Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifter rod removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
How to?

Will it slip out with the motor in the car?
This is for Randal's racecar.

KT
Type 4
No Its not like a bug with the forward access hole.
r_towle
if i recall, it wont come out with the motor in...

When I did my side shift conversion, I found that out the hard way...pretty sure it hits the engine or mount or something....

You might be able to remove the rear portion of the shifter bar and feed the other piece through the hole in the motor mount...
McMark
agree.gif

Will not come out with a 4 installed. Sixes might slip by depending on how the engine is mounted.
JWest
For a side-shifter, you can do it without taking the engine (4-cyl) out, but you have to support the engine and remove the mount bar. You have just enough room to slip the rod past the engine.

tracks914
I had mine out last summer to change the firewall bushing. I had the engine and engine mount bar in place. I never had a problem.
Mines a '72 1.7, it might be different with a newer 2.0?
Trekkor
How 'bout with a sawsall? sawzall-smiley.gif

Hack the bottom of the car wide open. dry.gif

KT
sean_v8_914
where the flipa.gif do sum a yous get yer info. I just did mine last week with the engine unmolested. it was a 72 tail shift 4 banger
sean_v8_914
here it is
sean_v8_914
remove this coupling, then slide it out teh back
sean_v8_914
engine still in, shift rod not in. the toughest bushing to insert was the firewall. clean and lube the hole really well. drop the bushing in very hot water fro a minute, then sove it in while it is hot and pliable. hane a med flat blade screw driver handy to help the last part of teh dia in place

RATS, my camera died, cant post that last pic
JWest
QUOTE (sean_v8_914 @ Feb 22 2005, 02:58 AM)
where the  :finger2: do sum a yous get yer info. I just did mine last week with the engine unmolested. it was a 72 tail shift 4 banger

flipa.gif not needed, have you tried it on a side-shifter (Randal's car is a side-shifter)?
lylegd
You can remove the front shifter bar with the engine in place but it takes some extra work. You support the weight of the engine with a jack and a board. Remove the rear shifter bar. Then remove the left side mounting bolts and the bottom nuts from the center engine mounts from the crossmember motor mount bar. Loosen but don't remove the right side mounting bolt for the crossmember. Now you can slide the front shifter shaft backwards and out through the bushing hole in the firewall. When I last did this, I had the firewall bushing removed. I'm not sure if you can remove the front shaft with the bushing still in place. PLEASE make sure the weight of the motor is safely supported. Takes about 30 minutes if you don't come across any rusty bolts. This is also a great time to examine those front rubber motor mounts to see what shape they are in.
Lyle
Trekkor
Remember, this is coming out of a '74 throwaway parts car.

It's getting cut way down.

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.