Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-4 vs 914-6 wiring harness experts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
raynekat
What's the main differences between the wiring harnesses on a 914-4 and 914-6?

Off the top of my head, I'd think the ignition switch, fuel pump, engine compartment (relay board), gauges (multigauge).
Anything else come to mind?
Most things like the lights, horns, switches, should be the same I'd think.

I'm assuming both are the same year....like a 1971 914-4 vs 914-6.

My reason for asking?
I'll be putting a six cylinder engine in my 71 914-4, my wiring harness is pretty suspect, so am thinking about just getting a new 914-6 harness for the car, making a couple mods if needed for the ignition switch, etc.

Give my your thoughts or ideas.
Thanks in advance.
mepstein
Kroon now makes a 6 harness. Price is around $2-2.5k. Looks great.
JeffBowlsby
The /4 and /6 chassis harnesses are completely different and not in any way compatible. It would take major surgery to convert one to the other if its even possible, and its not realistic.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Apr 2 2015, 04:23 PM) *
The /4 and /6 chassis harnesses are completely different and not in any way compatible. It would take major surgery to convert one to the other if its even possible, and its not realistic.

agree.gif

Get a donor harness from a car that matches your year, then worry about the /6 conversion.
Patrick Motorsports makes a short adapter harness that eliminates the relay board and connects your /6 engine to the /4 chassis harness.
smile.gif
Tom
It is not that hard to make your own if you know how or have an electrical friend to help. I just modified one for a member and his 6 conversion ended up needing 9 wires from the 14 pin connector to the engine harness to get his 6 everything necessary. Depending on the 6 your are using that number can change. I have some pics of the changes for different 6's and a pic of what I did for him if you are interested. PM me and we can get the info I have to you if it helps.
Tom
JmuRiz
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 2 2015, 03:47 PM) *

Patrick Motorsports makes a short adapter harness that eliminates the relay board and connects your /6 engine to the /4 chassis harness.
smile.gif

Isn't that only for the big 6 (3.6) conversions?

I'd like to get rid of the relay board in my 2.7 conversion...I'll have to dig up that how-to thread.
mepstein
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Apr 3 2015, 09:20 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 2 2015, 03:47 PM) *

smile.gif

Isn't that only for the big 6 (3.6) conversions?

I'd like to get rid of the relay board in my 2.7 conversion...I'll have to dig up that how-to thread.

Patrick does 3.2 and 3.6. Perry K builds custom harnesses for the other ones.
raynekat
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 2 2015, 01:11 PM) *

Kroon now makes a 6 harness. Price is around $2-2.5k. Looks great.

This is the direction I'm apt to head.
The thought of a brand new harness with fresh wires and connectors is really appealing.
After all, most of our harnesses are quite old by now....mines 44+ years and looking it.

The Kroon wiring harness would address the engine compartment, the 911 multi-gauge (oil pressure and temperature), etc.
The big question and it's a big one.
What about the ignition switch.
I actually like the ignition switch up on the column for a number of reasons.
A bit more security (locking the column) and frees up space where all the switches are located....as I'm adding another switch for a rear fog light.

To me all the rest of the wiring on the chassis should be straight forward with a 914-6 wiring harness from Kroon.
The lighting, horns, fresh air blower, switches, etc.
mepstein
I sent kroon a wire harness from a '71-4. He should have it duplicated soon. I would talk to him and tell you what you want and maybe he can make something custom to fit your needs.
SirAndy
QUOTE(raynekat @ Apr 3 2015, 11:10 AM) *
I actually like the ignition switch up on the column for a number of reasons.
A bit more security (locking the column) and frees up space where all the switches are located....as I'm adding another switch for a rear fog light.

confused24.gif

My 911 dash mounted ignition switch has a column lock and it uses the stock mounting location, meaning, it doesn't take away any spot for any other switch.
shades.gif
Perry Kiehl Clone
If you want an engine harness PM me. I make a 6 engine harness that looks very stock.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=24228
JmuRiz
Excellent, I'll touch base when my engine is sorted!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.