Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What do you want from your 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Trekkor
I'm enjoying an a/x and soon to be time trial racer and keeping it street legal.

Looking for the fastest, best handling car I can produce with my current motor.

Trailered racer wink.gif

KT
McMark
I'm someday hoping to have a reliable driver. That's where I'm going. wink.gif
Rhodes71/914
Reliable driver that will bring back great memories for my wife, and a car for me to work on when one of us breaks it (most likely me) biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
NOW: Uber reliable daily driver (70% track setup / 30% streetable) pretty rough on anything but smooth roads.... big cam/solid trans mounts/webers fun ride.....

NEXT: a small displacement six...... 2.2 or 2.4...... mikeZ got me hooked..... my wallet hates him!!!!
Lou W
Nice, fun, clean car, with some modifications from Engman, Camp 914, Eric, and maybe an engine from Jake. smile.gif
Aaron Cox
currently...i think i have most people beat on handling...... (sans trekkor (31mm sway bar dry.gif )

i need 16" wheels and a triad exhaust or the one im fabbing up now....
Andyrew
I want mine to be able to drive daily, reliably.

while being able to smoke anything I sit next to at the stop light.

I want to be able to drive mine to the track, but I want to trailer it anyways.

Street/strip car basically.

Andrew
SGB
Transaxle rebuild from Red-Beard....pray.gif
Hopefully the 2nd gaer synchros will last until fall. rocking nana.gif
lapuwali
Weekends in the mountains car. I'm coming to realize that using it as a daily car anymore simply isn't going to be in the cards, so I'm now willing to go for the options that trade off comfort for performance. Brakes, then suspension, then some big power drivetrain (not a V8, though).
Trekkor
Oh, and I'll be running on the drag strip, too. ohmy.gif
March 2nd, weather permitting.
Start of the wed nite drags at Sears... burnout.gif

KT
Martin Baker
QUOTE (trekkor @ Feb 20 2005, 10:48 PM)
Oh, and I'll be running on the drag strip, too. ohmy.gif
March 2nd, weather permitting.

KT

This I have to see...Damn good thing you have a spare gearbox now....I'll bring the 5 gallon bucket to put the parts in, scattered about in the 60 foot trap.
ppickerell
In another couple of weeks I will have a $4000 car with 17K worth of work done to it. I think that it belongs in a museum. Ripley's believe it or not?
J P Stein
Heading?....why... to hell in a handbasket. I have a 914 wacko.gif
monkei
im going in a similar direction.
i want a daily driver/streetable autocross/time trial machine. (rolleyes.gif)
with all the right upgrades done in the right order.

what i want from my 914 im sure i may never get; reliability. but thats to be expected of a 30+ yr old german car that is going to be driven hard on the AX courses.

i want torque, horsepower (turbo4, porsche 6?) good cooling and lubrication, excellent exhaust and intake flow, the most lateral Gs i can pull out of beefed 914 suspension, i want lightness, rigidity, a rock solid drivetrain, a smooth shifting six speed transmission with the perfect gearing for the crapload of HP and powerband i expect from whatever powerplant i go with, the brightest lights and the loudest horns i can find, a good and powerful electrical system, a decent stereo, wide tires and 5 lug 959 replica rims (can anybody help with that?), some sort of front airdam and a spoiler, and a beautiful bright lime green mtallic paintjob. oh yeah dont forget the saratoga top wink.gif

im sure ive forgotten something.
Bleyseng
A relieable street/AX/Track car with some 'mo better poop to it.

Geoff
Scott Carlberg
my 914 HAS been my daily AND only driver since I bought it back in 1996...
until Oct of 04 that is.

Next: Race/Track only
VegasRacer
QUOTE (trekkor @ Feb 20 2005, 09:18 PM)
What do you want from your 914?

The question for me should be "What DON'T you want for your 914?".

What I really want is to enjoy it like it is and resist the urge to start buying expensive parts to put a car that is already great.

I don't want another set of wheels and track tires.
I don't want a killer stereo and a sub woofer.
I don't want a new leather seat.

I don't! I don't!! I don't!!!
Andyrew
I dont want a sterio... but I could use more wheels (wider.... wider is better...)
laugh.gif
iamchappy
I just want my car to be what Porsche should of wanted it to be. So I am trying to right there wrong.
A 914 turbo carrera, but mines got a nice stereo with subs, handles like a track car because thats what it was before I turned it into a street car, and doubles as a daily driver. driving.gif
fiid
I want "Elsie" to embarrass Elises, be respectable on the track, and still be a reliable daily driver.
redshift
I want to get 20k more miles out of mine.

M
tesserra
Sub 6 sec 0 to 60 and a slow to mid pac Bi autox time for handling.
Drive to all events and drive home.

George
Rand
300hp, 1700lbs, another 100k miles! mueba.gif

Seriously, I do want a daily driver. Tinkering and tweaking is a passion and hobby, so my deranged mind says this is possible.

I don't care too much about amenities, so I can trim some weight. However, I live in the NorthWest, so I do need a heater and some level of rain protection. (Hmm... good rubber, lots of battery protection, rust protection, rust protection, rust protection... there's another thread...)

Ok... more power... Not taking sides yet, but have to say that I'm 100% firm about this much: If I decide to stay air-cooled, I'm buying a Raby motor. Otherwise, I'm making dang sure my V8 conversion is done right.
neo914-6
In another couple of weeks I will have a $4000 car with 17K worth of work done to it. I think that it belongs in a museum. Ripley's believe it or not?
As we get older we learn... laugh.gif

I want what I am building, a "modern" 914 design... biggrin.gif
John
I have a dedicated track car....
It has a 3.2, steel flares, 930 brakes, VERY stiff suspension, etc., etc.

I am always working toward getting the tub on the roticorie done. It will be a dedicated track car.
It will have a large 6, steel flares, stiff suspension, big brakes, etc., etc.

My silver car (currently a stock 2.0) is going to go through a metamorphasis. (I'm gathering parts now)

I want to end up with a very clean steel flared street car with about a 2.7-6. I am thinking something like a standard car with an M471 option. I want to keep all chrome trim (including bumpers) and the roll bar vinyl. The car will be an ocasional fair weather driver (like it is now) for the street only. I will probably keep it lightly sprung with small sway bars. (This is one of those cars that I always dreamed of after seeing Miles Collier and his 914-6 GT at Mid Ohio in 1985.) It will keep it's original silver color.
Series9
I want my version of the 'ultimate' six. Although I thought 914RS fulfilled that bill, I have learned she is simply the warm-up for the 600hp monster to follow. Stay tuned for pics...... ohmy.gif
chunger
Car #1. . .

Streetable autocross car. . . for when I have enough money to actually autocross it. '73 w/ stock 2.0 motor. Just gotta change out the rear trailing arm bushings and figure out a way to resolve low oil pressure. Then, a couple seals, and I think I'll be done modifying this one. . . ha haa. . . ok mabe a diet starting w/ floor sound-deadening. This was Rob Way's old car. It can go fast, but I can't go fast yet. It's had at least a couple color changes, but it looks good in it's current color, and It is a car I think should and will be driven a lot. Fresh trans, fresh engine.

Car #2

'73 V8 conversion w/ 930 trans. Wanna put this one on a rotisserie and do it right. It's a bare caged shell and a room full of parts right now. Seeking 400 hp. Have more into the transmission than car #1 total. 5 lug conversion w/ 16x7 fuchs for now. . . slight massage on the fenders should be all I can afford right now. It'll need more traction later. All the big parts are purchased already for this one. . . just gotta 1-800-do-it.

Money's tight. . . cars are 2nd priority right now, but they'll get done. . . and they'll be fun. I prescribe to Jake Raby's way of thinking. . . have a 4 to be light and agile. . . have a V8 if you want the HP.
Brando
I want the current 914 (the only one I have) to be enjoyable and most of all comfortable to drive. Handling should be upgraded, made to look nice and catch eyes. Well restored with minor modifications for comfort in mind. Daily driver, for long trips, for fun runs.

My next (in the future someday) 914... purely A-X or club racing. Would be a 73, trimmed, drilled, shaven, 993tt six added, carbon fibered, krylon party-paintjobbed. Made to win and would.
riverman
I want to be finished working on my car so I can give it to my daughter when she turns 16. She's three now.

Seriously, I want a week-end driver that can keep up with freeway traffic and safely pass other cars on a two-lane road.
CptTripps
This one:
I'm looking for something to drive to the office in the summer, and out at night when the wife and I want to get away. I miss the yellow 76 that I had a few summers ago. We had a blast in that car...

I DO want a nice stereo...even if I can't hear it. I also want to drive it to events and to the store for ice-cream. Maybe to the golf course once or twice a year.

Next one:
Ditto...only a 2.2 or 2.4 biggrin.gif

Does it way something that every-other person on this board is already planning 'the next one'.
TravisNeff
Car 1, fun driver as often as possible. However, it has become a long term project. overhaled running gear to date. Right now it has the paint removed and I am filling up al the A/C holes, reinforce here, brace there weld this, weld that. In other words - THERAPY. smash.gif Project may never turn out, or may never finish - but what the hell. Going through an ugly divorce and immersing myself in who knows what is getting me through... Oh, the intent is to have a do it all car that I can say that "I did it myself" and learn as I go.

Car 2, might as well have something to drive - right? Mostly street driver, maybe a daily driver. Have a rolling parts car, if needed (see car 1). Should be here in a couple weeks!

Joe Ricard
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 20 2005, 09:29 PM)
NOW: Uber reliable daily driver (70% track setup / 30% streetable) pretty rough on anything but smooth roads.... big cam/solid trans mounts/webers fun ride.....

You just described my car now. I'm looking to go past that and push the rule limits for my class. SM-2 leaves pretty wide open.

Or purpose build a CSP car out of the stripper.
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (riverman @ Feb 21 2005, 05:03 AM)
Seriously, I want a week-end driver that can keep up with freeway traffic and safely pass other cars on a two-lane road.

of your cars you own I bet you can't do that with any of them. The V-8 should be a real hoot. Your Cooper is not an "S" ?
GTeener
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Feb 20 2005, 09:56 PM)
A reliable street/AX/Track car with some 'mo better poop to it.

Geoff

agree.gif
KaptKaos
What I have is almost exactly what I want, for this car. wink.gif I have a daily driver that is in pretty good shape. It provides me with the experience that I was looking for in a 914; reasonably comfortable, reliable, a fun to drive street car. I do not want to change that.

I also want to build something like THIS, but maybe not as radical. I still want to keep it streetable, but I would like to push the performance envelope. Weight loss and a performance boost would be awesome. I want to add lightness (I am starting with myself atm, but would like to do the same for a car too lol2.gif ).

bondo
I'm going for a commuter 914 that will make me WANT to get up in the morning and drive to work smile.gif Of course it has to be reliable too.. so I'm putting in an LT1 V8. burnout.gif

Speaking of reliable, the LT1 I'm using has 110k miles on it.. I just pulled a plug and stuck a bendy inspection light in there. The honing marks are still visible! smile.gif
riverman
Your Cooper is not an "S" ?

The "S" stands for "So much more expensive". I paid a little over $28K for the Cooper and a friend of mine paid over $36K for his "S". My fiance drives it daily and I only get to tool around in it on the weekends. It's still a fun car though.
Toast
The first direction I would go is to obtain my own 914. biggrin.gif

Then, I would want to to be a reliable driver. (I know, me have a reliable vehicle... lmao... laugh.gif )

That's all I want, really...... screwy.gif
dinomium
I am headed to either the race track or the poor house! biggrin.gif
If I dont finish the bathroom before the car, I may make a pitstop in Divorce court. HA!!
One car for AX and fun
the other, maybe a six or a big BIG four with steel flairs...
airsix
QUOTE (RandyLok @ Feb 20 2005, 10:50 PM)
300hp, 1700lbs, another 100k miles! mueba.gif

That sums it up for me too. clap.gif

-Ben M.
ArtechnikA
too soon to tell. depends a bit on what happens with the 911, and with the job.

part of the time i think "restore it per stock" -- but that's the goal i have for the 356...
part of the time i think "vintage race" and that's still a possibility.
part of the time i think "sleeper supercar" and semidedicated DE track car. that could happen.

i am nowhere close to needing to make a decision - when i am, i'll decide something that makes sense at the time.
balljoint
My goal is to have an ever evolving platform that is fun to drive. Not just in terms of powerplant but all aspects of the car. I want to start with my trustworthy, driveable car and then add to that, upgrade, modify etc. all the while I would like to retain the spirit of the 914 but stick on all the new goodies that I can. Still working on the "don't want it to fold in half in an accident" phase, I'll talk to you again in 2010.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (GTeener @ Feb 21 2005, 11:17 AM)
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Feb 20 2005, 09:56 PM)
A reliable street/AX/Track car with some 'mo better poop to it.

Geoff

agree.gif

agree.gif Me three driving.gif
MarkG
I would like to drive mine for a start......been in shop 4 weeks tommorow getting FI adjusted to meet Emission test requirements.....

When (if) I actually have a running driveable 914 all I want is to be able to keep up with hiway traffic (no speed limits in Colorado outside city limits....unless the rotating circuit Highway Patrol officer is in your area that day).

Also want to use it here in the mountains - which is why I have a pile of parts waiting for the return of my car: Bilsteins, New ball joints, caliper kits, wheel bearings, 19mm master cyl, 165b lb springs, turbo tie rods, 22mm F sway Bar, new rotors, R4S Porterfield pads, A-arm bushings, and newly mounted 195/60-15 Falken tires...... just sitting in a pile at home.......
redshift
I wish you would all suprise me with a brand new 74 914! I mean BRAND NEW!

I would drive that thing! Man! I mean really drive it! And boy! Talk about brand new!

Silver, hurry.

M
roundboy914
mine already has a strong 4, good suspension, and nice tires.
i want to get to the point with my driving, on the track, that i am forced to go into another round of upgrades.
my street/De car is solid, just looks tired, so new paint, and interior updates.
riverman
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Feb 21 2005, 01:06 PM)
THERAPY. smash.gif Project may never turn out, or may never finish - but what the hell. Going through an ugly divorce and immersing myself in who knows what is getting me through... Oh, the intent is to have a do it all car that I can say that "I did it myself" and learn as I go.

Amen brother! beerchug.gif
nine14cats
To be finished.....
aircooledboy
For the V8, I want to smooth out the rough edges until I have a supercar. Those guys who dog the V8 conversions have never driven a well done one. I cannot tell you how much fun this car is to drive. I bought a very good start, and I hope to get it those last few steps to the finish line. driving.gif aktion035.gif

For the 1.7, I want to get it to absolute stock, bordering on concourse weennie sweet, with the exception of an engine kit upgrade from Jake. I kept the car because my oldest daughter LOVES the car. She is 10 now, and the idea of being able to make it a car she will treasure when she is able to drive (thereby passing on the disease laugh.gif ) is as great a treat as this family guy can think of. wub.gif
TonyAKAVW
Well, in the spirit of not comprimising:

1. Silver car, currently a roller will at first be put together as a fairly stock looking '74 but with a turbocharged '75 1.8 liter engine (which I still have to build). Eventually it will receive a V8 with no less than 300 HP, and GT style flares. Ideally it will be a GT kind of car. Carbon hoods, everything lightweight, lots of power.

2. Yellow car. This is currently my daily driver and I would like to keep it a daily driver. For now, the 1.7 is fine, but when the silver car gets the V8 I might put the turbo'd engine in this one. Other than that I will make it autocrossable, but still _reasonably_ comfortable.

-Tony
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.