Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiring Harness Snorkel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Series9
As most of these are in bad condition, how are you concours guys handling this?

JmuRiz
Not sure how the 914rubber ones compare to stock/concours ones, but I know he makes them.
JeffBowlsby
914rubber and lots of KY or Glycerin.
Series9
I didn't realize Mike made those. That's what we'll do.
falcor75
I bought one from Mike but the upper flange that goes thru the engine shelf seems to be too small? or is the hole in my shelf too large? It doesnt seem to be tampered with in any way?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Mar 31 2015, 08:21 PM) *

I bought one from Mike but the upper flange that goes thru the engine shelf seems to be too small? or is the hole in my shelf too large? It doesnt seem to be tampered with in any way?

You're in Sweden Mats... poke.gif the hole probably shrunk from the cold last winter??? blink.gif lol-2.gif
euro911
1. It's Mark ('Mikey914' is Mark's son's member name and he never posts anything).

2. I've read a few posts where some folks have had to cut the new snorkel (to shorten it) overlap and glue back together after pulling the harness through. I haven't got that far into he restoration to know if I'll need to do that or not confused24.gif
falcor75
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 1 2015, 07:32 AM) *

You're in Sweden Mats... poke.gif the hole probably shrunk from the cold last winter??? blink.gif lol-2.gif

Yes my snorkel always shrinks in the cold... piratenanner.gif blink.gif WTF.gif

biggrin.gif
McMark
Another one of the minor differences between early and late cars. I can't remember exactly which is which now or when the changeover is, but there is a difference.
euro911
WTF.gif … how'd this happen? (duplicate of post # 7) confused24.gif
Mikey914
I made the snorkel from the 75 car my son had, and I don't own any early ones. Never dreamed the hole and harness would change, why would it be necessary, more tooling and expense?

I did make them slightly longer to accommodate 6 conversions, but the 1" can be easily taken up but making the ornamentation35 deg off and bowing it out. Yes they can be cut and overlapped if you want too.
falcor75
IPB Image

I think I'll just make a piece of aluminium with the correct sized hole and glue it to the underside of the shelf....
ConeDodger
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Apr 1 2015, 01:33 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 1 2015, 07:32 AM) *

Yes my snorkel always shrinks in the cold... piratenanner.gif blink.gif WTF.gif

biggrin.gif

av-943.gif lol-2.gif
Mikey914
I wonder if a washer might be a good solution. Much easier.
euro911
A snorkel washer? cheer.gif

poke.gif
falcor75
I just tried and one can use one of 914Rubber's engine shelf grommets (the ones for the water funnel tubes) It's not a 100% snug fit in the hole but it will probably work just fine.
Series9
QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 2 2015, 01:24 PM) *

A snorkel washer? cheer.gif

poke.gif

is that a euphemism for a cock ring? laugh.gif
G e o r g e
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 1 2015, 05:42 PM) *

I made the snorkel from the 75 car my son had, and I don't own any early ones.

Weird , just compared mine to the 73 and it's the same size, but my 75 tub looks like Falcor's pic, it is to small.
mtndawg
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Apr 1 2015, 09:30 PM) *

IPB Image

I think I'll just make a piece of aluminium with the correct sized hole and glue it to the underside of the shelf....

Bumping this because I have a new snorkel tube for my ‘75 and the hole is large while the tube going through the shelf is small just like this photo. Does some have a photo to share showing how you solved this...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.