Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BUILD OF THE BLUE CLOWN CAR
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
era vulgaris
That's interesting. I didn't realize the seat bottoms were different between the driver and passenger side. Good to know!
GeorgeRud
We are getting down to French Lick on Sunday night as we have a wedding to attend up in Wisconsin on the Saturday preceding the Parade. I'm wondering whether to bring my conversion car or 911 Targa down to Parade as I won't have any time to prepare for the Concours beforehand. I understand that all the rooms at the host hotels (actually at all the hotels) in French Lick are filled with Parade attendees!
earossi
The ride to French Licht from Naperville is about 5-6 hours, so you might want to think about bringing your Targa down. It's got to be a more comfortable car for long travel. I'm hoping to bring both my cars down since both my son and I will be traveling together. That way, we can switch cars at least once on the drive! My 993 is an entirely different animal than either the 914 or your Targa. We had thought about entering our 914 in the Concurs, just for grins and the opportunity to hang out with a bunch of nice cars. I don't consider the car to be Concurs quality except that everything on the car is "new" or newly polished or painted. No rust! But, unfortunately, the Concurs is on Monday which is the day we will be traveling down to Parade.

I attempted to register for all the events and make hotel arrangements 2 hours after Parade registration opened. By that time, every room at the French Licht resort had been booked. We were directed to a Comfort Inn that I am told is about 3 miles from the resort! One has to believe that there is a "system" and pecking order on who gets to stay at the main resort. One of the negatives of a club getting so popular that it begins to outgrow all the venues available for staging such an event.

One of the things we need to discuss while down there is the gas heater you have stored up in Wisconsin since I am still interested in such an installation for my car.

At any rate, we should all have a good time and a lot of fun. Do you know of any other 914 guys going to the Parade?
GeorgeRud
There should be some. Jim Kutill is coming down from Oak Park with his yellow 914 and is entered in the concours. I entered the Concours with my 914-6 conversion, but I don't think that will work with my revised schedule. When I talked to Eric Shea @ Amelia Island, it sounded like he wanted to be there with his beautiful conversion -6. It'll be great to see your car and I'm sure others will also make the trip.

We got into the West Baden Resort, but entered as soon as registration opened and immediately booked the hotel ASAP once finished with the loooong registration.
earossi
Today, I took the 914 to its first PCA autocross. Gave me a number of runs to further evaluate the car......and unfortunately, the driver! Well, the car did wonderfully. Now it just needs a decent driver. LOL. This was my first foray into auto crossing in over two years, and it was not pretty. I ended up with DNF's on most runs, simply because I missed gates on the grid. Not the car's fault. The car has great power. So much torque that I actually started off for each run in 2nd and there is where I left the gearbox.

The mods to my car, including the engine and staggered tires pushed the 914 into a class against 993's and Boxster S's. In reality, I think that the car can and will eventually be competitive against that kind of machinery. I just need to run more races and push the car more.

From a handling standpoint, the car has too much understeer at speed. So, I'll be researching what I need to do to reduce understeer. And, I need better tires, particularly in the front where it was too easy for me to lock the front brakes. Which goes back to the argument that the stock 914 front brakes were probably OK. Instead, I elected to add Boxster front calipers for more bite. I just now need to select a tire that has better traction. Right now I have got Continental DWS Extremes which are all season street tires. Great riding and low noise, but the traction is not up to the demands of auto crossing.

I've attached a couple of photos taken at the PCA auto crossing school from last week.Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=499
521]

What was the most fun, was all the conversations that started from folks walking over to find out about the car. At today's autocross, there were 73 cars running. I had the only 914, and would have been oldest car running save for a 1969 911T and a 1972 BMW 2002. I was especially glad to hear that the color of the car was the first thing that grabbed their eye. When they got up close, they really liked the workmanship of the project. So, I'm a pretty happy camper tonight. I just need to learn how to drive the car as it should be driven.
peteyd
I also love the colour! My cars colour is very similar, and actually my car is almost identical to yours minus a few small details. I also think the red interior is a nice touch.

Nice build.

Pete

r_towle
Look really nice.
May want a rear adjustable anti sway bar, or more springs in the rear...
That one pic of you turning left seems to be the rear is to high on the inside which makes me think the rear needs to be slightly stiffer.
Camaro Mike
Ernie,

Good to hear you had fun today. It was great getting to meet you yesterday and see the car in person.

Mike
earossi
QUOTE(Camaro Mike @ May 3 2015, 07:52 PM) *

Ernie,

Good to hear you had fun today. It was great getting to meet you yesterday and see the car in person.

Mike

The pleasure was entirely mine, Mike. We need to get your Cayman out there. There were about a half dozen that we're running blistering times. They are great handlers.
earossi
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 3 2015, 07:49 PM) *

Look really nice.
May want a rear adjustable anti sway bar, or more springs in the rear...
That one pic of you turning left seems to be the rear is to high on the inside which makes me think the rear needs to be slightly stiffer.

Thanks for the comments. You may be right. One trick I have heard from guys who have auto crossed 914's is to disconnect just one end of the rear anti sway bar to induce some oversteer. I may try that next time. Stiffer springs are something I would resist since I really want this to be a comfortable riding street car. I'm afraid that adding stiffer springs will be at the expense of ride comfort.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.