Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: education needed on conversion alternator connections
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
type47
Thinking way ahead while my medical flag restricts me to thinking, not doing. Today I wondered about the alternator connections for a -6 conversion. Here is a pic of the alternator back with the connection points:
Click to view attachment
You can see the B+ terminals. At about 8 o'clock is a lug with D+ (which you can barely see the "D" part) stamped near it. At about 7 o"clock there is a vertical spade with DF near it and the horizontal spade has D- near it. Here is what I want to connect to:
Click to view attachment
Is it really as simple as connecting the D+, DF, and D- from the alternator to the same on the relay board? And the B+ to the post on the starter which is then connected to the + of the battery? Will the dash alternator warning light then still work?
worn
QUOTE(type47 @ Apr 21 2015, 02:02 PM) *

Thinking way ahead while my medical flag restricts me to thinking, not doing. Today I wondered about the alternator connections for a -6 conversion. Here is a pic of the alternator back with the connection points:
Click to view attachment
You can see the B+ terminals. At about 8 o'clock is a lug with D+ (which you can barely see the "D" part) stamped near it. At about 7 o"clock there is a vertical spade with DF near it and the horizontal spade has D- near it. Here is what I want to connect to:
Click to view attachment
Is it really as simple as connecting the D+, DF, and D- from the alternator to the same on the relay board? And the B+ to the post on the starter which is then connected to the + of the battery? Will the dash alternator warning light then still work?

AFAIK the dash alt light is still required to boot strap the alternator into function. If you have an engine harness to those spots on the alternator, and assuming the relay plate carries the voltage regulator for your alternator, i think it is that simple. If you can call that simple. Good luck with the build and the medicos. I myself just was able to lift a flywheel after a couple months self enforced rest.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.