Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuilt engine 2.0 year 76
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DavidSweden
I have finally completed my engine rebuild which has not been without problems and took much longer than planned. It was also expensive, I thought that a VW motor would be a cheap option but I guess I was just kidding myself. You will see that I have installed the 74 heat exchangers and removed the smog stuff

Anyway the engine is sitting on a pallet and will be installed tomorrow. I have some newbie questions which I hope someone can help me with.

1. In the engine bay near the hell hole there is a green/black wire coming from the wiring harness, is this for the temp sensor mounted on the underside of the engine?
2. I will do the static timing should this be for TDC or a few degrees before?
3. Is there anything I need to be aware of before installing or is it just a case of bolting the motor in position?
4 Once the engine is fired up should I run at 2000 rpm and set the timing to X degrees BTD or what is the best procedure?
5) I think I need 5 quarts (3,5l) of oil is this correct?
6) How do I get the throttle cable up to the overside of the engine?

Thanks

IPB Image
ConeDodger
4 quarts of oil.

Might be cylinder head temp wire but I'm not near any reference right now.

Might help if you told us what motor was native and what you built. Ie: 2.0, 1.8, 1.7....
TheCabinetmaker
Title of thread says 75 2.0.
TheCabinetmaker
That does sound like the oil temp sender wire. The throttle cable goes thru a small hole in the engine tin close to where the passenger j tube enters. Your cam come with any specific instructions?
DavidSweden
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Apr 3 2015, 12:14 PM) *

That does sound like the oil temp sender wire. The throttle cable goes thru a small hole in the engine tin close to where the passenger j tube enters. Your cam come with any specific instructions?

Stock cam NOS
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Apr 3 2015, 12:44 PM) *

1. In the engine bay near the hell hole there is a green/black wire coming from the wiring harness, is this for the temp sensor mounted on the underside of the engine?

Yes.

2. I will do the static timing should this be for TDC or a few degrees before?

TDC will work for starting the motor.

4 Once the engine is fired up should I run at 2000 rpm and set the timing to X degrees BTD or what is the best procedure?

20 minutes at 2000 RPM to break in the cam. Timing is set to 27 degrees BTDC at 3500 RPM after that.

5) I think I need 5 quarts (3,5l) of oil is this correct?

I don't think you have that conversion right. Anyway, 4 quarts is good.

6) How do I get the throttle cable up to the overside of the engine?

It goes through a hole in the engine tin over on the right side.

--DD
DavidSweden

Thanks Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.