Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HELP: Can We Rally Around and Help Michele?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Eric_Shea
Hey Gang,

This looks like one this group can (and should) sink their teeth into.

Michele had her teener stolen 8 years ago and it was recovered recently (a little worse for wear).

I've offered a set of calipers up...

If you have any parts languishing in a dark dank corner of your garage or shop... perhaps the Karma Wizard may shine favorably on you if you helped Michele.

We haven't had a good feel good story here in a while and this one is a keeper:

http://flatsixes.com/porsche-culture/stole...michele-benson/

Dig in!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
StratPlayer
Be glad to help, have to know what is needed for the car. Is she aware of this about to happen?
McMark
Michele contacted me yesterday about this car. Here's the list of parts she's looking for. Let's send some stuff her way. Until we can coordinate with her, parts can be sent to me and i'll get them to her.

Passenger side turn signal amber lens (round) 914rubber.com set of (2) $44.00 - Shadowfax
Engine Deck lid seal 914Rubber.com glass to engine rattle $22.00 - Note: glass to engine rattle is because the rear window is loose. Check Eric Shea's rear window how-to.
Targa Top Release handle - Roof Latch Passenger side upper right front - McMark
Door Complete Rubber set for entire car
Passenger side headlight side gear to motor assembly or the entire assembly (+Relay)
Brake cover rubber pad DONE
Rugs in front and rear trunk
Rear trunk pan
Front trunk pan
Toggle Bolt for spare tire tie down - 72wrxporsche914
Front trunk lid (white)
Back trunk Lid (white)
Both front ¼ panels left and right (white)
2 front visors with mirrors left and right NEED LEFT DRIVERS SIDE 914
Visor clips left right and center. $98.00 914Rubber.com - McMark
Seats both left and right (Camel color 1976)
Back pad with light (Camel color)
Center seat cushion (camel color)
Mag Caps all four black Porsche emblem
Tool Kit and jack for trunk
Emergency original hand brake 1976
Rear sway bar links Porsche DONE
Parking Brake Hand original
914 windshield 1976
toon1
what parts does she need?

looks like it needs more physical help than parts. Probably a good BBQ restoration party is needed
McMark
I have good used parts I'm throwing in a box:

Visor clips left right and center.
Targa Top Release handle - Roof Latch Passenger side upper right front
Andyrew
I've got a rusty rear trunk lid I can probably salvage if she's missing one, however it looks to me like she just needs bodywork done. I can volunteer a day of my time to do bodywork on the car if we want to get a party going.

warpig
I have a headlight motor assy. on my parts car to throw in but it is a 71. Let me know if that is compatible. (Dont know if it works but should be complete)
I also think I have a reaqr pad light (new) I got from Pelican a while back I am not going to use.
I will dig into the boxes and find it and get the headlight motor pulled this week and get a pick of it for you. beerchug.gif
McMark
It appears to me that she just need the linkage pieces. The headlight assembly itself is there, and her email implies the motor is there.
76-914
I thought I had a lot of stuff but.......I got nothing but Kind words for her. dry.gif

EDIT: Is she a member?
72wrxporsche914
Where can I send this for her,
peteyd
What is her husbands shop? They are the ones doing the repairs right?

Pete
Mike Fitton
Are you sure the car wasn't abandoned in her driveway when she moved. Any pictures of the car showing condition prior to it being stolen?
McMark
IPB Image
Larmo63
I can contribute beer and guitar/singing entertainment…..?
Mueller
I could only offer some time and wrenching on it...however the wife might not understand why I'd be working on somebody elses car and not on my own! smile.gif
Mike Bellis
I don't have any of these parts but I did tell her I would help out at a build party.

She is a very nice lady and definitely an enthusiast.
914bub
QUOTE(peteyd @ May 19 2015, 01:50 PM) *

What is her husbands shop? They are the ones doing the repairs right?

Pete

Hayes European in Soquel CA.

http://www.hayeseuropean.com/

Please PM me
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 19 2015, 09:15 AM) *

Hey Gang,

Michele had her teener stolen 8 years ago and it was recovered recently (a little worse for wear).

If you have any parts languishing in a dark dank corner of your garage or shop... perhaps the Karma Wizard may shine favorably on you if you helped Michele.

Dig in!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Eric,
Did you click on her website? She's been a contributing photographer to Rolling Stone and several other music mags for 30 years. Quite a resume...
bulitt
I have a slightly nicer spare tire hold down bolt.
PM me your address if you want it McMark.

Click to view attachment
scrz914
I took an e-brake handle and a door handle sleeve(?) over to the shop today and checked out the car. Probably the most serious issues is how badly bitten it is by rust. Rear trunk lid is probably history as well as the front lid. The cowl at the windshield is also swiss cheese. The husband said rust at the hell hole goes all the way through. They could really use sheet metal repair parts and the expertise to cut and weld. The drivers seat has been shredded. I didn't even realize there was a wire structure in the headrest on these cars. I live a few blocks away from his shop and offered any help I can give.
This will definitely be a labor of love.
Old Yella
Think she stole my repair list. left it on the kitchen table this morning and when I got home it was gone.
Now if I had a spare rubber kit laying around what would I do with it?
mepstein
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ May 19 2015, 04:57 PM) *

Are you sure the car wasn't abandoned in her driveway when she moved. Any pictures of the car showing condition prior to it being stolen?

I know im cynical and a jerk but I just wonder why 2 seemingly well off people, one who owns an auto repair shop, are soliciting donations for parts to repair a car that their insurance probably paid for years ago.
JRust
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 21 2015, 05:29 AM) *

I know im cynical and a jerk but I just wonder why 2 seemingly well off people, one who owns an auto repair shop, are soliciting donations for parts to repair a car that their insurance probably paid for years ago.

I don't think it is her soliciting donations. Seems like guys here just want to help them get it back on the road. It's a nice story & sounds like she is a nice lady. If you don't have one of the parts to contribute no biggie. They will be putting plenty of money into bringing it back to life. This is just another time when our community is trying to help someone. It's not about the parts or the money confused24.gif
76-914
QUOTE(JRust @ May 21 2015, 06:35 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 21 2015, 05:29 AM) *

I don't think it is her soliciting donations. Seems like guys here just want to help them get it back on the road. It's a nice story & sounds like she is a nice lady. If you don't have one of the parts to contribute no biggie. They will be putting plenty of money into bringing it back to life. This is just another time when our community is trying to help someone. It's not about the parts or the money confused24.gif

We also have 2 terminal members. Funny, they haven't even asked for a nickel. Why aren't we addressing their needs? confused24.gif Not a jab at you Rusty. It's just eating at me. Rant over. sad.gif
sixnotfour
well I agree , sort of. but the 914 members you mention are selling things in the classifieds, my suggestion is buy their parts with a gratuitous shipping and handling fee.... Or send em a get well card ..life is not that complicated..at this stage...

as for parts for this person ...she can have em if I got em ....why because Im throwing em out.. there are way more parts than cars...

If I ever ask for a part..I hope it is reciprocating...

It would be nice if she did join up and share her 914 enthusiasm...
McMark
Ugh, I can't believe this thread is going this way (Mike Fitton, mepstein, 76-914). So sad.
sixnotfour
great remark.....I thought I was trying to turn it around abit ..guess not
McMark
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 21 2015, 08:21 AM) *

great remark.....I thought I was trying to turn it around abit ..guess not

Not you! You're one of the good(ish) ones. tongue.gif Even if you do drunk Bud Light.
sixnotfour
grouphug.gif

question .. does she know the fenders are welded on ??
EdwardBlume
I'm willing to help. Everybody needs help once in awhile.
scrz914
We help how and when we can. There was no claim sent in at the time.
mepstein
Hey, I'm the first to admit that the people on this board help me out more than I deserve. I just asked a question and had (my own) opinion. I thought that was still allowed.
76-914
QUOTE(McMark @ May 21 2015, 08:09 AM) *

Ugh, I can't believe this thread is going this way (Mike Fitton, mepstein, 76-914). So sad.

Uh oh. I feel a time out coming. biggrin.gif If we 3 get a time out can we please have separate detention rooms. We're much too opinionated to be placed together. lol-2.gif
McMark
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 21 2015, 10:52 AM) *

Hey, I'm the first to admit that the people on this board help me out more than I deserve. I just asked a question and had (my own) opinion. I thought that was still allowed.

Sure, have you opinion. No repercussions. My opinion is that we're trying to help out a fellow 914 owner and saying that they don't DESERVE help is a shitty thing to do.

welcome.png
rhodyguy
kent, go stand in the corner. wink.gif
ConeDodger
She needs parts because she is not experienced at sourcing them and it is a very old car.

Her getting her car back is a feel good story all its own. Our helping her get it back to its former glory is a testament to what this community is made of.

I wonder if, when you're driving down the road you wouldn't pull over and help someone in a 2015 Jaguar but you would pull over for someone in a 74 Pinto? Why does one person deserve human kindness while another should fend for themselves?

Be more human... If not, just be less opinionated. dry.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(McMark @ May 21 2015, 02:32 PM) *

Sure, have you opinion. No repercussions. My opinion is that we're trying to help out a fellow 914 owner and saying that they don't DESERVE help is a shitty thing to do.

welcome.png

Who said they don't deserve help?
McMark
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 21 2015, 01:30 PM) *

welcome.png

You did.
"why 2 seemingly well off people, one who owns an auto repair shop, are soliciting donations for parts to repair a car that their insurance probably paid for years ago."
rick 918-S
Great 914 story! Who are the terminal members? (only if they want us to know) I have been out of the loop here. Sometimes people ask for help. Sometimes others are compelled to reach out and do something to make life a little better for someone else. No one is making anyone help. I say find a cause that can make a difference to you and go with it. One thing I caution about though. Never push yourself onto someone's life unless they are a willing recipient. Some people just want their privacy. Respect that.
mepstein
QUOTE(McMark @ May 21 2015, 04:50 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 21 2015, 01:30 PM) *

welcome.png

You did.
"why 2 seemingly well off people, one who owns an auto repair shop, are soliciting donations for parts to repair a car that their insurance probably paid for years ago."

I don't see it that way but I will not ask anymore questions about this story. My apologies.
Chris H.
On a lighter note I'm probably buying a Ferrari.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Big Len
If that's a Ferrari, my 914 is Mclaren P1.
7TPorsh
QUOTE(Chris H. @ May 21 2015, 03:09 PM) *

where's there rest of it? you know....the Ferrari parts
76-914
QUOTE(Chris H. @ May 21 2015, 03:09 PM) *

poke.gif Chris, see your Dr. immediately. This is treatable if it's low "T". If it's "SPS" (small penis syndrome) then your screwed and will just have to buy one.
SirAndy
Nothing like the sound of old men bickering in the morning ...
lol-2.gif
AvalonFal
ALL 914 lives matter...rich or poor & in between.
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 19 2015, 10:15 AM) *

Hey Gang,

Dig in!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Send your free extra parts to me I don't have a sad story yet for sympathy but I will soon, I am still searching the Internet for one!
rick 918-S
Can we get this back on the rails now? Remember this could be you someday. Play nice kids. Like mom told you, If you don't have something nice to say move along. These kinds of things are not for everyone. Thanks for stepping up with this Eric.
Eric_Shea
I came back and thought I would be impressed.

I'm not. Wow. Things have changed here. sad.gif

I thought it would be a fun way to show an outsider how we (used to) care about the cars and the people that drive them.
Dr Evil
I got nothing on that list, and I am not local, but if I can help I am interested. If Eric says things are on the up and up, that is good enough for me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.