Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Trunk Latched and No button
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mharrison
My new car came with the rear trunk closed. It has the PORSCHE reflector and no button behind it. The reflector is of course, screwed on from inside the trunk. There is a mystery button in the home made center console, but it doesn't appear to do ANYTHING.

So, do any of you guys have a magic trick for getting in there without a sawsall?
skline
Look for a small hole in the center of the S, if there is not one there you can drill a 1/8 inch hole and push a coat hanger through it and pop the trunk.

Drill the hole dead center on the S, I do mean dead center in the black, you will just have to trust me on that one.
skline
Wait, before you drill it, take a picture and post it so I can be sure!!!
iiibdsiil
I like "Trust me on this" then "HOLD ON!"
skline
Well, it makes a difference if he has a cut down 911 or the one that was made for the 914.
bondo
Mine had a cable that came out next to the engine lid cable. Also look for a pull cable in the engine compartment. If it was wired for an electic solenoid, the wiring would also have to go through the engine compartment. The only stock wiring to the rear of the engine compartment goes through the engine compartment on the driver's side. Anything extra going back there is *probably* the trunk release wiring.

*edited by me for bad spelling*
iiibdsiil
QUOTE (skline @ Feb 16 2005, 11:00 PM)
Well, it makes a difference if he has a cut down 911 or the one that was made for the 914.

I figured you had a good reason, it just made me laugh. I had to double read your post because "trust me on this" so I'm like what's the next person go to say, and boom it's "HOLD ON!" I guess I'm just easily amused.
Rockaria
Before you go a drillin' Maybe you should follow the wires from the mystery button and see if they go towards the trunk if they do then put a quick 12 volts across those wires and see what happens...

It'll either open the trunk or .... blink.gif
skline
Also look down behind the license plate for a cable hanging down, some guys put an emergency cable under there to open it in the event of a dead battery.
bperry
Also, keep in mind that the solenoids tend to be underpowered.
Sometimes they don't have the force needed to pull down without some
assistance.
So try pushing down on on the trunk lid directly above the latch
before pushing the button.
Ideally, have a friend push on the trunk lid while you push the button.
Depending on how the button was wired, you may have to have the
car running as well.

If none of that works, It is probably a good idea to track down the
wires to make sure that there is no inline fuse that is blown.

I also have seen other treads of people using coat hangers inserted
through the plastic cups at the front of the trunk to unlock the trunk.

Good luck.

--- bill
JoeSharp
Ya know its dark out and I just wanted to try. biggrin.gif So Here it is. smilie_pokal.gif
Joe
P.S. This is a cut down 911.
skline
Mine was lower than that Joe, it was on the black in the middle of the S, I think either way it would be close enough to get the wire in to trip the button.
Aaron Cox
joe...

izat the reflector i gave ya?
JoeSharp
Aaron: Yes, Thank You. biggrin.gif
Joe
mharrison
I'll have to check mine to see if it's for a teener or a tail-dragger. I do know that it has a plexiglass looking mounting block that is directly over the hole that the trun release button used to go through. I can pull it out just a bit and see that. I hooked up a battery, turned the ignition on and pushed the button. No dice, I'll tray having one of the kids push on it while I push the button....maybe the other way around though....

Depending on how the button was wired, you may have to have the
car running as well.

Running is not an option:
user posted image

I didn't see any wires going through the engine compartment to the trunk, nor did I see a mechanical cable. I think I'll have to do more investigating before I can sort this out.
Rockaria
On My 72 back in college with a rear reflector, I ran the wire along the loom in the trunk up the drivers side trough the engine compartment along side the other wires in the loom. I brought it into the cockpit to where the engine compartment release lever and put a button there. So you would have never seen the wire. It looked like it belonged. I grounded the solonoid at the rear trunk and brought 12V to the button from the fuse box on the drivers side, under the carpet to the button. So I only had one wire going back. When I pushed the button it sent 12V down the wire to the trunk and opened.

Just an idea of how one was done.
Jeffs9146

Before you drill the reflector you should drill a small hole just below the trunk actuator. Climb under the rear of the car and drill up in the floor of the trunk. Then you can use a coat hanger to pull the actuator down and release the trunk. Prime and paint the hole, then plug it so you can use it later!

Jeff

mharrison
That's a good idea, but where I'm at right now is not even knowing if it has an accuator and solenoid or the old latch still in place. This may have just been closed (along with the restoration project), when the guy got ready to move.
skline
Well, it has to have the latch or it would not stay closed. The wire through the hole in the reflector will open it whether it has an actuator or not. It hits the release regardless.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.