Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FYI: 914-6 Blank Headlight VIN tags available
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
Need a blank headlight tag for a -6. Stoddard has them for $59.50. Found them on the website.
larryM
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 8 2015, 04:46 PM) *

Need a blank headlight tag for a -6. Stoddard has them for $59.50.

- given that anyone can now buy virtually every /6 and -GT component as cheap aftermarket components

and that 914/6 serial numbers were apparently non-sequential,

and, that apparently Porsche kept no accessible records of all the serial numbers

and, that a recent thread on DOT windshield tags clearly shows a variety of numbering schemes & styles

ANYONE can now build/convert any 914 body into a /6 and sell it on eBay etc as a genuine/restored six

-caveat emptor -

( those of us with genuine sixes may now see our validates routinely challenged on this site, and in the marketplace, especially on the social media circuses like BaT)

YIKES wacko.gif

Cairo94507
For those who take the time to learn about these cars I believe you will always be able to identify the real from the tribute cars.

The people most susceptible to be ripped off are those impulsive buyers who believe they found an original Six with 30K miles that somehow ended up in the hands of someone who is completely ignorant about the car, has no posting history and just needs to sell it for a friend.

914Sixer
This was not intended for any other purpose than to replace real -6 owners with the missing tags that have disappeared over the years due to accidents. The last -6 I had was missing this plate but all the other tags were there.
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 12 2015, 03:50 PM) *

For those who take the time to learn about these cars I believe you will always be able to identify the real from the tribute cars.

The people most susceptible to be ripped off are those impulsive buyers who believe they found an original Six with 30K miles that somehow ended up in the hands of someone who is completely ignorant about the car, has no posting history and just needs to sell it for a friend.

agree.gif there are so many small details on a real 6 that to duplicate successfully it would cost the same as a real one. But a vin switch with a wrecked 6 and an early 4 is pretty easy. At least one south east vendor used to supply that service.
Gustl
the picture of this tag is by far too small to judge the quality of reproduction
I've seen other repros of this tag, and they've beed different to the originals in detail

at least I can see, that you shouldn't use it on MY'70 cars as well as on early MY'71s ... if you want the original look

SirAndy
QUOTE(Gustl @ Apr 12 2015, 02:05 PM) *
the picture of this tag is by far too small to judge the quality of reproduction

smile.gif
IPB Image

http://www.stoddard.com/914-1/decals-emble...701-101-18.html
popcorn[1].gif
Gustl
thanks Andy, didn't realize it's this easy wacko.gif

as I said before, this one is just correct for mid-MY'71 and later ...
ConeDodger
Regarding the concern about faked 914-6 cars, unless someone has gone to the trouble of welding a real six passenger wheel arch number in place of the four number, you can rub off the undercoating and see the real VIN from underneath.
scotty b
The machinists stamps you can buy are nowhere near the correct size and look of the factory numbers. The only way you could accurately reproduce the number is to have a set of stamps custom made $$$$$
Mikey914
Actually wouldn't be that expensive. As the prices go up, you know some will do it.
Mike Bellis
I bet George has some real -6 VIN plates laying around...

hide.gif
stevegm
Don't mean to introduce a different question - but, why does it seem that the 6 windshield post VIN plate is different than the 4s?
emoze
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 13 2015, 12:11 PM) *

Actually wouldn't be that expensive. As the prices go up, you know some will do it.

- if Stoddard is making & selling these, they must know or have a strong suspicion that someone can duplicate the oem stamps, eh??

there has been a vigorous market for many yrs in blank British ID tags - just check any major Brit parts vendor's catalog

emoze
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 13 2015, 09:12 AM) *

Regarding the concern about faked 914-6 cars, unless someone has gone to the trouble of welding a real six passenger wheel arch number in place of the four number, you can rub off the undercoating and see the real VIN from underneath.

good idea, but hard to do when bidding on eBay or BaT
SirAndy
QUOTE(stevegm @ Apr 13 2015, 06:29 PM) *
why does it seem that the 6 windshield post VIN plate is different than the 4s?

One was made by Karmann, one was made by Porsche.
And only US imported cars had the windshield tag.
smile.gif
porbmw
QUOTE(Gustl @ Apr 12 2015, 09:04 PM) *

thanks Andy, didn't realize it's this easy wacko.gif

as I said before, this one is just correct for mid-MY'71 and later ...

Can you educate me on why this one is only good for MY'71 and later...what is different about the earlier ones?

Thanks
sixnotfour
the bottom last line of info was added... making it taller than earlier..
Gustl
QUOTE(porbmw @ Apr 14 2015, 07:37 PM) *

Can you educate me on why this one is only good for MY'71 and later...what is different about the earlier ones?

Thanks

compare these two ... there are 3 differences

I don't know the exact VIN, when they changed, but it was somewhere around 914.1.43.0100 (+/-)

so, the one from Stoddard is not correct for about the first 2,760 cars (from about 3,330 built) ...

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Fortunately I have a late 71 build biggrin.gif
porbmw
QUOTE(Gustl @ Apr 14 2015, 09:13 PM) *

QUOTE(porbmw @ Apr 14 2015, 07:37 PM) *

Thanks

compare these two ... there are 3 differences

I don't know the exact VIN, when they changed, but it was somewhere around 914.1.43.0100 (+/-)

so, the one from Stoddard is not correct for about the first 2,760 cars (from about 3,330 built) ...

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Danke schoen beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.