1, 2
bandjoey
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-Sun-Vi...b0e&vxp=mtr

No connection. If I win a lotto, I'd buy a set.
KELTY360
I didn't realize that '74-'76 didn't have the passenger mirror. Is that true?
Mike Bellis
Might be A&P Girl? popcorn[1].gif
Perry Kiehl Clone
The last set I had, which I sold about eight years ago, cost $350.
Cuda911
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 20 2015, 05:39 PM) *

My '74 had a passenger mirror in the visor. But, I had it recovered during the last visor group buy. The originals get so "puffy" with age that they look horrible.

This set that is for sale looks great... first time I've seen NOS ones posted.
Big Len
My '74 has the mirror too.

Those are sweet.
bigkensteele
I have only owned a '75 and a '76, and both had mirrors.

These are being sold by Cary who goes by A&P Girl here. She was selling them here recently but without the mirror. I don't recall how much she was asking.

I have to confess that I am curious as to how she has sourced these. Would not be surprised if she found out they were used on another German car and bought a bunch of new old stock. Regardless of how she pulled it off, I always admire capitalism in action.
raynekat
Hey.....I just bought those.

They were incredible.

Hopefully will look very nice in my 1971 restoration I'm embarked on now.
My car had NO sun visors.
Should be a big improvement.

Thanks for the heads up...914 World.
Cheers
eric9144
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Mar 20 2015, 04:45 PM) *

Yup shades.gif
914itis
I purchase the non- mirrored version from her a few months ago . That are great.
Very happy with them.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Mar 20 2015, 03:45 PM) *

agree.gif barf.gif
Steve Snyder
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 20 2015, 08:39 PM) *

Info on what model year had what visor can be found here: http://www.p914.com/p914_mirrors_vanity.htm

Despite getting the model year info wrong, those visors look really close to the originals. The vinyl is more textured, but otherwise they look quite nice. I don't know about $450 + shipping worth of nice, but definitely nice.
mepstein
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 20 2015, 11:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Mar 20 2015, 03:45 PM) *

agree.gif barf.gif

If she can find them so can we.
Mikey914
I just put an inquiry in to my guy in Germany. Thinking GB?
mepstein
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 21 2015, 01:45 PM) *

I would be in up to $200. Maybe not possible but that's how much a new set is worth to me.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 21 2015, 01:45 PM) *

Mine are classically puffy & I'd be interested in 2 pair, @ a reasonable price.
wes
agree.gif
bandjoey
Wasn't her first go round selling at $250ish? They look original and I'd like a set but they're too good looking at $450 until I get the car repainted.
Amphicar770
Maybe its just me but I really get irked when people charge a super-premium price and then still have to throw shipping charges on top of it. The $15 bucks bugs me more than the $450!
Mikey914
Look at the German vinyl, they were $130, I suspect the markup is 100%. I understand a business has to make money to survive, but when its excessive you leave the door open to other competitors to better that price. If you don't make the part its a commodity, and should be treated as such.support you required margins, bur greed is ugly.
mepstein
What's greedy to some is reasonable to others. The convienence of being able to click a couple buttons and have a rare part appear at your doorstep a couple days later is really great. But the market will always determine what's reasonable and what's too much. $450 is too much for me today. In a couple years, I might call it a bargain. im always glad when there are options available that let me continue enjoying my hobby.
914bub
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 21 2015, 02:23 PM) *

What's greedy to some is reasonable to others. The convienence of being able to click a couple buttons and have a rare part appear at your doorstep a couple days later is really great. But the market will always determine what's reasonable and what's too much. $450 is too much for me today. In a couple years, I might call it a bargain. im always glad when there are options available that let me continue enjoying my hobby.

It's about supply and demand. Lets face it,..... We all need a pair of those. If I had the money a "few clicks away" would be appealing. I don't though. My option, until I get rich or win the lottery, will be the $9.00 pair of sunglasses at the gas station.
gfg3
My '75 has the mirror. And yes....they're puffy.

George
Johny Blackstain
Sale appears to be over & 5 sets sold... supply & demand. Say what you want about capitalism, @ least it's not communism. biggrin.gif
Big Len
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 21 2015, 05:23 PM) *

agree.gif
bandjoey
This is not to defend the seller but if the last new set sold for $350 eight years ago, and puffy bent ones sell for $200, then this might not be gouging pricing.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Mar 21 2015, 07:14 PM) *

This is not to defend the seller but if the last new set sold for $350 eight years ago, and puffy bent ones sell for $200, then this might not be gouging pricing.

agree.gif

But to me these are not NOS, but newly made ones, yes?

Here is text from the auction

Porsche 914 Sun Visor Set with all Clips + Mirror New 1970-1976 German Made

"New NLA Porsche 914-6 & 914 Sun Visor Set with all the Clips & the Mirror Flap!!! How long as it been since these were available? Yes, this is the early version that was on Porsche 914-6's & 1970-1973 914-4's! The pins are metal just like the early Sun Visor clips. Made in Germany. Like OEM Porsche. Quality construction."

confused24.gif

Again nothing wrong with what they are selling. They look very nice and if I had the extra $$ I would consider a set if more were available.
lonewolfe
Those look nice but pretty pricey! I'm very happy with the ones Mark at 914rubber restored! Not exactly like original but nice and functional.
Big Len
Why do they puff up?

Is there no way to vacuum the air out and shrink the plastic?
Big Len
Looks like there's one more set for $50 off - Still too rich for me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-Sun-Vi...f1c&vxp=mtr
TheCabinetmaker
Yes, that's a&p girl. Also known as Carrie sweet.

I agree it's overpriced. Like everything she sells. I wouldn't drive across town (which is where she lives) to buy any of her outrageously priced items. Spending that kind of money for visors just encourages these greedy sellers. I can take visors to any of several local custom interior upholsterers and have them redone for a fraction of that cost.

BTW, all 914 model years had passengers mirrors
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 21 2015, 01:58 PM) *

Sale appears to be over & 5 sets sold... supply & demand. Say what you want about capitalism, @ least it's not communism. biggrin.gif

If you were referring to my earlier mention of capitalism, I may not have been clear. I don't want to veer into politics, but I think that it is fair to say that capitalism is perhaps one of the greatest inventions of all time and is the only system that fosters innovation and progress. It has revolutionized virtually every aspect of our lives and increased the standard of living of the vast majority of people on Earth.

In this situation, while I am not a huge fan of the seller, she currently corners the market on supply. She found 5 people who were willing to pay her price, which is supply and demand. Good for her, and good for the 5 people who were happy to pay that price (which is what I meant earlier).

If she were to drop her price to say $250, she would find that while her margin is lower, she would sell far more units, and her profits would be greater. This leads me to surmise that her supply is tight, or she lacks the capital to purchase a large number of units that would allow her to sell them at a reasonable price and still make a large profit. As Mark stated earlier, if she does not have exclusive rights to the manufacture of these, she will soon have competition, and she will have left a bad taste in the mouths of at least 5 people, perhaps more.
bandjoey
just googled ebay usa visors. 4 used sets there $200,155,200,275. and the clips are 40-50 each. with car pricing going up every week.....get ready for used parts to go up accordingly. better buy up what we need asap and stash it away. beer time beerchug.gif

ebay germany
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Sonnenblenden-Set-S...=item5d56879094
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Mar 22 2015, 08:41 PM) *

If you were referring to my earlier mention of capitalism, I may not have been clear. I don't want to veer into politics, but I think that it is fair to say that capitalism is perhaps one of the greatest inventions of all time and is the only system that fosters innovation and progress. It has revolutionized virtually every aspect of our lives and increased the standard of living of the vast majority of people on Earth.

In this situation, while I am not a huge fan of the seller, she currently corners the market on supply. She found 5 people who were willing to pay her price, which is supply and demand. Good for her, and good for the 5 people who were happy to pay that price (which is what I meant earlier).

If she were to drop her price to say $250, she would find that while her margin is lower, she would sell far more units, and her profits would be greater. This leads me to surmise that her supply is tight, or she lacks the capital to purchase a large number of units that would allow her to sell them at a reasonable price and still make a large profit. As Mark stated earlier, if she does not have exclusive rights to the manufacture of these, she will soon have competition, and she will have left a bad taste in the mouths of at least 5 people, perhaps more.

I too do not want venture into politics & have no argument against anything you've posted. I was just trying to be a smart aleck little stromberg.gif
biggrin.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Mar 22 2015, 08:54 PM) *

just googled ebay usa visors. 4 used sets there $200,155,200,275. and the clips are 40-50 each. with car pricing going up every week.....get ready for used parts to go up accordingly. better buy up what we need asap and stash it away. beer time beerchug.gif

ebay germany
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Sonnenblenden-Set-S...=item5d56879094

That seems rather high. Did you find any sold prices.
1972 914 2.0
Geez... I sold a mint set for $100 last year

dry.gif blink.gif headbang.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Mar 20 2015, 04:45 PM) *

agree.gif
I think so, cuz she also sells Bultaco stuff, as does this evil-bay seller.

I think she may be getting them from the same German source as I got a set for my 73, who also sells on evil-bay under AMS-_____? AMG also sells the MBZ & 911 & 356 repro visors too.

http://oldtimer-ersatzteile24.de/Sonnenble...r-Porsche-914_1

Take off the 19% VAT for USA price + 50 EUR shipping by DHL (took 10 days for mine), & true they are pricey but correct, but about what the new Porsche made ones would be today if still available, or for a NOS set.

I'd recco his visor sets, & if A&P is selling the same ones, then hers too.

Thiers are excellent repros & I will post comparison pix of them & my OE on the 73, since the vinyl texture is a bit different, but otherwise they seem dead-on & include all 3 clips. They are also heat seamed like the originals, rather than stitched like AA was doing with their repros.

If the ad from the OP is A&P, than I don't know where she's getting that 74-76 had no mirror nor metal clips.
??

AFAIK all years 70-76 had the metal pins with plastic for the swivel end clips & fixed middle clip, but the early 70-71 & may be 72 did not have the mirror/flap at the right.

I do know that all 70-76 had the mirror, which had been hard to find up til these.
TheCabinetmaker
Sellers location is listed as Tulsa, OK. Is there really any doubt about who it is?
dlkawashima
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 24 2015, 12:13 PM) *

I think she may be getting them from the same German source as I got a set for my 73, who also sells on evil-bay under AMS-_____? AMG also sells the MBZ & 911 & 356 repro visors too.

Take off the 19% VAT for USA price + 50 EUR shipping by DHL (took 10 days for mine), & true they are pricey but correct, but about what the new Porsche made ones would be today if still available, or for a NOS set.

Good find Tom. Looks like the total would be about $363 at today's exchange rate to order direct from oldtimer-ersatzteile24.de.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Mar 24 2015, 04:08 PM) *

Good find Tom. Looks like the total would be about $363 at today's exchange rate to order direct from oldtimer-ersatzteile24.de.

Google converter says $381. With the 19% vat would make it $453.

Perhaps she really isn't making much on these.
hmssaab
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Mar 20 2015, 06:54 PM) *

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-Sun-Vi...b0e&vxp=mtr

No connection. If I win a lotto, I'd buy a set.

They accept offers of $395. They actually have another auction for a buy it now of $395 w/o make an offer. I had to buy a set....I can not stand the vinyl encased decomposed foam sprinkling down, with the mirror flap dangling down in the passenger's face.
Chris Pincetich
I love my 914 project car, it's always needing something, but I do all the repairs myself because I can't afford a true Porsche mechanic! rolleyes.gif

Our NARPs can often be purchased for $2000 then fixed and driven relatively inexpensively for a 40 year old German car. The results can be fantastic, even for the CSOB crowd.

When something like this is shared, it is important to have that perspective, as already mentioned, "WHAT WOULD PORSCHE CHARGE FOR THE NEW PART NOW?"

Can any sun visor for any Porsche model be purchased from a dealer for under $400?
confused24.gif

I'm just waiting for Mikey at 914 Rubber to hook us all up with another awesome repro at fair prices! pray.gif smilie_pokal.gif w00t.gif aktion035.gif beerchug.gif
bandjoey
I have Mikey's and recommend them. Differences? they're edge sewn, thick, and a little over sizes (due to stitching). Also We still have an old core and clips. I'd really like an "original" set. I'll bet if Porsche sold them they'd be higher.
dlkawashima
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Mar 24 2015, 05:22 PM) *

QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Mar 24 2015, 04:08 PM) *

Google converter says $381. With the 19% vat would make it $453.

Perhaps she really isn't making much on these.

The price of €349 includes the VAT, which US buyers shouldn't have to pay.
Mikey914
I've located a source in Hungary that makes these. I'm working on getting some in and will let you know what can be done on a GB. May take a little time, but doable.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 25 2015, 07:10 PM) *

I've located a source in Hungary that makes these. I'm working on getting some in and will let you know what can be done on a GB. May take a little time, but doable.

smilie_pokal.gif
raynekat
Just installed the set I purchased on Ebay, and they fit perfectly and look very original to my 1971 914-4. Most of the "new" sets you see sold (Sierra Madre Collection, etc) do not have the passenger side mirror or driver side pocket. Plus the way the edges are molded, doesn't look quite right. This set has all of this and the right look. Plus they actually swivel up and down correctly. Many repro sunvisors won't do this. Sometimes it just costs a bit more money to buy something of quality. You in the 914 World....welcome to my world; I've been paying big bucks for parts on my 73' 911 for years. The 914 product line is just now starting to catch up. wink.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(raynekat @ Mar 25 2015, 07:26 PM) *

Just installed the set I purchased on Ebay, and they fit perfectly and look very original to my 1971 914-4. Most of the "new" sets you see sold (Sierra Madre Collection, etc) do not have the passenger side mirror or driver side pocket. Plus the way the edges are molded, doesn't look quite right. This set has all of this and the right look. Plus they actually swivel up and down correctly. Many repro sunvisors won't do this. Sometimes it just costs a bit more money to buy something of quality. You in the 914 World....welcome to my world; I've been paying big bucks for parts on my 73' 911 for years. The 914 product line is just now starting to catch up. wink.gif

It would be easer to swallow from a different seller.
eric9144
Found these today @ Sierra Madre... they look like they're "correct" and even include the clips... beerchug.gif Have not seen them in person.

http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/Sun-V...-76-p25013.html
bandjoey
Looks like they found the source. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.