Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: All-Metal Body Filler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
I tried my first attempt at using All-Metal body fille to smooth out some rough surfaces. The instructions say to mix a certain amount of activator an apply. Set up time before sanding it says is 20-30 minutes. It's been 2 hours and the stuff is barely starting to thicken. I may have not added enough activator. Will it still cure if I leave it alone for say 24 hours?
914GT
Either you didn't add enough hardener or it's too cold. The other possibility is the stuff is old.
watsonrx13
QUOTE (914GT @ Feb 19 2005, 06:42 PM)
Either you didn't add enough hardener or it's too cold.  The other possibility is the stuff is old.

agree.gif

I always add a little extra on the activator, then let it dry overnight. If you add too much activator, then it will solidify quickly and it will be difficult the spread evenly. Just mix another batch, but with less activator.
rick 918-S
scrape it off and start over. Don't trust it.
Allan
Unfortunatley I will have to give another 16 hours to cure as it is back at the office and I just got home. I mean if given enough time, this stuff will cure wont it?
TheCabinetmaker
Follow Ricks advice, even if it gets hard after 24 hours.
Allan
If I do that. how the heck do you scrape it off? This stuff ends up with the same consistency as lead.
Allan
ohmy.gif biggrin.gif sad.gif unsure.gif wacko.gif blink.gif ohmy.gif
914GT
So is it hard yet? rolleyes.gif

If you have to take it off a heat gun will help.
Allan
I don't know. I be heading over to the office in an hour or so to find out.
Allan
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Feb 19 2005, 03:53 PM)
scrape it off and start over. Don't trust it.

Well shit! Even after 24 hours the stuff still didn't harden well. Got it all off though. Here I go again.
TravisNeff
Something is funny, either not enough activator or something. did just like the instructions said and then hit it with a board hand sander after 30 minutes, it was SOLID!
balljoint
Check for a date code imprinted on the "product". If it still doesn't work you can verify with the manufacturer that your retailer is selling old stock. That will get you a replacement and a "sincere" apology. The mistake I usually make is adding too much hardener, gotta work fast.
davep
We used to use Devcon aluminum filled epoxy by the ton (literally). We had the local supplier bring it in as needed so it didn't get 'old'. It was amazing how much better the fresh material was compared to 'old' material that was still well within it's freshness date. I think storage conditions are important. Mix the base material well before adding the activator. Mix well again before using. Oh, we used to keep the material in a warm-box set for about 100ºF for a few hours before mixing. I would expect the body-filler to act much the same way. Don't mix more than you can use in ten minutes. The clock starts ticking as soon as the activator is added, not when you have finished mixing. You have to plan to work fast. Keep the tools as clean as possible.
Brando
is this metal filler the alternative to leading?
TravisNeff
Yep, alternative to lead, alternative to fiberglass type fillers. It's just that, filler.
Lou W
Well if no one else is gonna...

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
redshift
I recently started using a 5 minute alternative to the West epoxy I had been using.

smile.gif

Whatever the outcome, the job is done.. soon.

M
DJsRepS
After all that I would try a test batch on cardboard or sumtin.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.