Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can't separate Speedo Drive from Right Angle Drive
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RazorbackFan78
So....Separating the Speedo Drive from the Right Angle Drive. Is there a trick to this? I can see some red selant or something from the PO when I pulled the speedo drive out of the trans. I'm worried they're somehow fused together with loctite or something. There's not much room for leverage under the car. I've thrown the vice grips on the speedo side and tried wrenching the right angle off. No luck yet. Just wanted to check in with the group before I get mid-evil on it and accidentaly break the right angle drive.

Thx in advance

Click to view attachment
RazorbackFan78
bump
oldie914
Heat the housing with a propane torch. Aluminum expands more than steel so that should looosen it.
Dr Evil
Pretty much not feasible with it removed from the tail cone unless you have a special spanner wrench. Heating it might work, but how are you going to grab the base? Also, you will need to replace the seal inside after.
euro911
agree.gif I've always unscrewed the angle drive first (while the speedo drive unit was still in the nose cone).
Larmo63
Not to hijack, but I removed my angle drive, cleaned it, it appears to be working perfectly. New speedo cable, tested with a drill motor from the rear, (works) yet no working speedometer. I tried to get the aluminum part out of the trans, marred it up fairly good, and, yes, I took the retaining bolt out. I gave up, still nothing. Why the big mystery here?

Can someone just explain the basics?
76-914
Screw that nut back in then use the piece as an extension so you can get it to "wobble" as you pull it out. Tap it very lightly w/ a hammer if you need to. I've got a couple of rebuilt ones laying around if you need one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.