Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what next 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joshporsche
I finally got a 914, it hasn't run for about 2 years. the gas tank was empty, oil empty.
I put new oil and gas, new fuel pump-it was shot and new points. I have it running but it only gets to about 2500 rpm. What would you do next to get it back to normal use driving?
thanks
bondo
Timing!!!
mharrison
Carbs or Fuel Injection?
914helo
It also will probably need a valve adjustment. Make sure to get new gaskets for the valve covers, you don't need any sealer. I've read other posts here about preferred methods. The first time will be slow, but then you get quicker (and swear more). The pelican board has a tech write-up I believe if you need one. Congrats on getting a 914 smilie_pokal.gif
ArtechnikA
yes, timing, valve adjustment, probably a can of Berryman B-12 (or gas-station Techron, or Jectron/Ventil Sauber) to get the gunk out of the injectors.

presuming it still has FI - we need details...

check the auxiliary air valve, check all the vacuum hoses, especially the hose to the manifold pressure sensor. presuming it is a D-Jet car -- we need full details...
JmuRiz
I'd have checked the tank for rust, if it was sitting empty for 2 years, chances are there is rust in the tank. Also look into the things the others mentioned
Joshporsche
wow, thanks for the instant input.
it's a 73 1.7 fuel injected 914.
Good condition without rust except the battery area.
I did the timing and all the hoses are hooked up.
When i bought it-the valve covers were off and i put them back on with new gaskets. but i didn't adjust them. thanks again.
mharrison
Fuel filter maybe??? Also, I would think maybe the valve covers were off for a reason. You may have 1/2 of a valve job!!! heh..heh..
Joshporsche
I replaced the fuel filter but i used one thats just common from auto zone. would that affect the performance? How much does a valve tune up usually cost on a 914.. I'm not that talented like the rest of you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.