Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: High Amp Alternator
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
I needed a new alternator for the Turbo 1.7 car and with all of the upgrades I've done I thought I'd look around for a higher amperage unit to install. I know this has been done before, but I wanted something that was a more natural fit. And while I was looking, something with 'modern' technology would be nice.

I found a unit that looked promising and took the leap. It's a built to order, made in the USA unit. It features a built in regulator for a single wire installation, and it's 150 amps (also available in 240 amp! ohmy.gif ).

It finally arrived last week and holding it roughly in place nothing jumped out as a major problem, but there were a few tweaks to the housing. So a little trimming of the two mounting points, a bushing to reduce the pivot shaft diameter to 8mm, and drilling the top mount to 8mm it fits perfectly. Works just like an original unit, has MORE clearance than a stock unit although it weighs quite a bit more. wink.gif

I want to get this installed in my car before I make any promises, but this is looking like a REALLY easy upgrade. NO MORE VOLTAGE REGULATOR!!! aktion035.gif
Elliot Cannon
So, what happens when the voltage regulator fails? How much heavier and what might be the cost?
Krieger
Good work!
Geezer914
Pulley fan or rear cooling duck???
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Apr 13 2015, 04:47 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif
McMark

The alternator is sold just as it's shown. I am probably going to merge a 914 alternator rear housing and the one that came on this unit. Should be able to make that work pretty easily.

So, what happens when the voltage regulator fails? How much heavier and what might be the cost?

The VR may be replaceable, but I expect this new stuff to be much more robust. Which means, I expect to never have to touch this alternator/VR again ever. I didn't weigh it, but I would guess around double the weight. Cost TBD, but a rebuilt unit is under $100, and this will be at least triple that, plus... ph34r.gif
McMark
Looked and theres a fan inside. thumb3d.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Apr 13 2015, 04:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Apr 13 2015, 04:47 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

euro911
Looks good, Mark. Will the OEM alternator tin fit (or will it need to be modified a bit)?
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 14 2015, 12:51 AM) *

Looked and theres a fan inside. thumb3d.gif

Looks like you are on a good find.
Was this alternator designed for a specific rotation? I believe the air should exit to the front. If it has an internal fan, will it be able to do this? No all fans can be reversed
McMark
Was this alternator designed for a specific rotation?

Just heard back that the alternator is the correct rotation for the Type 4.
worn
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 13 2015, 11:12 PM) *

Noticed that one too. Very common though. So much so that they named tape that way.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(worn @ Apr 22 2015, 10:03 AM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 13 2015, 11:12 PM) *

Noticed that one too. Very common though. So much so that they named tape that way.

I think even the HVAC people spell it that way now. laugh.gif It's about time. av-943.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 22 2015, 11:19 AM) *

I think even the HVAC people spell it that way now. laugh.gif It's about time. av-943.gif

Click to view attachment
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 22 2015, 11:53 AM) *

Was this alternator designed for a specific rotation?

Just heard back that the alternator is the correct rotation for the Type 4.

That is good news. Where does the air exit?
euro911
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Apr 22 2015, 12:32 PM) *
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 22 2015, 11:19 AM) *
Click to view attachment

One of my hobbies involves tropospheric ducting shades.gif

Click to view attachment
worn
There is warm air at the North Pole?

Also i can hardly wait Mark. Being decrepit and holding the alternator up there. Well, will the weight be an issue?
McMark
I'll weigh it tomorrow... thumb3d.gif
falcor75
Since I'm going the efi route I think I'm going to need one of these.... blink.gif
McMark
Efi doesn't need high amps. It's more hot big headlights, seat heaters, stereo, etc.
euro911
Any updates, Mark?
worn
QUOTE(McMark @ May 15 2015, 06:56 PM) *

Efi doesn't need high amps. It's more hot big headlights, seat heaters, stereo, etc.

What the heck is a seat heater?
boxsterfan
Awesome on this high output alternator!! Perhaps electric heat is a possibility (giggle)!!
McMark
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ May 15 2015, 07:12 PM) *

Awesome on this high output alternator!! Perhaps electric heat is a possibility (giggle)!!

Actually, I've already picked out a heater unit to try. It's 50amps, but with this alternator, that still leaves me 100 amps to spare! ohmy.gif
euro911
Yep, an electric heater's been on my list for a long time aktion035.gif
boxsterfan
QUOTE(McMark @ May 15 2015, 08:52 PM) *

QUOTE(boxsterfan @ May 15 2015, 07:12 PM) *

Actually, I've already picked out a heater unit to try. It's 50amps, but with this alternator, that still leaves me 100 amps to spare! ohmy.gif

What's the estimate for how much HP that alternator is going to steal away?
Dtjaden
Hi Mark,

Electric heaters have been discussed before and usually the conclusion has been that they will not provide enough heat, but --- I decided to revisit the formulas for heat generation and temperature rise in a confined space.

600 watts = 2047 btu
I estimated the 914 cabin space as 75 cubic feet. I also assumed it was poorly insulated.
2047 btu's will raise the temperature of that space between 25 and 30 degrees.
This assumes that the cabin air is recirculated, not outside air being heated and directed into the cabin.

So...I think this may have a chance of working out. If so, I may have to drive up to see you since my car has no heat (headers)!

Darryl
sixnotfour
I have used this one for two years ..works great...
has low / high switch

http://dcthermal.com/catalog/sa12-5000-bru...ss-cabin-heater
boxsterfan
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 16 2015, 12:08 PM) *

I have used this one for two years ..works great...
has low / high switch

http://dcthermal.com/catalog/sa12-5000-bru...ss-cabin-heater

Got some pics of your setup?
Dtjaden
Just a caution on the heat output claims many of the Internet resellers make. Watts and BTUs are directly convertible units. One watt = 3.41 BTUs. A heater that draws 50 amps at 12 volts CANNOT produce than 2047 BTUs - not the 10,000 BTUs claimed by DCThermal.

That being said, as I stated in my post earlier, 2047 BTUs of heat generation will probably siffice for those of us that live in moderate climates. It would do little to warm a 914 in Minnesota but neither did the standard heat exchangers.

Darryl
boxsterfan
QUOTE(Dtjaden @ May 16 2015, 06:40 PM) *

Just a caution on the heat output claims many of the Internet resellers make. Watts and BTUs are directly convertible units. One watt = 3.41 BTUs. A heater that draws 50 amps at 12 volts CANNOT produce than 2047 BTUs - not the 10,000 BTUs claimed by DCThermal.

That being said, as I stated in my post earlier, 2047 BTUs of heat generation will probably siffice for those of us that live in moderate climates. It would do little to warm a 914 in Minnesota but neither did the standard heat exchangers.

Darryl

Yeah, I'm in the Bay Area. Put in some seat heaters and minimal heat could work. I guess the big deal is can you get enough heat to defrost the windshield of needed.
McMark
Installed this today. Went just as smooth as expected, although I did need a smaller belt because this has a smaller pulley. Went with a 940mm unit. Made my own power cable with the new big-ass crimper I got. Didn't notice a damn bit of difference on my drive home, which is a good thing. That means everything is working like it should. Now time for electronic goodies like seat heaters.
boxsterfan
beer3.gif
boxsterfan
Did you ever try your electric heat unit? Seat heaters are going to work for sure. And for mild climates, an electric heater that pushes even some meoderately warm air (mostly for a defrost of the window situation) is all that is needed.
MSHax
That's pretty cool! Back in the day I modified a 1 wire 150 amp GM alternator to fit in my 74 914. Worked great, but I decided to do a restore so that meant no GM parts. I'm a HUGE fan of the toys; seat heaters, power windows, remote start, etc. All that stuff adds up quickly. I have no intention of putting anything other than power locks, and keyless entry, in my 914, but I still want a higher output alternator. I'll wait until mine dies first tongue.gif

McMark
Not yet. After the move and I get settled in the new shop there should be way more time for these fun R&D side projects. It's one of the reasons I'm moving.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.