Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: door handle problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jacksun
Hi,

trying to remove the door handles and the nut just spins.. so does the threaded stud..

A is where I scrapped away some of the rubber seal and the threaded stud is visable
and it turns when the nut is wrenched.

B is the nut that is scarred from the vise grips... wrench would just turn the nut and
the threaded stud

Click to view attachment

C is the nut and stud in question.... a snip from an image of some one else's.

Click to view attachment

the car was painted with the handles on by some one previously.

I would think that the threaded stud would just come out when wrenching the
nut??

any ideas??? please...

thanks

randal
TheCabinetmaker
Remove the door panel then remove the 5mm Allen screw that holds the front of the handle from the inside, then you can get a pair of vise grips on what is left of the stud.
jacksun
tks for the reply....

I had already removed the door panel and the 5mm hex screw.

the vise grips and a hammer does not seem to work on the

nut. the stud and the nut just spin....

so is this toast.... ?????

tks

randal

Bartlett 914
The stud has broken free in the handle. You nay need to cut off the nut. The stud could be replaced with an oval or flat head screw. Getting off the nut is the biggest problem. I would try a dremel cutoff disk in the nut
screenguy914
Try inserting a pry bar or equiv. in space A, between the handle assy and door panel, then apply prying force while rotating the nut. Hopefully, the stud should back out from the handle assy.

If you're patient and careful, you may be able to save the handle. Inspect to see if there's enough meat to repair with a new thread insert or equiv.

Sherwood
pilothyer
After you get it off, the handle can be restored and reused. One of 3 ways: #1 tap the hole where the stud was and use a short bolt/screw to reattach. #2 tap the hole where the stud was and red locktite a new stud in place. #3 drill the hole out where the stud was and use a small bolt/screw and nut.
jacksun
thank you for your reply....

I am thinking that I should try to cut off the stud where (A) is pointing.

the other door is the same........... fun

tks again.

randal

edit.............. I have tried the prying and wrenching the nut....

URY914
I know more about outside door handles than anyone here so please believe me.

Only way to get the handle off is to cut the nut off. Drilling out the stud will make cutting the nut off easier.

Trying to cut it off at the "A" location will only f-up your door.
URY914
QUOTE(pilothyer @ May 16 2015, 12:20 PM) *

After you get it off, the handle can be restored and reused. One of 3 ways: #1 tap the hole where the stud was and use a short bolt/screw to reattach. #2 tap the hole where the stud was and red locktite a new stud in place. #3 drill the hole out where the stud was and use a small bolt/screw and nut.

#1- the handle is cheap pot metal. Tapping it won't work.

#2- see above.

#3- BINGO!
URY914
QUOTE(screenguy914 @ May 16 2015, 12:19 PM) *

Try inserting a pry bar or equiv. in space A, between the handle assy and door panel, then apply prying force while rotating the nut. Hopefully, the stud should back out from the handle assy.

If you're patient and careful, you may be able to save the handle. Inspect to see if there's enough meat to repair with a new thread insert or equiv.

Sherwood

You'll break the mounting tab doing this. But feel free to do it and send it to me to be repaired. I could use some cash.
URY914
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ May 16 2015, 12:03 PM) *

The stud has broken free in the handle. You nay need to cut off the nut. The stud could be replaced with an oval or flat head screw. Getting off the nut is the biggest problem. I would try a dremel cutoff disk in the nut

Excellent advice! first.gif
URY914
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ May 16 2015, 11:21 AM) *

Remove the door panel then remove the 5mm Allen screw that holds the front of the handle from the inside, then you can get a pair of vise grips on what is left of the stud.

I don't understand this at all. The stud is on the outside of the door.
jacksun
so......... what I did was to cut off the nut and then used the drill press to

drill out the stud...

now to take the handle to the flat head store and buy what fits.

tks for everyone's help..

randal
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.