Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No heat ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914itis
I installed the heat exchangers on the six , all flappers and hoses installed with the exception of the blower tube. The output for the blower is capped.

I started he car and let it idle for 25 minutes and no heat .

Do I need the blower on the six exchangers ?

Where can I get these j tubes?
screenguy914
Can you post a photo of your engine compartment and under-engine cabin air components? There's something askew with your hot air path/passages.

If you equipped and plumbed your system like an early 911s, you don't need the engine-mounted blower motor, although it does provide more air volume through the system, especially at idle and low speed.

Sherwood
Cairo94507
I agree 100%- a stock Six heat exchanger system will cook you out of the car. Even without using the blower motor heat comes in well enough on its own.
mepstein
the heat should pour out when you step on the gas. The engine fan will force a lot more air through than an electric fan.
Spoke
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 17 2015, 06:59 AM) *

the heat should pour out when you step on the gas. The engine fan will force a lot more air through than an electric fan.

agree.gif

I get very little hot air in my 930 at idle. Once the engine gets spooled up like on a highway there is more heat. I would like to add an electric fan to my system to get more heat out of it.
GeorgeRud
If you're using a later large displacement engine, you do need to either backdate to the heat outlet engine tin (with the air horns), or figure out a way to get the air from the blower motor to the heat exchangers' inlets. My -6s will cook you easily with just the stock set-up. If you don't have enough heat with the stock system, just drop down a gear for a while!
914itis
I will take a picture later . I will also go for a drive to test it out as I did not drive it..
Engine is a 2.0L Six
914itis
I drove the car for an hr and no luck .
I unhook the Jose drom the flappers and blow air from my leaf blower and I got plenty of air from the vent .
The flappers could use some adjustments but they are more than half wAy open
Here is the setup .
mepstein
Top of the engine pics?
914itis
Ill get you one in tomorrow, but nothing is plumbed rom the top to the HE's
mepstein
QUOTE(914itis @ May 17 2015, 11:32 PM) *

Do you have the hoses from the side of the alternator fan to the HE's?
914itis
No , that a why I mentioned that the blower fan is not connected
914itis
mepstein
QUOTE(914itis @ May 18 2015, 05:46 AM) *

You will need the fan hoses and ducts. They push air from the fan through the heat exchangers then into the cabin. Much like the type 4's. You can usually get a set of ducts with a wtb on pelican or buy repros. A used set that needs some clenup is usually $100-125. Then sell your fan block off plates for around $75.
914itis
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 18 2015, 06:37 AM) *

You will need the fan hoses and ducts. They push air from the fan through the heat exchangers then into the cabin. Much like the type 4's. You can usually get a set of ducts with a wtb on pelican or buy repros. A used set that needs some clenup is usually $100-125. Then sell your fan block off plates for around $75.

But as discussed here, the fan is not necessary to get some good heat.
GeorgeRud
The engine fan is absolutely necessary to push air through the heat exchangers. I think there was confusion as the later six cylinder engines (from 1975 on) used another blower fan to help move air through the exchangers. If you obtain and connect the ducts as shown, you should have plenty of heat (even though it looks like your heat exchangers have been repaired with patch panels). Please be sure to obtain and keep a carbon monoxide detector in your car as old heat exchangers could develop cracks that would allow exhaust gases to enter the cockpit, with potentially dire results.
914itis
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ May 18 2015, 09:18 AM) *

The engine fan is absolutely necessary to push air through the heat exchangers. I think there was confusion as the later six cylinder engines (from 1975 on) used another blower fan to help move air through the exchangers. If you obtain and connect the ducts as shown, you should have plenty of heat (even though it looks like your heat exchangers have been repaired with patch panels). Please be sure to obtain and keep a carbon monoxide detector in your car as old heat exchangers could develop cracks that would allow exhaust gases to enter the cockpit, with potentially dire results.

Thanks . I install the ducts. I tested the HE's for leaks before installation and yes, I will keep a carbon monoxide detector in the cabin.

Thanks for your concerns .
mepstein
QUOTE(914itis @ May 18 2015, 08:54 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 18 2015, 06:37 AM) *

But as discussed here, the fan is not necessary to get some good heat.

Electric fan - no
Engine fan - yes

Ther are tons of threads on pelican about backdating the heat. It is easier on a 914 than a 911.
914itis
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 18 2015, 01:05 AM) *

Mark,
Looking at this picture , does the flex pipe shown attaches to a j pipe as in the T4's or does it go all the way down to the exchangers?.
Thanks

mepstein
QUOTE(914itis @ May 18 2015, 10:32 AM) *

Mark,
Looking at this picture , does the flex pipe shown attaches to a j pipe as in the T4's or does it go all the way down to the exchangers?.
Thanks

Goes through a hole on the engine tin down to the he's. All one length on each side. I have some factory tin if you need pictures and size for the hole in the tin.
914itis
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 18 2015, 10:58 AM) *

Mark,
Thanks

Goes through a hole on the engine tin down to the he's. All one length on each side. I have some factory tin if you need pictures and size for the hole in the tin.

Yes please with the size of the holes and the lenght of the hose if possible .
mepstein
QUOTE(914itis @ May 18 2015, 11:00 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 18 2015, 10:58 AM) *

Mark,
Thanks

Yes please with the size of the holes and the lenght of the hose if possible .

Holes are 65mm diameter. I don't know how long the hose is. I know people buy from aircraft spruce.com I'm guessing 2 feet on each side but it's just a guess. someone who has a 6 will probably know.

914itis
Thanks .
rgalla9146

Paul
No need for J pipes on a 6
Engine cooling fan side tubes down through the engine side tin and into the heat exchangers.
Hot air out of exchangers through flapper valves and into longs.
4 cyl. flappers can attach right onto the exchangers.
How the control wires and the direction of the arms on the flappers will work I can't tell you.
The only heater/ blower fan on a 6 is in the dashboard.
mepstein
I'm pretty sure you want the heat hooked up for the summer so that the air cools the headers and then gets dumped out the flapper valve.
euro911
So Paul, do you already have a set of fan duct nozzles?

IPB Image
914itis
Yes I do. They are currently capped.
mepstein
QUOTE(914itis @ May 18 2015, 12:58 PM) *

Yes I do. They are currently capped.

Great. Your 95 percent done.
Steve
I just bought a set of these from Sierra Madre. Not the right color, and i only tried it on the passenger side, but it fit nice and the price was right.
http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/Hot-A...-83-p26789.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.