Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Making a broach?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
So,
I want to make a spacer for my steering wheel on the 911 to bring it closer to me.

There is a very hard to find, and honestly ugly, factory spacer that people are getting big money for now.

So, I figure if I can find a way to make a broach that would match the splines on the steering shaft, I would make my own.

Is this a common item that all shops have, or can I find a shop that does?

I am not looking to replace my wheel with a non stock wheel, just want the spacer.
screenguy914
I suppose sliding the seat closer has been tried?

If that didn't work, your objective might be better achieved by purchasing an aftermarket wheel (Momo, Sparco, Nardi, etc.) with the desired dish. The adapter might add some desired depth as well. To move it even closer to you, try stacking multiple adapter plates, the type that adapts the mount hole spacing of different steering wheels (e.g. Momo>Nardi+Nardi>Momo. About 1/4" thick each. See Ebay. Note: I haven't confirmed this yet; just a quicky brain fart.

There are probably simpler methods I've overlooked.

Sherwood
mepstein
I've made a couple. Not cheap but not ugly. Works just like stock and will work on 914 or 911 wheels. Stock rivets must be drilled out and then spacer can be fitted and bolted together. Early 914 horn plunger replaces 911 piece.
bulitt
Wonder if you could use an old steering column shaft as a broach?
Should work on aluminum spacer?

Taper it on a lathe
Turn/cut grooves for chip relief
Harden it by heat and quench.
mskala
I have limited knowledge of machining but splines like that can be done. Grinding
a tool to shape would be pretty simple, but it will be time consuming to set up and
do them all.

Wouldn't a simpler solution be to get another steering column shaft and lengthen
it, then drop in a plain spacer?
mbseto
For a spacer, does it need to be splined, or can the hole just be cut oversize? If it does need to be locked in, can it be cut with just, say 4 splines? That would be easier to make if it does not have to hold a torque.
Matt Romanowski
There is nothing easy about making good splines with a broach. You're best bet is to find a wire EDM and have them cut it.
wndsnd
QUOTE(mskala @ May 18 2015, 07:54 AM) *

I have limited knowledge of machining but splines like that can be done. Grinding
a tool to shape would be pretty simple, but it will be time consuming to set up and
do them all.

Wouldn't a simpler solution be to get another steering column shaft and lengthen
it, then drop in a plain spacer?

This seems like a good solution. Call the guys in Claremont, they probably have one inexpensive in stock. Keep the original in for when you sell the car.
Dave_Darling
When we were faced with that same problem on my wife's SC, we picked up a 3.2 Carrera wheel from a friend whose daughter had wrecked his car. (Don't feel bad; he had at least two other 911s at the time.) I think the wheel may have been an optional one, but it moved the rim back several inches from the dashboard, which was what we wanted.

Now she doesn't break fingernails when trying to hit apexes on the track. smile.gif

--DD
sixnotfour
call it a day...............

http://www.aasesales.com/collections/porsc...f56-100w-105158
mepstein
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 18 2015, 12:06 PM) *

Good find. It's an evening project.
r_towle
admit I have not looked.
Isnt it held in by one big nut and the hub is splined?
If so, I cant use a piece like that above?

Or, is the idea to remove the hub from the wheel, and bolt this space, and the hub all together?

Sliding the seat forward....good joke.
Long legs dont allow that to work...so when you push the seat back, the wheel is now too far away for a comfy long drive.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.