Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Parking Brake
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andys
I happened across a photo posted on another forum regarding a rear parking brake solution. It's an interesting idea to an on going dilemma that 914 guys struggle with. I don't know how applicable this might be, or what potential (concept wise) it could have, but thought I'd throw it out there.

The photo is a 4 pot radial mount Wilwood caliper that has been modified to accept cable actuated levers. I can't say if the modification compromises the calipers strength, but it is a cute idea. The modified caliper and hardware is offered by Flyin' Miatas.

Andys

Mueller
I like it...as long as the parts are modified correctly and never swapped over to be used in a front brake application I see nothing wrong with them.
mrholland2
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 28 2015, 01:37 PM) *

I like it...as long as the parts are modified correctly and never swapped over to be used in a front brake application I see nothing wrong with them.

So, this caliper would replace a regular 914 caliper? Would one (without mods) replace the fronts? Are they better? Worse? Cheaper? More expensive?
Mueller
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ May 28 2015, 02:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ May 28 2015, 01:37 PM) *

So, this caliper would replace a regular 914 caliper? Would one (without mods) replace the fronts? Are they better? Worse? Cheaper? More expensive?

Without knowing the bore sizes I'd make a semi-educated guess that your would not want to install these on the back of your 914 without upgrading the fronts as well. No idea if a new MC is required as well.

The calipers are about $130 each at Summit racing, figure another $50 to $100 for adapters...however from Flyin' Miatas, the parking brake mods add another $220 per set...a few more hundred and one could buy the slick aluminum calipers Eric has on his site, no adapters if I am correct.

Mueller
Thread bump....thought the DeLorean parking brake is kind of neat.

http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts...ng-brake--1.jpg
Dave_Darling
The thoughts that I had heard discussed previously were that the mechanical brake would be in addition to a rear hydraulic brake. So you'd have a second mechanical-only "spot caliper" to act as your parking brake, and the regular hydraulic brake for actually stopping the car.

--DD
davep
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 24 2015, 03:01 PM) *

Thread bump....thought the DeLorean parking brake is kind of neat.

That is similar to the RSR parking brake:
https://www.zuffenhaus.us/cgi-bin/commerce....ion&key=810
matthepcat
Looks like you can get a set off summit: http://m.summitracing.com/parts/wil-120-10113-bk

Didn't do the research if they have one for our application.
Sleepin
Interesting...I can almost see Flyin' Miata's building from where I am sitting in my office.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.