Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 6 conversion - oil tank holes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
OllieG
I can see the light at the end of the tunnel after prepping the engine compartment for the 3.0 6 engine install but I need to cut one more hole for the oil tank. I'm using a DWD tank but it's somewhere buried in storage.

Can anyone help me out with the exact location of the hole marked in the pic?..anyone have a template?

Thanks.

IPB Image
McMark
That one is a royal pain in the ass. If you value accuracy, my only advice is to drill a small hole, install the tank to see how close you are and keep widening the hole with a carbide burr a little at a time. Each version of the tank is slightly different I've found.
OllieG
Makes sense..thanks Mark. It's also difficult to get the drill into the gap..
914dave
Ollie
I can help you out on this one. I''m running the same tank and have test installed it.
My car (shell) is on the lift, so I can make you a template or pics with measurements.
However you'd like. LMK what which you prefer.
Dave
gereed75
QUOTE(914dave @ Apr 28 2015, 06:38 AM) *

Ollie
I can help you out on this one. I''m running the same tank and have test installed it.
My car (shell) is on the lift, so I can make you a template or pics with measurements.
Dave

Dave, Just found your resto pix. Serious work pray.gif

I am doing a rolling resto on a six. I used to drill at the Grove. Believe it or not, we had another 914 fanatic in our squadron doing six conversions. Wish I had known you then, would have had more diversions on drill weekends.
914dave
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Apr 28 2015, 09:03 AM) *

QUOTE(914dave @ Apr 28 2015, 06:38 AM) *

Ollie
Dave

Dave, Just found your resto pix. Serious work pray.gif

I am doing a rolling resto on a six. I used to drill at the Grove. Believe it or not, we had another 914 fanatic in our squadron doing six conversions. Wish I had known you then, would have had more diversions on drill weekends.

Thanks
It actually looks like a car again. Some parts are actually painted. A friend runs the historics there every year. If I ever get out there with him I'll get in touch to check out your project.
Dave
McMark
QUOTE(OllieG @ Apr 27 2015, 11:16 PM) *

Makes sense..thanks Mark. It's also difficult to get the drill into the gap..

Yeah, drilling is a PITA there. I use an pneumatic die grinder and carbide bits mostly.

IPB Image
OllieG
QUOTE(914dave @ Apr 28 2015, 11:38 AM) *

Ollie
Dave

Dave, that would be so useful. Pics with measurements would be fine if that's easier for you…but either is fine. Very much appreciated…

Mark, yeah got a Carbide Burr like that somewhere under the mess!..I've been meaning to invest in a pneumatic grinder, my electric drill is a bit too full-on for delicate work!

Cheers.
914dave
Ollie
Here's a pic of my install. It's and AN fitting, you might need to enlarge the hole for the standard metric fitting. It's still in the same location. I'll get you measurements tonight. Unless you would prefer a template? LMK
Dave
Click to view attachment
OllieG
Thanks Dave, well if you can make a template that would be great but really, pics with good measurements would work fine too. I saw on the DWD site, that hole is suggested to be 50mm.

From your pic, you still need to cut a hole in the shelf right?
914dave
Ollie
Here's the template with measurements. My hole diameter is only 40mm because I'm using 12 AN fittings. LMK if you need more info.

Click to view attachment
OllieG
Dave…you rock! Thanks so much. Will post pics once it's done.

Cheers, O. beerchug.gif

914dave
Ollie
No problem. BTW I'm a big fan of your artwork. You did Dion's car, it's really well done. When mine is painted and back together, you'll be hearing from me.

Anyone who would like a template of the return line hole just get in touch. I can send you a copy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.