Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Foreign object inside cylinder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TheCabinetmaker
A friend bought a 75 1.8L last summer and has been driving it daily since then. A month ago his motor developed a very loud knock. I said valve seat, but i was wrong. Here's what we found at teardown.

TheCabinetmaker
top of piston
TheCabinetmaker
the culprit. looks to be an engine tin screw.
scotty b
unsure.gif Is that a nail? confused24.gif
TheCabinetmaker
It was obviously there for a time, as the plugs had not been out in a quite a while. How in the world did this thing roll around inside the cylinder for six months, and how the hell did it get stuck at the top of the head and not the bottom?
scotty b
Quick somebody call Robert Stack ! laugh.gif I would guess that the head actually deteriorated at the exact spot that the screw was in and over time fell through the head and into the combustion chamber. screwy.gif After all it is a 914!
Joe Bob
Magic Mushroom?
Joe Ricard
I had a 74 Super Beetle that I inherited from my Mother in Law. stock 1.6L Complaint was it ran really poor and was really loud!
So I looked at it and thought it was a bent valve or something. WhenI pulled it aprt found a cheese head screw holding the intake valve open. it was beat up pretty close to that. Probably bounced around on top of the valve for awhile till it finally lined up right to get inbetween the seat. Obviously Type IV's have enough cam lift to let the whole damn thing through.
skline
Well, it doesnt look like it was supposed to be in there. smile.gif Remove the stray and put it back together and run it till it croaks and then do your rebuild. 75 1.8 liter is not the ideal engine so when you do rebuild, add some modifications. That is what I would do.
TheCabinetmaker
I figured it was dropped down the spark plug hole the last time the plug was out. You think its possible for a cheesehead to fit through an open valve? Hmm, there was also a 13mm nut laying under a pushrod. Looked like an adjuster nut, but none were missing.
Joe Ricard
DAmn don't know who has a cooler avatar me with the cone babe or Skylines stolen baby pic of me and mom.
skline
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Feb 16 2005, 06:19 PM)
DAmn don't know who has a cooler avatar me with the cone babe or Skylines stolen baby pic of me and mom.

LOL!!! Now that's funny, I assure you, it's not a pic of you and mommy. Its me for sure, and if you come to the WCC, I can prove it!! smile.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Scott, putting it back together was my first thought also, but the damaged area is only a few mm from the plug hole.
Joe Ricard
It will be fine if you get all the steel bits out. If you are really concerned you can get a local shop TIG fill the hole in the head grind it smooth. It will last a long time.
Gint
Iszat a chopstick?
tracks914
What ever happened to chop stick boy anyway?
I missed the end result!!
Bleyseng
a good motto is "Always count your nuts after working on the engine. One, two.."
You don't want to lose them in the engine.

alfred.gif
Geoff
Qarl
My wife had my "object in her cylinder" on Valentines Day.. but that's a different story...

Now back to your regulary scheduled program.

Sorry... couldn't resist.
markb
QUOTE (Qarl @ Feb 16 2005, 07:42 PM)
My wife had my "object in her cylinder" on Valentines Day.. but that's a different story...

Way too much info ther, Karl. wink.gif
SLITS
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Feb 16 2005, 08:40 PM)
a good motto is "Always count your nuts after working on the engine. One, two.."
You don't want to lose them in the engine.

alfred.gif
Geoff

+ 2 to be sure
iiibdsiil
QUOTE (Qarl @ Feb 16 2005, 10:42 PM)

Did you enter through the intake or exhaust port?
Jake Raby
.And ALWAYS tape up intake ports while working on the engine with open intakes... (or fill them with rags)

That head is very repairable, just make sure it didn't cause a hot spot and crack.. If its cracked it'll have to be drilled and then welded.
scotty b

wink.gif I guess thats better then a "foriegn object" in her cylinder laugh.gif
sanman

prolly didnt do any damage, put er back together she'll be fine biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (sanman @ Feb 17 2005, 07:07 AM)

prolly didnt do any damage, put er back together she'll be fine biggrin.gif

Just be carefull of hot spots wink.gif heard that can happen during prolonged use and lack of lube.

Back to chopstick guy. Glad to see that Opera guy changed his AVATAR from cam lobes to Chopsticks. Gets the heat off me.
maf914

Did she notice? laugh.gif
DJsRepS
I still remember the plastic chop stik in the cyl trick. I dropped a valve drove it home after it bent and jammed in the guide did min dammage. Tough motors.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.