Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Inexpensive side shift firewall bushing solution
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bill's Racing 914
I just transitioned my 1970 914 from tail shift to side shift. The dilemma was what to do for the firewall bushing since no one makes the firewall transition bushing anymore.

Bruce stone sold me the set of side shift linkages. With it, I asked him to cut off a 6 inch length of the tail shift linkage that goes in the tunnel. It just happens to slip right over the side shift tunnel link. There is some slippage, but it is tolerable. This six inch sleeve is the rusty tube in the photos.

This allows me to use the same tail shift firewall bushing I already had in place. When I put the side shift linkage in place, all I did was push the sleeve as far back as I could against the knuckle joint and used a sheet metal screw to hold it in place. see photos.

So that all the tail shift tunnel linkages don't start disappearing from people cutting them up, I am certain an equivalent stock tube size is available that will work.

Works like a champ.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
r_towle
smart.
screenguy914
That sleeve surface looks pretty rough. Could be an effective way to enlarge the nylon bushing. You don't want that.

I believe Tangerine Racing offers a firewall shift tube bushing.

Sherwood

mikedsilva
I recently bought the parts to convert my tail shifter, from Bray Mayeur.
He actually welds a tube to the shift rod, in the same spot where you have your tube.. the only difference is that he polishes the tube to a near mirror finish so it is nice and smooth.. a liberal coating of grease will hopefully keep the surface rust away.

I have not started my conversion yet... tell me, did you have to cut away some of the internal bulkhead to stop the rod rubbing when selecting 1st or reverse?

Also, did you buy a complete side shift box, or did you dissect your existing box and swap the selector rods etc etc...
Mike.
brant
when did the conversion bushing go away?

dang....

calling 914 rubber????
maybe Mark will make us one
r_towle
QUOTE(mikedsilva @ May 18 2015, 03:10 PM) *

I recently bought the parts to convert my tail shifter, from Bray Mayeur.
He actually welds a tube to the shift rod, in the same spot where you have your tube.. the only difference is that he polishes the tube to a near mirror finish so it is nice and smooth.. a liberal coating of grease will hopefully keep the surface rust away.

I have not started my conversion yet... tell me, did you have to cut away some of the internal bulkhead to stop the rod rubbing when selecting 1st or reverse?

Also, did you buy a complete side shift box, or did you dissect your existing box and swap the selector rods etc etc...
Mike.

no cutting should be required to switch transmissions.

For the tranny itself, you need a side shifter parts tranny at the very least.

You need the shift console, all the rods, the rear cover....there is alot of difference.

Rich
SirAndy
QUOTE(brant @ May 18 2015, 12:16 PM) *
calling 914 rubber????
maybe Mark will make us one

agree.gif
Vysoc
I believe Patrick Motorsports makes one, as I have one that will be going in my project. It does require some machining to the shift rod, but is a quality piece of milled aluminum with a swivel bearing type mechanism in the center.

Vysoc flag.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Vysoc @ May 18 2015, 04:47 PM) *

I believe Patrick Motorsports makes one, as I have one that will be going in my project. It does require some machining to the shift rod, but is a quality piece of milled aluminum with a swivel bearing type mechanism in the center.

Vysoc flag.gif

My firewall spherical bearing doesn't require any machining of the rod. piratenanner.gif
IMO, the Patrick bearing is not a great choice: 1) Turning the rod down to less than .750" OD leaves the tubing too thin. 2) The bearing must be removed from the firewall to remove the rod from the tunnel. 3) The firewall has to be modified for the bearing frame to be attached.
Vysoc
Chris,

Just checked out your solution on your web-site, which will bring up another question, which I think I know the answer. Six conversion will it require a different shift rod as I see you offer two different models?

Thanks,

Vysoc flag.gif
BeatNavy
I did the side shift switch on my '72 a few weeks back. I'm very happy with my Tangerine Racing Shift Rod bushing. Especially once I installed it facing the right direction dry.gif . Shifting is much better! piratenanner.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Vysoc @ May 18 2015, 05:27 PM) *

Chris,

Just checked out your solution on your web-site, which will bring up another question, which I think I know the answer. Six conversion will it require a different shift rod as I see you offer two different models?

Thanks,

Vysoc flag.gif

I think the bent rod works ok with a six conversion, but the bends are unnecessary. A straight rod works fine.
Mike Bellis
In a pinch, 3/4" ID PVC pipe makes a good bushing. Tight fit on the rod and tight fit on the firewall.
screenguy914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ May 18 2015, 02:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Vysoc @ May 18 2015, 04:47 PM) *

Vysoc flag.gif

My firewall spherical bearing doesn't require any machining of the rod. piratenanner.gif
IMO, the Patrick bearing is not a great choice: 1) Turning the rod down to less than .750" OD leaves the tubing too thin. 2) The bearing must be removed from the firewall to remove the rod from the tunnel. 3) The firewall has to be modified for the bearing frame to be attached.

Agree with Racer Chris. In addition, Patrick's "bushing" uses a spherical bearing that's fine for close tolerance spherical movement (yeah, the rod moves at an angle a bit). However, the hardened bearing ID isn't designed for linear motion. However, heavy grease should help mitigate tube wear.

Sherwood
Mikey914
I was tapped by BD stone to look into these and have actually started the process. It's nice to have another option but much easier to just have a "stock" bushing to pop in. These are a little ways out still as I'm finishing up 2 other large projects.

Mark
ChrisFoley
I started making a steel filler ring that converts the firewall opening to use a standard sideshift bushing.
Larmo63
With a bit of fabrication, won't Chris's firewall bushing fit the firewall?

I have one in my car and I love it.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 19 2015, 11:29 AM) *

With a bit of fabrication, won't Chris's firewall bushing fit the firewall?

No fabrication required. It fits early and late chassis firewalls.
The housing also has a groove to hold the sideshift boot.
Bill's Racing 914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ May 19 2015, 08:05 AM) *

I started making a steel filler ring that converts the firewall opening to use a standard sideshift bushing.

Bruce Stone and I talked about this as an option too. Basically a big machined aluminum washer that rivets on to the firewall. The OD big enough to accept the rivets, the ID small enough to accept the standard side shift bushing.

But if it comes out at $100 from Tangerine, I can have my own made up (I are a mechanical engneer too)...or I will stick with this sleeve solution which only costs the price of a sheet metal screw since I already had all the tail shift stuff in place including the bushing.

I like simple solutions. They are the most elegant.

I agree that I should have polished the sleeve first.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Bill's Racing 914 @ May 19 2015, 03:36 PM) *

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ May 19 2015, 08:05 AM) *

Bruce Stone and I talked about this as an option too. Basically a big machined aluminum washer that rivets on to the firewall. The OD big enough to accept the rivets, the ID small enough to accept the standard side shift bushing.

But if it comes out at $100 from Tangerine, I can have my own made up (I are a mechanical engneer too)...or I will stick with this sleeve solution which only costs the price of a sheet metal screw since I already had all the tail shift stuff in place including the bushing.

I like simple solutions. They are the most elegant.

I agree that I should have polished the sleeve first.

Even simpler than you have imagined, and no where near $100 - closer to $20.
Why would I make a more expensive product so someone could continue using something I prefer to see eliminated? That makes no sense.
My firewall bearing is only $56.95 delivered. It will outlast the stock bushing, while providing better support the whole time. Replacement bearings (no housing) are only $17.50, not much different from the stock bushings.
Harpo
Chris design if far superior, more robust and simplier

David
Bill's Racing 914
Here's some more info from a new post: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=257289

Looks like Patrick racing has a solution too. Might be worth a try also. Look at the bottom of the post about his shift rod and the firewall bushings. They take 3/4in dia shift rods.

The only problem is the bolt flanges on these bushings may run into the lip around the firewall hole on the early tail shift chassis.

Here's the one Patrick uses from Speedway motors: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Firewall-Mou...-Size,6845.html

An alternate bushing from Speedway would be:
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Firewall-Mou...-Size,6845.html
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Bill's Racing 914 @ Jun 7 2015, 02:11 PM) *

Here's some more info from a new post: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=257289

The Patrick tunnel rod has a straight drilled hole where the cone screw goes. screwy.gif
Just one of many things I don't like about their shift linkage products.
Bill's Racing 914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jun 7 2015, 02:03 PM) *

The Patrick tunnel rod has a straight drilled hole where the cone screw goes. screwy.gif

But does that mean the $13 spherical bearing from Speedway with the two hole flange won't work?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Bill's Racing 914 @ Jun 7 2015, 09:32 PM) *

But does that mean the $13 spherical bearing from Speedway with the two hole flange won't work?

TANSTAAFL
BeatNavy
agree.gif (I've read Heinlein!)

Chris provides excellent support for his solutions, too.

worn
QUOTE(Bill's Racing 914 @ Jun 7 2015, 06:32 PM) *

I would buy from Chris anytime. Except I want to do it myself (Young Frankenstein). I had a '72 and am adding the side shift. So for $8

Click to view attachment

I did nothing at all to the new shift tube, but I did alter the bearing for lightness and fit - it was 3/4 inch originally. Easy to put the bearing in the lathe and ream it out.

Click to view attachment

Now if I can finish welding the oil tank for the side and get the motor lifted into place I can try it for real! laugh.gif
Steve
QUOTE(Bill's Racing 914 @ Jun 7 2015, 06:32 PM) *

That's my ad in the classified. First off, I would recommend Chris's solution first. Years ago before Chris offered these products there was a German guy in southern cal, that worked at a machine shop. He recommended the 3 bolt bearing and was shaving down the stock 73 and later shift rods to 3/4" with a lathe to support the bearing. The solution worked great, but as Chris mentions you have to remove the bearing every time you needed to remove the shift rod. I used double nuts on the rear, to make it easy to remove the bearing from the rear. When going to a 915 gear box, PMS sells a tunnel shift rod that is not adjustable. The adjustment as far as I know is done with the rear shift rod. There rear shift rod is designed for a Wevo. I went with Martin's 916 kit, so I bought Chris's adjustable tunnel shift rod. The adjustable shift rod works great with my 916 trans setup.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.