the tub area
chunger
other side of tub
chunger
other direction from standing in tub
Trekkor
Thanks for my own personal thread.

What kind of tile do you want to use?
I want to talk to you about some alternative prep methods to the Durock cement panels in the tub surround. I can prepare the walls and tub deck in such a way that will outlast the entire house!

Water proofing is *everything*.

KT
chunger
I'm all a fan of a better water-proofing scheme. .. . The durock was the best I could think of at the time. I need to pull it off and at least put a moisture barrier behind the surround. I forgot, and didn't tell the guys who were helping me w/ sheetrock.

After demolishing another bathroom that had the entire subfloor rot and crumble away in Menlo Park, I'd like to know how to seal it better. We're probably not goign to install a shower curtain in this bathroom and just use the tub. . . not the shower.

-'Chung
Trekkor
Remember, water will find a way.
When you see mildew or loose tile, the damage is usually done.

It's sad, the contractor's license board only requires projects to last 10 years. Mastic over greenboard will last 10-12 years. Only problem is after it fails you have to pay to have it demo'ed, fix the rot and then rebuild.

I'm serious, a mortar prepared project will last over fifty years. I tear them out only because the yellow and green, pink and gray tile jobs of the '50's make people barf.gif .
No water damage behind those jobs. wink.gif

KT
Bleyseng
Coat everything with Ultraset waterproofing as nothing gets thru that stuff up to 6' above the tub floor. Install durarock around the window and coat it thick but even.

We use it instead of the plastic pan crap in showers.

Have I told you I hate fuckin windows in showers? dry.gif

Geoff
pete-stevers
sooo I have a shower room to do to.... let me get this straight- first the sheetrock then the mortar and tiles for longevity.... hope they can find me a cute nurse to help me shower in fifty years in my leak free shower laugh.gif laugh.gif
Trekkor
Mortar install is the best.
Walls are prepared for tile with waterproof flashing between tub and green board. Waterproof paper laps over and to the ceiling. Metal lath and mortar like a stucco wall. Done right, will not fail. No better way, period. wink.gif

Waterproof flashing into the window gets it done as well.

KT

see you weds Chung
chunger
Thanks for the tips. . . I would definitely rather have something that lasts 50 years.

I just recently took out a mortor tile job and it had some rather serious subfloor damage. . . entire bathroom subfloor could be removed by hand. . . had to replace 2 floor joists also.

I suspect that this may have been the 2nd tile job however, and there was not rot behind the tub. Strange.

-'Chung
Bleyseng
Trekkor, I agree with lath and motar but looking at what he's got I would just Ultra set it. Windows leak where the tile meets the window dribbles down under everything and rots it out. I have ripped out atleast a 100 of these over the years.
We will not waranty a window in a shower.

Geoff

chunger
Just say the word, and POOF! 914 tile guy magically appears. smash.gif smash.gif
Jeffs9146
Isn't that electrical box illegal in California? It was my understanding that there could be no junction boxes that are not accessible (the first photos show it mounted inside the sheetrock) and if it is near water it needs to be GFI protected. WTFDIK

Jeff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.