Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The two wheel lift ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
SirAndy
Going through some of my pictures, i started to wonder if there is something i can do about this?
idea.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

McMark
Some thoughts I pulled out of my hair:

Lower CG- either by moving weight down, or moving the whole car down.
Stiffer suspension- you obviously have a nice F/R balance, make everything harder to keep the weight from shifting towards the outside.

Apparently it only does it when you're turning right. poke.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ May 4 2015, 11:05 PM) *

Doh! Then all i need is a 220lbs passenger and i should be fine ...
biggrin.gif
Randal
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 5 2015, 09:45 AM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ May 4 2015, 11:05 PM) *

Doh! Then all i need is a 220lbs passenger and i should be fine ...
biggrin.gif

Questions:

What springs are you running? Are you running a limit slip differential?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Randal @ May 5 2015, 10:55 AM) *

200lbs rear springs, stock 911 19mm torsion bars upfront, front and rear swaybar, Koni adjustable shocks on full hard for the track, no LSD (yet).
idea.gif

PS: Keep in mind, this car gets mostly driven on the street, i don't want to go full race for the suspension. All the images were taken at the track with the Konis set to full hard.
ThePaintedMan
Those runs are on slicks right?

Also, the rear swaybar has an impact, probably fairly significantly with slicks. It's probably the biggest reason why the rear is off the ground.

With slicks and without bigger torsion bars, I bet that the front is probably always going to lift.
SirAndy
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ May 6 2015, 05:29 AM) *

Those runs are on slicks right?

Also, the rear swaybar has an impact, probably fairly significantly with slicks. It's probably the biggest reason why the rear is off the ground.

With slicks and without bigger torsion bars, I bet that the front is probably always going to lift.

GoodYear R250 slicks.

The chassis doesn't twist much with the cage and all so usually the whole side of the car just comes up.
It happens quite often at AX and can be somewhat scary.

I'm just afraid i'm gonna flip it over one of these days.
unsure.gif
sbsix
Andy, it's been my experience that running a rear sway bar without a LSD will cause the inside front wheel to lift in a tight corner, running shaved tires. No experience with slicks to comment on.
ChrisFoley
This issue is related to roll centers.
If the CG is above the roll center, the car will have a greater tendency to tip in a corner.

On a lowered 914, the front roll center may even be below ground, but the rear roll center is probably well above the CG.
naro914
What Chris said...

fyi, I don't run a rear sway in either of our cars and never have rear lift. I kept trying it, and it handled horribly, so I took them off both cars..

Forget Papa Smurf because full race set up, but with Huey we have 180# rear and biggest (21mm??) front torsion we could find, with a Weltmeister front sway bar. The most anyone has ever seen of front lift is relatively minor..both with Hoosier A6

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Randal
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 5 2015, 06:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ May 5 2015, 10:55 AM) *

200lbs rear springs, stock 911 19mm torsion bars upfront, front and rear swaybar, Koni adjustable shocks on full hard for the track, no LSD (yet).
idea.gif

PS: Keep in mind, this car gets mostly driven on the street, i don't want to go full race for the suspension. All the images were taken at the track with the Konis set to full hard.

I couldn't keep 222 on the ground with less than 240# springs in back. Also I never ran a rear sway bar after several people, that know what they are talking about, told me they didn't work.

You have a bunch more weight in the back than I did, so thinking you might even nead heaver springs.

Easy to swap out your springs where ever you want to race. Also if the front lifts less without the sway bar hooked up and with heavier springs you know your going the right direction.

Ask around and borrow a set of 300#ers and give it a try. I'd also call Bontempi and ask what springs the 3.6 they build had in her.
john914somers
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 4 2015, 10:09 PM) *

Going through some of my pictures, i started to wonder if there is something i can do about this?
idea.gif

What kind/size sway bar up front?
SirAndy
QUOTE(john914somers @ May 7 2015, 04:25 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 4 2015, 10:09 PM) *

idea.gif

What kind/size sway bar up front?

An early Tarett prototype bar, it's hollow and supposed to be the equivalent of a 21mm bar.
smile.gif
Andyrew
I cant remember if I have 275's or 225's in the car right now... I might have a set of 275 12"ers that you can test out. They wont let you go that low though, I believe I swapped them out so I could run a hair lower.
Or you could just grab some new ones..

http://www.summitracing.com/search/departm...Order=Ascending

J P Stein
I lifted the inside front regular like, but never got up on 2 (as far as I know).
21 mm front T bars, the same tarret bar as And, no AR bar in back with 275ls springs in back.....on slicks.

I don't know the answer but I suspect your suspension is too soft for slicks & your ride height is too high.Click to view attachment
Downunderman
I suspect that the shocks screwed up to full hard are acting as springs. Wind them right back and see what happens.
Randal
QUOTE(Downunderman @ May 7 2015, 01:00 PM) *

I suspect that the shocks screwed up to full hard are acting as springs. Wind them right back and see what happens.

Yup, good first move.

yeahmag
I have some 275# 2.25" rear springs you can try if you like. I'm running 225# rears with 21mm front torsion bars and a 19mm roll bar.
naro914
Honestly Andy I don't think there's a way to fix this, its done. I'll take it off your hands and relieve you of the stress of such an awful car...

smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.