Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1973 2.0, #s Match,Bay Area
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
LeftCoastErik
$12.5k
I picked up this sweet 73 2.0 a little while back and went through all of the bad stuff on the car. It is now ready for a new home as I have a v8 powered 72 on the way.

This is a numbers matching car with a rebuilt 2.0. Original injection is gone, but it has brand new EMPI 40s on it (see description). I am in Livermore, CA if you want to check it out in person.

Car was originally red, now black with a decent (good driver quality) paint job that is probably 10 years old or more, but it shows pretty nicely.

925.519. three seven zero zero if you want to call or leftcoasterik@gmail.com for email.

1973 Porsche 914
Restoration Work and Parts List
• Right Longitudinal had rust from Hell Hole but he doors opened and closed perfectly and there was no flex in the jambs when jacked before the reinforcement
I Reinforced both Longitudinals using the Brad Mayeur’s reinforcement kit that ties into the rear suspension arm points
• Hell Hole Area was bad but not terrible. I Used Mad Dog Racing’s Hell Hole Repair kit to replace all rusty metal in that area
• Battery Tray was pretty much non-existent, Replaced with factory repop from Restoration Design
• Right Rear Suspension Console had cracked (not rusted, interestingly) and been POORLY welded in a terrible repair attempt. I Cut it out entirely and replaced with a new piece from Restoration Design, reboxed it into the trailing arm pickup point and seam welded it.
• Interior floor and Firewall both had some rust, mostly on passenger side. All was cut out and replaced
o Both sides had one seat support that had some rust, both were top-plated and reinforced
o All were coated with POR15
• Firewall coated with Al’s Coating Heat and Noise Reducing coating to approx 30mils
• Rear Swaybar was broken. I Removed the links and bar. Tossed the bar, but the links and mounts come with the car, along with new bushings
o Replaced front pads with Hawk HPS and rears with factory Pagids
o Replaced all soft lines with braided lines
• Engine was rebuilt by previous owner, less than 2000 miles on it. No way to verify. 125k on chassis
o New bolt-down cast aluminum valve covers from EMPI
o New EMPI HPMX dual 40mm Weber Kit
o New SVDA distributor with vacuum advance and electronic ignition
o Fresh valve lash adjustment
o Fresh oil change
o New Clutch Cable
o New Left e-brake cable
o New Speedo Cable
• New “Porsche” rear reflector and remote trunk opener
• Complete Jwest Engineering Rennshift shifter installed along with all new shift bushings
• Has 5, correct, 2.0, Fuchs alloys. 4 are polished and on the car wrapped in brand new 205/50/15 Dunlop Star Spec tires.
• New Luisi steering wheel with adapter
• Pedal Box is rebuilt
• New carpets
• New Optima Red Top Battery
• New Turn Signal Switch
• New Drivers Seatbelt (NOS)
• Heater up pipes and rear blower have been removed. Longitudinal tubes are still in place but blocked off with Spray paint lids to prevent fumes in the cabin. Pipes and blower come with the car
• Rear CV Joints have been freshly greased with Swepco, new Allen Bolts from Pelican were used to install them
• New “Porsche” Embossed ABS rocker covers
• The only rust left in the car is on the rear trunk vertical section by the lights. It isn’t structural and it isn’t actually all that bad anyway. Its on the inside only. The whole trunk will be wire wheeled down and POR15 coated
Rear decklid has some cracks forming where they probably filled a dent. Again, no rust visible below, so probably just marginal quality bodywork.
• Has a pair of correct, Porsche numbered side view mirrors installed but there are holes where a larger or different side mirror had been installed at some point.

The car starts right up and runs great, has no smoke or serious oil leaks. 1st gear synchro still good. Trans works great (the shifter helps!) Clutch is solid. It drives great, The carbs are pretty good but could use some fine tuning, IMO
MikeInMunich
Nice description, interesting car, but yer gunna need to put up some more pics! shades.gif

M.i.M.
Cairo94507
Yes, please post pics of the whole car and the problem areas as well as (if you have it) the work you did while in progress. Car looks nice in the one picture. GLWTS
LeftCoastErik
I have tons of the build pics. I'll post some here. The seats and back board are freshly upholstered. The door panels and console pad are being done. I was going to swap that out for the ok interior in the 72 that's coming but I'm feeling lazy.
LeftCoastErik
I can't seem to get photos to upload without a 404 error, so here is a link to a Picasa album with a bunch of pics. I have another 30 or 40 pics, but this should give you the dirt on the car.

https://plus.google.com/photos/101965773718...186564269792033
Cairo94507
BTTT for a price drop biggrin.gif
LeftCoastErik
Thanks for the bump. I'm trying to price it competitively. But cash talks and I am motivated to sell it before the new one arrives next week. I need the space. Please let me know if you have any questions. I just aligned it last night. Drives great
LeftCoastErik
I have the car on eBay now. My Reserve is $12.5k The door panels and center console cushion came back from being dyed yesterday and look very nice. I will post pics later. The seats are FRESHLY done with tasteful rust colored stitching (you can see it in the pics on the link I posted)
I was going to pull them for the new car, but I don't feel like it, so they go with the car.
LeftCoastErik
Here are the interior pics
LeftCoastErik
Another Click to view attachment
LeftCoastErik
Pass doorClick to view attachment
LeftCoastErik
Drivers door Click to view attachment
LeftCoastErik
Sunday bumpday! She still needs a new home.
LeftCoastErik
Auction ends tomorrow!
LeftCoastErik
I must be doing something wrong. .94 watching the auction and it stopped at $8100. I got the carbs synced last night and drove it. It's really sweet. Anybody want to make me a real offer?
OU8AVW
That's a pretty sweet looking car. Seems like a great head start for someone.
Here's a free icon_bump.gif
LeftCoastErik
Thanks Mike! I have a guy working on an offer (sure, sure) and another coming to look at it tomorrow or Thursday, so hopefully it finds a new owner so I can get stupid with the v8 car...
MikeInMunich
I hope this car's price doesn't drop again. At least I like to think a numbers matching car in this condition and its extras is worth at least 11k to SOMEBODY. Hang in there. You shouldn't have to drop it lower than this. Good luck.

M.i.M.
LeftCoastErik
I'll keep it before I lower it again. Thanks for the kind words!
7TPorsh
I saw this on ebay, I am one of the watchers. i think 80% of the watchers are guys like me who own a similar car and want to see what the market is.

That car is worth at least 12k in my book. Selling a car on ebay won't get you top dollar. Buyers need to feel and touch the car...unless it's a bargain.
LeftCoastErik
, I really need the space more than the money at this point. I am about to tear apart my 58 Mercury Wagon and the 72 914 arrives today, and that is coming apart for a TON of work (parts are already piling up) so it needs to go so that it doesn't get shoved outside.
Spread the word, thanks!
LeftCoastErik
I will have the car at the San Jose swap meet tomorrow if anyone wants to check it out
LeftCoastErik
Sunday bump
matthepcat
Shocked this car is not sold.
LeftCoastErik
Thanks Matt. I have two guys coming to check it out tomorrow. We'll see. I'm full steam ahead on the 72..it has to go away
LeftCoastErik
Sold it to a nice couple today. I'm going to replace the ignition switch and the blower motor and ducts since they live in the city. They are going to use it for vintage car rally stuff.
Cairo94507
Congratulations Erik - I hope the couple who bought it enjoy it and drive it many miles. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.