Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LE Bee For Sale - another one
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
tumamilhem
Not affiliated, just looking out and wanted to share as these come up pretty rarely and people are always looking for one.

Not completely OG; has non-original radio, no side stripes, engine metals painted (not factory), crack in dash, non-original speedo (silver dot), engine bay insulation looks painted, charcoal canister removed, missing black lug caps, a few other things that could be changed to be OG. Looks to be nice from the outside. I seem to remember seeing this for sale (same pictures) a couple years ago from the same dealer.

1974 LE Can Am 'Bumblebee' for sale
Mike Fitton
Car has been for sale now for several years, what does that tell you?
era vulgaris
This car was for sale by a different seller in Oregon back in Oct.
World listing:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...mp;hl=bumblebee
Ebay listing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-LE-197...=US_Cars_Trucks

Quite a drastic price increase from $16K in Oct to $29K in March. Also, it's a little uncool for this new seller to be using the previous seller's pics.
billh1963
Just another flipper hard at work. Wonder what those guys will do when the bubble pops and they are caught with cars they paid way too much for?
budk
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Mar 25 2015, 02:37 PM) *

Just another flipper hard at work. Wonder what those guys will do when the bubble pops and they are caught with cars they paid way too much for?

Prices will continue to rise or plateau at worst and since we don't know what he paid it really doesn't matter..... But, that is a premium price for a non number matching engined LE.

If you are going to go through the trouble of trying to get a a premium price, I wonder why he didnt add the Porsche stripe to the doors? confused24.gif
Johny Blackstain
I don't think the front spoiler is OEM.
tumamilhem
Here's another one that just popped up. Nice unrestored example. Some non-factory changes that should be put back to OG being an LE. Needs some cosmetic work. Decals need to be re-applied to be correct (should wrap around inside the wheel wells. A couple people here have good reproduction decals). Aftermarket radio (may be able to find a period-correct 74 radio. I believe there were 4 options from just radio, cassette and 8 track. There's a brochure showing the exact models that were available). Speakers in the door panels (get new door panels). Paint seems decent, claims to be OG. Has A/C unit!

VIN: 4742914854 not certified (yet)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161674727448?force...8&viewitem=
mepstein
Looks like the non numbers matching cars are still stuck in the $ teens.
tumamilhem
Buy it now price $25,500
914inCA
"This is not a numbers matching engine but does have a replacement 914 2.0L engine in the vehicle."

OK, I see this has been mentioned before. Tried to delete this but don't see the option to do it. confused24.gif
RFoulds
Looks like it sold.
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(budk @ Mar 25 2015, 03:05 PM) *

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Mar 25 2015, 02:37 PM) *

If you are going to go through the trouble of trying to get a a premium price, I wonder why he didnt add the Porsche stripe to the doors? confused24.gif

He doesn't know its missing!
MoveQik
I'm considering a trade but this thread is making me think that LE's maybe aren't as valuable as I had originally thought...damn. This could be good or bad? Thoughts on it?
RFoulds
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Apr 21 2015, 11:37 PM) *

I'm considering a trade but this thread is making me think that LE's maybe aren't as valuable as I had originally thought...damn. This could be good or bad? Thoughts on it?

An LE only adds a few thousand to the price at most, unless it is a perfect survivor or complete restoration. Most of the ones that come up for sale are bad clean up jobs and hiding all sorts of problems. If you look at Originality and History of any 914, and price it based on that, an LE gets a little bump in price. A clean good survivor 73-74 2.0 is still worth more than a LE in poor condition.
Cairo94507
I agree with that. If you are an LE person, you are an LE person and thus the inherent value.

If I were a flipper, looking to make a quick buck, not sure that would be my car of choice. I think 73-74 2.0 AG cars are the sweet spot. If I had another stall in my garage and the Six was done, the wife would not kill me..... well, let's just say I doubt I will have another 914. I was lucky to swing the Six I have and believe me, I am damn proud to have it. I can't wait to get it done and home. Hopefully by the end of the year.....
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Apr 22 2015, 10:28 AM) *

An LE only adds a few thousand to the price at most, unless it is a perfect survivor or complete restoration. Most of the ones that come up for sale are bad clean up jobs and hiding all sorts of problems. If you look at Originality and History of any 914, and price it based on that, an LE gets a little bump in price. A clean good survivor 73-74 2.0 is still worth more than a LE in poor condition.

I agree with that...its always and only about condition. Its not likely that a 914LE will ever command the value of a comparable condition /6.

I can also say that there are very very few of either that are in top condition. So many have been flogged or modified, in the name of 'improvement'.
tumamilhem
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 22 2015, 03:57 PM) *

I agree with that. If you are an LE person, you are an LE person and thus the inherent value.

If I were a flipper, looking to make a quick buck, not sure that would be my car of choice. I think 73-74 2.0 AG cars are the sweet spot. If I had another stall in my garage and the Six was done, the wife would not kill me..... well, let's just say I doubt I will have another 914. I was lucky to swing the Six I have and believe me, I am damn proud to have it. I can't wait to get it done and home. Hopefully by the end of the year.....

An LE is a 74 2.0 + (aka sweet spot). Fully loaded over a 73 and then some. beerchug.gif
MDG
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Apr 23 2015, 12:36 PM) *

An LE is a 74 2.0 + (aka sweet spot). Fully loaded over a 73 and then some. beerchug.gif

I don't know what that means....

My '73 2.0 has every option available. LE's had no 'extra' options on them aside from cosmetics. The full AG options didn't change at all from 73-74 as far as I can recall.... A 1974 LE has nothing that my 73 has as far as factory option.

Mine does, however, have the advantage of appealing to a much broader audience. As the 'LE' name suggests, there has always been a 'limited' interest group in these. That was true when they were new. It's true now. beerchug.gif
JeffBowlsby
It just means that a 914 LE is not a fully loaded 1973-74 2.0, its different. It has some things the 73-74 does not have:

Optional equipment M-778.
Optional paint code.

And there are only ~240 surviving examples - how many loaded 2.0L are there? Thousands. If its a 914 its one of the greatest cars of all time in my book, regardless of its details. Its no big deal really, this is not a 'my big brothers better than your big brother' thing. They are just different, cool and respectable in their own way. To each his own. Peace.
MDG
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Apr 23 2015, 05:04 PM) *

It just means that a 914 LE is not a fully loaded 1973-74 2.0, its different. It has some things the 73-74 does not have:

Optional paint code.

And there are only ~240 surviving examples - how many loaded 2.0L are there? Thousands. If its a 914 its one of the greatest cars of all time in my book, regardless of its details. Its no big deal really, this is not a 'my big brothers better than your big brother' thing. They are just different, and all are cool. To each his own. Peace.

I agree completely Jeff. And I have made similar comments to yours above in other posts. They are great cars. The non 2.0 cars as well. There is no doubt given the small number of authentic LE's produced... and the dwindled number circa 2015... they are rare birds.

But because they are no different than any other equally equipped 73-74 2.0 all I am saying is you've gotta really dig those colour schemes to want one. My opinion as stated in my post is I'd bet there is a much wider market for the standard paint codes (sans stripes) than there are for the LE's.

I think the majority of the members on this site never really gave them much thought beyond their unique spot in the roster. Until recently......
MDG
I had to look up Optional equipment M-778; the spoiler certainly was originally released on the LE but you could order one from your dealers parts counter for your non-LE too. AND they kept using the same part on the big bumper cars beginning the next year.
MoveQik
The more I read about these little LE's, the more intrigued I get. Tommy, I will post some detailed pics of my car as soon as I can.
tumamilhem
LEs are the Bumblebees knees. wink.gif
brant
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Apr 23 2015, 04:09 PM) *

The more I read about these little LE's, the more intrigued I get. Tommy, I will post some detailed pics of my car as soon as I can.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
MDG
agree.gif

Michael's car is definitely one of the sweet ones! Didn't Joe do the work on that?
MoveQik
QUOTE(MDG @ Apr 24 2015, 07:05 AM) *

agree.gif

Michael's car is definitely one of the sweet ones! Didn't Joe do the work on that?

Thanks! Joe did the initial conversion. He also rebuilt the top end when it needed it. The car has been to bare metal, painted and fenders pulled since then, interior redone etc. I always say he made it go, I made it show. :-)
eric9144
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Apr 23 2015, 02:04 PM) *

And there are only ~240 surviving examples - how many loaded 2.0L are there? Thousands.

Not to totally derail the thread but I seem to remember another thread a few years back (not finding in search) on the 'real' numbers of '74 "loaded 2.0s" and the numbers were actually pretty low, in fact surprisingly low. Referring specifically to 1974 2.0 cars, with appearance group, Chrome bumpers, Fuch's, Fogs etc...
tumamilhem
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Apr 23 2015, 05:04 PM) *

Optional paint code.

And there are only ~240 surviving examples - how many loaded 2.0L are there? Thousands. If its a 914 its one of the greatest cars of all time in my book, regardless of its details. Its no big deal really, this is not a 'my big brothers better than your big brother' thing. They are just different, cool and respectable in their own way. To each his own. Peace.

Not to mention that of those 240 "surviving" cars, a lot of them are shells, taken apart, rusted, destroyed, etc. as can be seen in pictures of them in the registry. The numbers for actual complete drivers are a lot less.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.