Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dang it man!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BK911
Just bought a front sway bar ASSuming all 914s had the holes in the tub for the bar to pass through. I mean, seriously? Now what? Really don't want to cut the tub. Do I have some sort of freak, or did other 914s come this way?
colingreene
Very common.
you need to cut the car.
Larmo63
You have to pull the tank and drill. It isn't that big of a deal, lots of threads here and on the Pelican board.

You can do this.
rjames
5 minute job after the tank is pulled. Marks are even already there showing you where to drill.
SirAndy
QUOTE(colingreene @ Apr 17 2015, 09:51 AM) *
Very common.
you need to cut the car.

agree.gif

Most 914s didn't come with sway bars, you'll have to cut the tub ...
sawzall-smiley.gif
BK911
Hmm, I will have to drink on this.
Not a real fan of cutting the tub, especially since I really dont *need* a sway bar.

Thanks guys!
JamesM
QUOTE(BK911 @ Apr 17 2015, 09:51 AM) *

Not a real fan of cutting the tub, especially since I really dont *need* a sway bar.

Thanks guys!

Yeah you do... cut the tub!

Its a minor operation.
BuddyV
My mechanic skills are about as lame as you get (although I take things APART very, very well)..... and I have done this. I would call it more "drilling" than cutting, unless I am forgetting a step.

Regardless, it's totally worth it. After the first turn I took in my car after installing the front sways bar, there was an audible 'Holy SH#$!"

.... and pulling the tank gives you a view into an area that one rarely sees. Good to know how things are looking down there..... much like a colonoscopy.

Do it.... it's a good thing. (both things)

Cheers.

drunk.gif
914_teener
QUOTE(BK911 @ Apr 17 2015, 10:51 AM) *

Thanks guys!

No....you don't.

I take it if you don't want the sway bar. laugh.gif

Kansas 914
QUOTE(BK911 @ Apr 17 2015, 11:51 AM) *

Thanks guys!

How rare is the "tub"?

Front anti-sway bars is one of the best add-on upgrades to a 914. It does make a difference and once you have driven one you won't go back. Just my .02

I am facing the same situation on my '74 - and looking forward to it since I need to pull the tank anyway.
914_teener
QUOTE(BuddyV @ Apr 17 2015, 11:05 AM) *

My mechanic skills are about as lame as you get (although I take things APART very, very well)..... and I have done this. I would call it more "drilling" than cutting, unless I am forgetting a step.

Regardless, it's totally worth it. After the first turn I took in my car after installing the front sways bar, there was an audible 'Holy SH#$!"

.... and pulling the tank gives you a view into an area that one rarely sees. Good to know how things are looking down there..... much like a colonoscopy.

Cheers.

drunk.gif

I disagree....re-installing the fresh air fan is like a colonoscopy.
SLITS
Make sure your A-arms have the tabs on them.
forrestkhaag
the tabs on the A-Arms are essential even if you have to weld them on or find other arms with them / but the job is easy: go to Home Depot or your local hardware store, buy two bits / a one inch diameter hole bit and a 3/8"bit and you are mostly there. Including the tank removal, it is a four hour job if done well and you can "clean up" any neglected fuel hose issues while you're at it.

Have fun. beerchug.gif
Chris H.
There are a bunch of threads on the subject. It sounds pretty easy. I think even I could do it. Kent did a nice job explaining it....start at post 278...

Swaybar install

The measurements in mm are nice. He also references the Pelican install article.
pilothyer
QUOTE(914_teener @ Apr 17 2015, 02:27 PM) *

QUOTE(BuddyV @ Apr 17 2015, 11:05 AM) *

Cheers.

drunk.gif

I disagree....re-installing the fresh air fan is like a colonoscopy.

You do not need to remove the fresh air box to pull the fuel tank.
BK911
Wow, sounds like everybody thinks I should start drilling!!
Had the fuel tank out before to condition the tank and replace fuel lines.
Also have the tabs on the a arms.
Sound like a no brained?
I just hate cutting up an original car.
I may, but haven't had enough beers yet to make a decision.
Harpo
What about the 911 set up where the sway bar goes under the car? Supposedly it is bolt on only

David
SirAndy
QUOTE(Harpo @ Apr 17 2015, 03:15 PM) *
What about the 911 set up where the sway bar goes under the car? Supposedly it is bolt on only

Bolt on, no cutting and works well. Only downside, it's not adjustable.
smile.gif
Chris H.
But don't you need a 911 front suspension to bolt that to or no confused24.gif ?
bigkensteele
QUOTE(BK911 @ Apr 17 2015, 02:09 PM) *

Sound like a no brained?

If you already have the tabs on the a arms, then they probably aren't original anyway. If your car is not a concours queen, why not? There is no down-side if you do it properly. confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Apr 17 2015, 03:49 PM) *

But don't you need a 911 front suspension to bolt that to or no confused24.gif ?

No, all you need is the 911 specific tabs on your a-arms. They are different from the normal sway bar tabs (round with a rubber bushing).

The rest of the 911 underbody bar simply bolts to the steering rack support.
smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 17 2015, 04:16 PM) *
No, all you need is the 911 specific tabs on your a-arms. They are different from the normal sway bar tabs (round with a rubber bushing).

smile.gif

IPB Image
76-914
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Apr 17 2015, 04:02 PM) *

QUOTE(BK911 @ Apr 17 2015, 02:09 PM) *

Sound like a no brained?

If you already have the tabs on the a arms, then they probably aren't original anyway. If your car is not a concours queen, why not? There is no down-side if you do it properly. confused24.gif

agree.gif That 911 set up is cool but I'll bet you can slap that stab in faster than changing out your entire front end. BTW, pretty sure mine is was all OEM and it had the tabs factory installed. But then again, mine is one of those 1000 914's originally slated for EU delivery that were cut from the Herd and sent to the USA. confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 17 2015, 05:14 PM) *
agree.gif That 911 set up is cool but I'll bet you can slap that stab in faster than changing out your entire front end.

You don't need to change the entire front end for the 911 style setup. I just posted that pic to show how that sway bar attaches to the a-arms.

All you need is those tabs, weld them on the a-arms, get the bar with the assorted hardware and bolt it on.
smash.gif
bigkensteele
I don't believe that I would be hi-jacking here since the question is pertinent to the topic.

Can someone post some measurements of where the tab is welded onto the A-arm in a 914 application? And the orientation. I have one of the GPR bars, the inner body back plates from Camp, and the tabs, but I don't know where on the A-arms to weld the tabs nor the direction.

Thanks,
Ken
Chris H.
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 17 2015, 06:16 PM) *

smile.gif

Wow that's great information. I might go this route. Thanks for the info.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 17 2015, 03:46 PM) *

smile.gif

It can also drag a cat under the car for 100 feet... Poor kitty... sad.gif
Mblizzard
Did mine. Well worth it.
euro911
The through-body anti-sway bars are the same type on early 911s (and 912s), although they did come in different diameters. There should be a # stamped in the ends of the bar. I believe mine is 17mm.

The under-body system came along later when the cars started getting heavier and probably more than a lightweight 914 really needs.

Going to install one (through-body) on my wife's car when it's time to rebuild the suspension system(s).
Larmo63
Stock front sway bar is 15mm and rear is 17mm. My '73 non appearance group came with tabs, but no sway bars. They are going on next week.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Apr 17 2015, 08:53 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 17 2015, 03:46 PM) *

smile.gif

It can also drag a cat under the car for 100 feet... Poor kitty... sad.gif

Ouch...don't do it !Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.