Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is it ok to sandblast a trasaxle?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
quadracerx
Ive heard differing opinions on whether to sandblast a transaxle...

Some say it dangerous because of the magnesium case?

Some say it will leave a very rough surface?

I called the guys who do most of my sandblasting and they say the can bake most of the grease off then blast it with lower pressure... So it should be ok?

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Steve
McMark
Media blasting grit is magical. It will, no matter what you do, get into every passage, nook and cranny. You take a risk by using media on it. You can clean it well enough, but you must be completely thorough. Or use soda, which is water soluble.

Also note, the bare magnesium will corrode/oxidize. It should be coated with something to protect it.
SirAndy
QUOTE(quadracerx @ Mar 27 2015, 09:41 PM) *
Is it ok to sandblast a trasaxle?

No
VaccaRabite
I'd only blast it if the trans were completely taken apart and the plan was to clean it 100% inside and out afterwards.

You are better off with degreaser and a scraper and stiff brush.

Zach
rgalla9146
NO!
a few loose screws
Just out of curiosity,can you use walnut, plastic or soda to blast the case? I know you don't want anything to embed in the case and start a reaction. Is it more about not removing the outer material, i.e. coating, or treatments from the factory?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.