Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Porsche emblem....correct placement???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
ninefourteener
First off....I've seen just as many 914s with the crest on the fron trunk as I have without the crest. Mine doesn't have one, but it's getting one regardless of originality or not. Anyone have any guidance on whether or not they came with one?

Now..... of the ones I HAVE seen with the crest, I've seen it placed 1 or 2 inches from the end of the trunk lid......... and I've seen it practically up in the middle of the damn hood.

If it IS original........ where do I put it? How do I know how far to measure up from the front of the trunk to start drilling??

Thanks!!!
campbellcj
There were not original, so there's no correct placement wink.gif

You could probably just eyeball what looks good to you, or perhaps go look at a short-hood (74-89) 911 and measure how far back from the front edge it is.
djm914-6
I lined the top of the crest with the top of the headlights. I think it looks to be in about the same location as a 911. Pelican Parts has a template for drilling the holes IIRC.
ninefourteener
Damn...now I've got to go searching for a 911 out there somewhere. The poor owner is going to freak out when he sees some strange guy eyeballing his car with a measuring tape--LOL

Thanks!!!

beerchug.gif
ninefourteener
I didn't order from Pelican, tweeks had ir for about 6 bucks less, so I ordered from them.

I guess I'll just do the best I canm using the "eyeball" method
Rockaria
I have seen many different placements. Ones that are even with the top of the headlight buckets seem way too high. I like it a bit below.

Here is where I think it looks best on a 914.

IPB Image

If you want I can go out and measure it for you.

Edit: 4.5 inches from bottom of hood near bumper to bottom of badge. About 4 inches from top of headlight bucket line to top of badge. Looks realy nice in that zone.
ninefourteener
Actually, yours looks kinda high too, at least for my taste. I'm curious though, if you wouldn't mind doing that, it'd at least give me a guide.

This is my last 914... don't laugh, I know it needed work, but the emblem was really low on it...too bad I never measured it huh?

Thanks!!!
Jenny
Hey, your last 914 looks better than both of mine combined! I think it looks great. Did you ever strap a picnic basket to the back?? tongue.gif

Jen
Rockaria
Added info to above post of placement measurments...
ninefourteener
4.5 inches....gotcha. Thanks!! Maybe I'll go with about 4???

We'll see..I appreciate the help.

Jen..... actually, it was a descent car, the paint was really about HALF as good as it looked in the picture, the front spoiler was cracked all to hell, and the INTERIOR...... whew...get a load of this---LOL

Nevertheless...I was hooked forever ohmy.gif)

Thanks!

Wacky interior pic:
Jenny
The seat cushin pattern is making my eyes jump. Can't... stop.... staring....... wacko.gif

Jen
ninefourteener
Yea..I know. Would you believe I bought that car from an 87 year old man?

I think he once lost his bowels in the drivers seat too. Tough to see in the pic, but it had a nasty stain.

White...... cloth......I'm sure you understand.

I miss it, I love the one I have now 10 times more though. Where's yours????
Ferg
Can't make it out in the pic's, but what's hanging from your rear view?? Looks like it is the same object that's in the new green car as well. Just nosey thats all unsure.gif
Ferg.
Rockaria
QUOTE(ninefourteener @ Jun 5 2003, 03:06 PM)
4.5 inches....gotcha.  Thanks!! Maybe I'll go with about 4???

Ya Know t just hit me. You could take the badge down to kinkos and get a color copy of it. Then cut that out and with a little electric tape on the bottom of the paper, put it on the hood and move it around till it looks just right.

Just a thought... Even an inkjet printout of a scan of the badge would work. Or you could enlarge it and have it printed on sticker paper for the Rice effect! (Just kidding... It's the heat down here in the southwest getting to me...) wacko.gif
seanery
I like the placement of the red one.
anthony
As others said it was not original. Personally I have an aversion to unecessarily drilling into the body of a car.
Lawrence
It's not original, granted. Each person should do what makes them happy with their car.

I have mine in roughly the same 4.5 inch area. I think the factory should have badged them, but didn't want to detract from their precious little baby, the 911.

I heard that in the UK, they got badged when they were converted over to RHD. Don't know if that is true or not.

Badges? We don't need no steeking badges. We know it's a Porsche.

But I *like* mine.
mueba.gif

-Rusty
ninefourteener
Jen...... OUCH... holy crap that looked like it hurt!! LOL

The mirror hangy thing...... Yes, that was a cheezy necklace my 6 year old daughter made for me out of macaroni the exact same day that I bought the orange one.

When I was dforced to sell the orange one to pay lawyers fees in my divorce, I saved it cause I knew I'd get another 914.

So there it hangs on my new one. Sentimental I guess.

As for the badges, I think Porsche should have put one on........ so I'm just finishing what they forgot to do. As for the "precious" 911....... read my signature...that tells all.

Here's what I think of the overpriced, understyled, I wanna look like a rich guy, yuppi-mobile, Oh my god my penis is tiny! car....the 911

finger.gif
Rockaria
Speaking about things They should have done to stock 914s... My feeling is they should have done the reflector thing on the 75-76 914 to compliment the bumpers "WHICH I LOVE!"

IPB Image

And put on 5 bolt Fuch rims... And a better steering wheel. So I am just correcting on my car what should have been done in the first place.

The 1970-74 cars look great with the combos they had. They compliment the 911s of the time. But the 75-76 914 could have complimented the improvements in the 911 of their time.

Just my 2 cents,
ninefourteener
Hey, that brings up a question I had....Where'd you get that reflector thingy??? Did you just order one for a 911? Does it fit?

Also, don't you have to install an electric solenoid to pop the rear trunk?

Info.... need info
Rockaria
QUOTE(ninefourteener @ Jun 5 2003, 04:15 PM)
Hey, that brings up a question I had....Where'd you get that reflector thingy???  Did you just order one for a 911?  Does it fit?

Also, don't you have to install an electric solenoid to pop the rear trunk?

I found the reflector on ebay. It is a 911 one that was cut. It really does not fit as nice as I like. It has more of a bend in it than the 914 bumper. It was already cut to let the stock trunk key area stick through, So I did not need a solinoid. At first I was skeptical, but it looks great.

I did not cut holes in my rear to mount it. I wanted to be able to remove it if I did not like it. So I cut off the screw mounting tabs on the back (Hey it only cost me 40 bucks) and I used some wire through it and the lock area to tie it on for a basic fit and then Siliconed it into place. To get rid of the yellow paint that you can see at the top and bottom (That bugged me too) I used black electical tape. Yep I just lined it up and put on a lot of that electrical tape. Works like a charm and is mostly hidden from direct view, and after many months with it like this it looks just as good.

The best part is that it will all come right off without any damage to the car at all so I can return it to stock if I want...

I hope this helps a little,
ninefourteener
Hmmm... I like the way it looks, I'm skeptical about cutting one up though. Maybe I'll astart another column just for that...see if there's a part out there that actually fits correctly.

I like the 5 lugs too. Even tually, one day I may convert. Takes $$$$$ though

Thanks! beerchug.gif
silver six
In my opinion Rockaria's yellow 914 has the Porsche shield placement correct and the red car has the shield a little low. I believe that the shield should be exactly at the midpoint between the front edge of the hood and the top of the headlight line.

One way to get the shield in that position is to run two diagnal strings, so that where the strings cross is exacly (up to down and right to left) in the center between the two headlamp cutouts.

Douglas
djm914-6
Pelican's Crest Tech Article Includes the template.

I was wrong about the placement of mine. I placed it in the middle of the headlights.
Mark Henry
My 914 has the crest, reflector and the negative stripe.
When I repaint it they all go back on!
(no rush, stone chips and small scratches)

I don't care what anyone else thinks, it's my car!

My reflector is the aftermarket one made for the 914. It fits real good but it could use some fine tuning.
MDB2.gif
ninefourteener
Where did you buy it? I know neither pelican or tweeks sells it.

Any suggestions?

Anyone else know of a descent 914 parts supplier that can ship me a catalog, or has a descent website?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 5 2003, 03:50 PM)
My reflector is the aftermarket one made for the 914. It fits real good but it could use some fine tuning.

the aftermarket reflectors are usually too dark IMHO.
you can barley read the word porsche.
the 911 ones looks better, and after you cut them on the ends AND drill the holes in your car, they will flatten when tied down to match the line of your car.

yes, you'll end up with holes in your car.

Andy

IPB Image

IPB Image
bernbomb914
AA had one complete with selanoid, check their catalog was $125.00

Bernie
ninefourteener
AA???? Who is that? The only place I've bought parts from were tweeks and Pelican.

Do they have a website?
SirAndy
http://www.automobileatlanta.com/

the guys no one wants to deal with because of their attitude and fuck-ups and screw-overs ...

Andy
Jenny
Yep. Check out this thread.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...t=ST&f=2&t=2549

Jen
ninefourteener
I'll keep htem in the back of my mind. Honestly though, call me old fashioned, but I don't trust e-bay, I'd rather avoid it at all costs.

Thanks for the info though, to all
72Signal914
That's why we call it Evil-Bay. Here;s a pic of my crest
72Signal914
Sorry for the size here's the other
krk
Just measured the placement on a 76 911. 3 1/4 inches to the bottom of the crest. Pic's (if desired) later when the camera is unpacked. Oh, my 914 has a crest and I wish it didn't. (there ya go smile.gif)

kim.
Qarl
Hey 72Signal914 (a.ka. Mike)

You're the computer graphics guru... can't you "reduce" those images... wacko.gif

Hey... what's that spot to the lower right of your crest.... Is it a beauty mark?

You should name her Cindy Crawford... icon12.gif
72Signal914
I know but I'm lazy and didn't feel like it.

You know I like the beauty mark there I think I should paint it black so it looks like a mole laugh.gif I'd be the cover-car for our Calender

EDit: Fixed the image size
Qarl
I've seem Mike's (72Signal914) car a few years ago parked at the grocery store. It's a nice car.

He's just gotta get it on the road and convince his parents that it's a good daily driver.

Of course, in this crappy rainy, humid, Florida summer, it's nice to have it indoors.

I think placement of the crest somewhere in between 72Signal914s and DJM914-6s would be perfect!
Curvie Roadlover
Think long and hard before you put a crest on your car. It's kinda like a tattoo. My first 914 didn't have one and I put one on. I later regretted it, but it was too late. I had to sell it (only partly because of the crest). huh.gif
djm914-6
I wont regret putting on a crest. IMO, it should have had one from the factory. Unless your really going for concours points, I wounldn't worry about it. But, if your really worried about it, cut off the pins and attach the crest with 3M trim tape (the grey stuff). Even when I get the 'glass hood, I'll put the crest back on.
tod914
Actually, the Dr. Johnson 914 book I have, shows an early car with a factory hood crest on it. Sorry I cant scan in it for yah. Probally only a handfull ever had them. Becarefull and double/triple check your alignment of the crest. Walk away for a while, then check it again. The idiot that installed one on my previous 73, must of just got back from oktoberfest when he aligned it beer.gif
ninefourteener
You've got a pic of an ealy 914 with a crest on it? How does it look? How far up from the hood does it took?

We've gotten several different opinions..... some think it should be aligned with the top of the headlams, some think in the middle, and my first one was actually closer to the bottom of the headlams.

Where did PORSCHE put the emblem??
tod914
I stand corrected, its in the brian long book on 914's, page 34 & 35. It was on prototype. 4.5 is too high.
it seems that the orange car posted by 72 signal is pretty close to what is depicted in the book. So my guess would be 3 1/2" from the bottom. Maybe purchase the book be4 you drill. Great book to have anyway - Brian Long Porsche 914 914-6
isbn 1-874105-84-7 should be able to order that from any book store $40.00

Some1 with a flatbed scanner should be able to post the image for you too.
ninefourteener
Yea...I agree his 72 Signal looks GREAT. I'm kindsa thinking I agree with you.

Honestly, the crest should be in my mailbox today, And there is no way I'm going to want to wait for a book to come in--LOL
tod914
By the way, your car looks great. I was wondering if that one was from staten island 2 owners ago. A low milage willow green freshly repainted was for sale about 6-9 months ago. Looks identical to yours. Just out of curiosity, what other kinds of cars was the guy selling?
ninefourteener
Honestly, I'm not sure, of who owned it then, But I'm certain the guy I bought it from had it for a couple years.

I didn't actually see any of the other cars he had, but I think there were 1 or 2 911s, and some newer, high-dollar stuff...all british and german.

I paif $7500 for this car, and I think it was his cheapest one.
elmonte
Buy two crests Cut of studs on one and install with tape
check what placement looks best for you
then install the second one if you must put holes in
your slick looking hood.
J P Stein
What I want are VW Porsche & 1.7 emblems ....for cheep, of course. biggrin.gif

I have to get ulf relicensed soon. I may as well get the personalized plate I want while I'm at it.
Lawrence
As long as we're dreaming, I'd like a set of 916 badging (cheap!) that I can modify for use on my /6. smile.gif

Actually, if I had a set of 916 badging that I could use on the rear panel, I'd probably ditch the letters on the engine grille.

-Rusty
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.