Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone have a speedometer rebuilder they have used? Hoping to find one in the midwest
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
crap! I was just quoted 350-450 to go through a 914 speedometer! Wow! It's likely worth it but I would like to at least look for an option.

I have three 150 mph speedometers with failed odometers.
zambezi
It's usually just the plastic drive gear that has crumbled. I have fixed 928, 944 and a 993 odometers with that problem. Fairly easy to do yourself. I would assume the 914 to be just as easy.
sean_v8_914
north hollywood speedo. Helmut is still there but more as a tech advisor
sbsix
Rick, North Hollywood redid my instruments and did a great job and at a reasonable amount. I had them do some custom touches as well.
naro914
We've used Nichols Speedometer for years, from back when I owned Exclusive Motors. But it was easy...there are close to us here in Charlotte.
http://www.nsifleet.com/home.html

jim_hoyland
North Hollywood,; agree.gif best around. You can talk to Helmut directly too...
wes
I don't know how they compare to Hollywood Speedometer but Palo Alto Speedometer did all my gages and I couldn't be happier!
TheCabinetmaker
The odo is an easy fix Rick.
RonnieJ
I had my odometer repaired in Virginia at Specialty Gauge and a great job and not overly expensive here is the link.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1298885
andys
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ May 12 2015, 02:00 PM) *

You can by the odo gear from: http://www.odometergears.com/products/Porsche/914+70-76/75

I did my 993 speedo odo gear myself. Hardest part is un-rolling the surround, then re-rolling it without damage. I'm sure NH Speedo and others have a tool that won't mar the surround.

Andys
Kansas 914
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ May 12 2015, 03:00 PM) *

agree.gif

I fixed mine with a few drops of Super Glue Gel.
rick 918-S
I dug through my stash and found a speedo with a rebuilders tag on it. I tested it and it works. So I decided to look into one of the pother ones I have. Pelican has an article on this. I fixed one last night. I will fix the others also now.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ May 13 2015, 08:47 AM) *

I dug through my stash and found a speedo with a rebuilders tag on it. I tested it and it works. So I decided to look into one of the pother ones I have. Pelican has an article on this. I fixed one last night. I will fix the others also now.

aktion035.gif

Dave_Darling
Another source for pretty much anything 914-related in the Midwest would be Brad Mayeur at 914 Limited. If he can't fix it, he'll know of a good place to get it fixed.

But it sounds like you're doing it yourself--which isn't hard, it was my first really involved 914 repair! smile.gif

--DD
DRPHIL914
sorry for the highjack, but do any of these companies re-callibrate as well?
mine is off by 5mph at 60mph, shows only55(verified with gps). car once had lower profile 15's and i now have 205/55 16's so my O.D. is about 1" larger than before, and i would likeit if it were closer . i dont plan on running smaller tires on these 16's, i think i found the combo i like.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Philip W. @ May 13 2015, 12:32 PM) *

sorry for the highjack, but do any of these companies re-callibrate as well?
mine is off by 5mph at 60mph, shows only55(verified with gps). car once had lower profile 15's and i now have 205/55 16's so my O.D. is about 1" larger than before, and i would likeit if it were closer . i dont plan on running smaller tires on these 16's, i think i found the combo i like.

Re-cal was mentioned in my phone conversation. Maybe that's where the $ 450.00 price came in. I'm a 914 guy. I just fixed it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.