Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear suspension
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fduval
Hi , I just changed my rear shocks today , put in new sport bilstein witn 140 lbs springs,
my rear end is about 3/4 inch lower on the right side versus the left side, . is there an adjustment screw that I can play with to get proper level on both sides ?

I am new to 914`s !!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks
mepstein
have you driven the car yet? Driving it will settle the shocks. After that, I got nothing.

welcome.png
fduval
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 17 2015, 05:27 PM) *

have you driven the car yet? Driving it will settle the shocks. After that, I got nothing.

no, not driven yet . I will try that thks
bulitt
Sounds like the spring is not seated in the perch.
fduval
QUOTE(bulitt @ May 17 2015, 06:23 PM) *

Sounds like the spring is not seated in the perch.

I will have to verify that thanks
toon1
IIRC, bilsteins have adjustable perch locations, maybe they're different.
Dave_Darling
At least some of the Bilstein shocks have a circlip around the shock body that the lower spring perch rides on. If the spring is in the perch, double-check the position of the circlip. You may need to slide the lower perch upward to see the clip.

--DD
mepstein
Driving it will make a difference. Also, might measure out differently with some weight in the driver seat.
fduval
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 17 2015, 07:26 PM) *

Driving it will make a difference. Also, might measure out differently with some weight in the driver seat.

went for a short drive, the diff now is 1/4 inch side to side . I guess its acceptable. Thanks for all the inputs .
mepstein
QUOTE(fduval @ May 19 2015, 08:07 AM) *

went for a short drive, the diff now is 1/4 inch side to side . I guess its acceptable. Thanks for all the inputs .

as he shocks continue to settle in it will probbable end up very close. driving.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 19 2015, 08:11 AM) *

as he shocks continue to settle in it will probbable end up very close. driving.gif

agree.gif
I have been running these shocks since i bought my car 6 years ago, so i have a question: why the 140# springs? i have found that the 100# springs with the stiffness of the sport bilistiens to be sufficient with street and some sport driving -- just wondering how much of a difference there is?
pdlightning
QUOTE(Philip W. @ May 19 2015, 06:49 AM) *

agree.gif
I have been running these shocks since i bought my car 6 years ago, so i have a question: why the 140# springs? i have found that the 100# springs with the stiffness of the sport bilistiens to be sufficient with street and some sport driving -- just wondering how much of a difference there is?

A lot of people have gone with 180 and 200 springs. I wonder if they had sport Bilsteins?
Paragon
Where on the car are you measuring the ride height? If you're using the fender lip that's not always best..particularly if the car has ever been hit.
Eric_Shea
140's are perfect with a 19mm adjustable bar up front.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Philip W. @ May 19 2015, 05:49 AM) *

agree.gif

Ummm... 40# Phillip. blink.gif

Seriously, The shocks and springs do a different job. Mine are 200# springs and I use that to deal with the heavier weight of the 3.2 liter Carrera motor. My shocks are Koni adjustables set to full. While this might sound like I have a harsh ride, I don't. The Elephant bushings allow everything to do its job. The springs to bounce the car up and down, the shocks to keep things from bouncing up and down too much. I do use a rear stock sway bar to balance out the much larger Tarret front bar.
fduval
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 26 2015, 08:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ May 19 2015, 05:49 AM) *

agree.gif

Ummm... 40# Phillip. blink.gif

Seriously, The shocks and springs do a different job. Mine are 200# springs and I use that to deal with the heavier weight of the 3.2 liter Carrera motor. My shocks are Koni adjustables set to full. While this might sound like I have a harsh ride, I don't. The Elephant bushings allow everything to do its job. The springs to bounce the car up and down, the shocks to keep things from bouncing up and down too much. I do use a rear stock sway bar to balance out the much larger Tarret front bar.

Yep the car now seats even on both sides, ride is a bit stiffer than when I ran stock but still smooth, not aggressive. at all. But I wonder if I should go with 180 pnds if I drop a 2.7 1974 flat 6 in it ....?
mepstein
I think springs and suspension setups are also location dependent. After our winter, east coast roads are terrible. Probably a lot rougher ride compared to Southern California.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.