Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Working with carbon fiber question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
Ok so all the talk about the carbon fiber deck lids has got me thinking about buying a pair, both my stock lids are tweeked. I have never worked with carbon fiber before, and the only stuff I have seen is the kids driving with black CF hoods on their cars. So I assume that CF be worked like fiberglass can? It can be painted and such? Maybe I would paint them, the black might look kinda cool (or ricey, is that a word) on my orange car. idea.gif

Picture back from Aug 03, still looks the same smile.gif
Mueller
if going to paint, there is a killer deal in the classifieds for CF lids...$350 ea

i'm going to attempt leaving mine bare, I'll have to see once on the car how I really like the look...
r_towle
I currently have fiberglass lids and I was thinking.....

Could I put a single layer of CF on top of the fiberglass..provided I sand down the paint to a good solid base....then clear coat that???

I can get CF for alot less money than a whole hood (specially shipping to the east)

And if I mess it up, sand and paint, or try again...

What do you think, would that work???

Rich
URY914
I've worked a lot with f/g and c/f to a lesser degree. As far as a the guy working at home on c/f, there is very little differance that I have found. Now if you want to start making structural c/f and using a autoclave to form parts, big diff.

C/F looks cool when it is left unpainted and polished, but painting over it is no different than f/g. If you make a part and plan to leave it unpainted, you need to realize the cloth needs to be nice and stright and not pieced together.

Paul

GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (Mueller @ Feb 18 2005, 09:55 AM)
if going to paint, there is a killer deal in the classifieds for CF lids...$350 ea

i'm going to attempt leaving mine bare, I'll have to see once on the car how I really like the look...

huh.gif How did I miss that?? I didn't see anything the classifieds. Is the part of the Getty CF hood buy? GETTY
mack914
Nothing about $350 CF lids in the classifieds. Group buy is the best deal at $499 from Getty.
scotty b
www.sollercomposits.com & www.tapplastics.com has some useful info on C.F. I am going to attempt making some dash trim pieces and a console with C.F. myself. Does the high gloss come from polishing the resin or is it actually clear coated?
Mueller
QUOTE (itsa914 @ Feb 18 2005, 11:46 AM)
QUOTE (Mueller @ Feb 18 2005, 09:55 AM)

huh.gif How did I miss that?? I didn't see anything the classifieds. Is the part of the Getty CF hood buy? GETTY

they must have sold yesterday...these were the lids from GT Racing that Joe was not too happy with, Hank let him re-sell them at a discount instead of shipping them back to GT.... ya snooze, ya looze smile.gif

mack914
I believe he sold them to get into some CF lids from Getty.
Mueller
QUOTE (mack914 @ Feb 18 2005, 12:39 PM)
I believe he sold them to get into some CF lids from Getty.

yep...he was impressed by the pictures of my lids (in the pictures.....)
URY914
QUOTE (scotty b @ Feb 18 2005, 11:16 AM)
www.sollercomposits.com & www.tapplastics.com has some useful info on C.F. I am going to attempt making some dash trim pieces and a console with C.F. myself. Does the high gloss come from polishing the resin or is it actually clear coated?

I just polished the resin with rubbing compound than polishing compound.

Looked real pretty.
Andyrew
Felix bought em..

I was watching the thread.

r_towle
if i put CF over fiberglass would the white show through with one layer???

Do I wrap the edges all the way aroun to get a smooth edge???

Rich
Series9
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Feb 18 2005, 01:58 PM)
Felix bought em..

I was watching the thread.

Yep, Felix jumped right on 'em and is patient enough to wait until WCC05 for delivery.

Thanks Felix.
Kevin@ojai.net
Working with carbon (pre-preg especially) to do structural pieces isn't too bad. (the green stuff is the release agent)

-Kevin
URY914
QUOTE (r_towle @ Feb 18 2005, 12:59 PM)
if i put CF over fiberglass would the white show through with one layer???

Do I wrap the edges all the way aroun to get a smooth edge???

Rich

I did C/F over FG and it didn't show thru.

I run the material out larger than the cut off line so it is thick as the middle when I trim it back to the line. You may have trouble trying to wrap the material back 180 degrees on to itself. It is usally too stiff for that., unless it is a fine cloth.

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.