Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: T4 engines..my options:
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914ghost
Okay, my nice running 912 engine ate the crankshaft last week.
Much of the engine, at least the expensive stuff, is toast. I figure I may be able to squeeze enough cash out of the remains to start a decent type4 upgrade.
First the questions...
1. If I had a Bus / Vanagon 2.0 shortblock, can I put 1.8 914 heads on it and be okay?
Of course that combo would get a webcam and solid lifters.
2. If I had a 2.0 914 longblock, can I put 1.7/1.8 VW 411 heater boxes on those 914 heads?
I have the carbs, I have access to a 411 engine with all the stuff...so I'll need the 3-5 trans gears too I think to make it decent.
Whatch'a think?
TIA
Bob O
McMark
1. Yes, the 1.8 heads bolt on.
2. Yes. The 411 boxes work really well.

The 411 engine will bolt up as well if you have a full engine. This conversion is really easy. Let me know if you have any questions, been down this road before.
Bleyseng
If you can use a 2.0L 914 (95hp) engine as the bus motors are all 68hp low compression slugs. Not all bus motors are hydro, my 76 Westy is solid lifter.
A Raby cam is a better cam as he has seveal split duration jobbies that really wake up the engine. Longer exhaust duration helps the crappy exhaust design on a Type 4.
If you are doing the upright fan Jake has a nice conv fan too that is the way to go. It is a proven design cools the engine evenly unlike the other products out there.
With dual carbs and a cam change you can get into the 115hp range.

Geoff
DJsRepS
Send whats left to JAKE with green backs. He will make your wheels spin.
Tom Perso
My friend did a T4 conversion for his 69 912. The 356 motor was in good shape, he just wanted to pull it and keep it stock and complete. The conversion is easily reversible back to stock

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Later,
Tom
Bleyseng
Where is the pics of the tranny gear swap out???? I thought you were doing that this weekend..... wink.gif
Jake Raby
I have a ton of 912 enthusiast using the DTM to do the conversion simply and correctly. I even have the waterjet cut engine tin to seal the bay up just like factory in the huge 912 engine bay.

The conversion can also be done with the stock TIV cooling and its VERY EASY if you have tin from a 912E.... BUT that tin will cost you more than a DTM unless you get real lucky.

The TIv is the only way to go with a 912, use a 914 flywheel and pressure plate and it all bolts up to the 901 perfectly.

You can build two 120HP TIV engines for what it cost to rebuild one STOCK 912 engine. The torque difference is phenomenol.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.