Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 01e vs boxster s
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
got914?
Ive been searching and cant seem to find the answer.
I know someone on here has the answer.

Are the Audi 01E and boxster s the same bellhousing bolt pattern ?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(got914? @ Apr 5 2015, 06:10 PM) *

Ive been searching and cant seem to find the answer.
I know someone on here has the answer.

Are the Audi 01E and boxster s the same bellhousing bolt pattern ?

Yes and no.

Not all Boxster S transmissions are the same. The 2001-2008 Boxster S is the same bellhousing as the 01E and most other Audi trannies. Including the Passat, 5000, Fox and 944.
got914?
Ok sounds good.
Something else i read on another forum ( not sure if i bookmarked it or not)
Is there any truth to the following ?

Spline for clutch input shaft has different spline count and 1 mm differnet size ) easy enough to solve)

And that the input shaft is 25 MM shorter ?, would this still engage with a KEP setup does anyone know ?
Mueller
QUOTE(got914? @ Apr 6 2015, 11:23 AM) *

Ok sounds good.
Something else i read on another forum ( not sure if i bookmarked it or not)
Is there any truth to the following ?

Spline for clutch input shaft has different spline count and 1 mm differnet size ) easy enough to solve)

And that the input shaft is 25 MM shorter ?, would this still engage with a KEP setup does anyone know ?

KEP would know all of that if they make and adapter and flywheel.

If different and if they make the adapters/flywheels for each version you'd get what you need.

Perhaps call them, they should be open right now...
Mike Bellis
I never measured an 01E but the Boxster 5 & 6 speed is the same 36 spline shaft length as the Audi/VW 012 transmission. I have swapped my Passat 5 speed with my Boxster S 6 speed a couple times. I use the VW 225mm clutch & flywheel.

Audi shares a lot of parts with VW & Porsche. I would guess the 01E main shaft is the same. Andys has a 01E on his LS conversion. He could speak to that.

If you want a good, cheap tranny, go to Ebay UK and find a Passat TDI 5 speed tranny code DUK. This has better ratios for a V8 and they run about $400 (or less). I bought my Cayman S 6 speed from England for $700 and spent another $245 air shipping it with TNT. It arrived in 3 days.

Cayman S & Boxster S 6 speeds are almost the same. There is a part number difference and a 0.003 final drive ratio difference.

The Boxster 5 speed and VW 012 trannies are almost the same. Only the bolt on linkage is different and some of the 012's are not drilled & tapped for the Boxster linkage mounting bolts.
andys
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Apr 6 2015, 05:33 PM) *

I never measured an 01E but the Boxster 5 & 6 speed is the same 36 spline shaft length as the Audi/VW 012 transmission. I have swapped my Passat 5 speed with my Boxster S 6 speed a couple times. I use the VW 225mm clutch & flywheel.

Audi shares a lot of parts with VW & Porsche. I would guess the 01E main shaft is the same. Andys has a 01E on his LS conversion. He could speak to that.

The 01E input shaft is 24mm (15/16") Dia. x 23 spline.

Andys
got914?
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Apr 6 2015, 08:33 PM) *

This makes me feel good

The 01E input shaft is 24mm (15/16") Dia. x 23 spline.

Andys

Yes i found the porsche is 1 inch by 23 spline, so just for argument sakes run a porsche pressure plate and an audi disc. Or deal with the 1/16 inch diff which is only 1/32 side to side play.
got914?
THen I find this on pelican.

Kinda confusing that it shows both sizes of 23.8 (15/16) & 25.4 (1) for the same year boxster s ?
andys
Seems odd to me that the majority of foreign and domestic splines are US fractional sizes. My 01E disc was specified as 15/16". At one time, I had a link to a chart of clutch disc splines, and as I recall, all were fractional (inch) sized.

Andys
Chris914n6
I've seen quite a bit of measurement mixing during my projects. The Japanese do it too. I'm talking more than just splines. You can't assume metric is always used based on origin.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.