Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What kind of ignition are you running?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
blk'72
Hey all what are you running for the spark?
CAn we see some pics...
Is all the vw going to work on our engines?
I am thinking about redoing the whole system, I have some crazy backfirin'!!! ar15.gif
thnks
R.
Type 4
Kettering
Mueller
stock D-jet with billet alumium Mallory Unilite dizzy, grey/grey springs..8.5mm plug wires
Brando
Stock for a 1.8 with AFC smile.gif
Aaron Cox
Mallory Unilite, Mallory Hyfire VI A, Magnecore 8.5mm wires, mallory promaster coil, bosch plugs.....
Trekkor
Mallory Unilite, Mallory Hyfire VI A, Magnecore 8.5mm wires, mallory promaster coil, bosch plugs.....

Post the stinkin' pics...WOW!!!

KT
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (trekkor @ Feb 22 2005, 12:36 AM)

KT

send me megaphones and ill steal a camera to post pics.... LOL idea.gif happy11.gif
Trekkor
You already know how to get the megs and air dam for free. wink.gif

KT
Trekkor
Will be MSD6AL, Pertronix Ignitor, Bosch Blue coil, NGK plugs.

KT
J P Stein
QUOTE (trekkor @ Feb 22 2005, 12:03 AM)

KT

Well, it's your car, do what you want.....but what you need is a
MSD high vibration coil. Gap them NGKs at .045-.050. The Blue coil won't cut the mustard. .....and no, I won't explain it.

Take some time and cruise thru here:
http://www.rennsportsystems.com/
72914S
MSD 6AL w/7000 rpm pill driving.gif ,8.5 mm wires, bosch plugs (gaped@.45). Soon to add Crane 700,MSD Blaster 2 coil.
machina
QUOTE (trekkor @ Feb 22 2005, 02:36 AM)

Mallory Unilite, Mallory HyFire VI-AL, Aurora 8.5mm, Bosch Blue........
Mark Henry
what's a dizzy???? wink.gif
ArtechnikA
Crane Hi-6, programmable rev limit set at 7100; Crane 700 optical points replacement, LX-92 pulse transformer ("coil"), Magnecore wires, NGK or Denso (i don't recall which i put in there last) Iridium plugs. retard controller dials in 5-deg of retard on overrun and for starting.

lost the drivers for my scanner in the upgrade to XP, as soon as i can find a set i'll scan in some pictures...
CptTripps
Whow....Some serious electronic gear here.

What would I gain by going to an electronic setup like that?
Mark Henry
My set up is a SDS EM4F, programable FI and spark

My curve is like a bell curve, 10d BTDC at idle, between 1700-3000 it goes to 28d total, then at 4500 it begins to retard to 24d total.

The last bit was something that Jake noticed with the Kit Carson system...it really wakes up the engine in the higher RPM's.
The nice thing about programable ignition (crank trigger) is you can change the curve in seconds.
Kerrys914
Not running yet but it will have when it does smile.gif
- Crane Hi-6
- Crane XR700
- Crane PS-91 Coil
- NGK plugs
- Need to buy some wires sad.gif

Cheers
nickg
will the msd replace the stock cd unit on a 914-6? i am doing a conversion and I have the stuff from a 914-6
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (nickg @ Feb 22 2005, 10:44 AM)
will the msd replace the stock cd unit on a 914-6? i am doing a conversion and I have the stuff from a 914-6

yes - you can remove the stock "ignition harness" and use the same connections.

the Bosch CDI box has 3 terminals - +12V in (power), line from the points, line back to the coil.

MSD has sorta the same - use the old power wire as the "switched +12" and then you have only from the points and to the coil to deal with. use a GOOD ground and wire the big red wire to the battery.
Steve Thacker
QUOTE (Mark Henry @ Feb 22 2005, 09:27 AM)
what's a  dizzy???? wink.gif

Holy smokes that is nice Mark. What sort of setup is that? Did you get those off another type of car? I love how clean looking it is. smilie_pokal.gif

Never mind Mark I asked too late....just now saw your post.

I'd love to do that, but don't know what to buy or know the cost to convert.

I'm Stock F.I with Crane XR700 trigger
Mark Henry
You can use most of your stock FI parts to get going but the system is the big cost. I did a group buy a couple of years ago and got the full meal deal for $1200...I think it's around $1700 retail.
www.sdsefi.com

Would I do it again? Yeppers!

You can see the install here
there is a link at the bottom of the thread to see the rest.
CptTripps
Is there a thread that has specific lists of things to look for/buy? (Or is this it??)

AFAIK, I'm running a stock distributor with a 'blue' coil. Is there a decent solution for getting into electronics?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Feb 22 2005, 11:22 AM)
AFAIK, I'm running a stock distributor with a 'blue' coil. Is there a decent solution for getting into electronics?

for a stock engine in street service, that's hard to beat.
most would suggest replacing the mechanical points with an electronic gizmo, either the Crane XR-700 (my choice) or the Pertronix-II.

my cars came from the factory with CDI, so it was just a matter of uprating a bit. (actually, one car *originally* came with CDI, but it had failed and was not in the car when i got it, which i knew going in. so it was more a question of deciding what to replace it with ...)

other than the points, it's hard to uprate only a little, lest you find the weak links in the chain one at a time. if you're going to uprate the spark, look at replacing everything. and use only Bosch cap & rotor -- i've had aftermarket stuff explode in the face of uprated spark boxes...
Mueller
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Feb 22 2005, 09:22 AM)
Is there a thread that has specific lists of things to look for/buy? (Or is this it??)

normally the route is:

replace mechanical breaker points with electronic points
(pertronix normally)>

>then a hotter coil>

>better plug wires>

>CDI box>(some swear by them, some swear at them)

>last on the list is new distributor, or a crankfire system which is much, much more expensive

for the /4 motors, you have a choice of MSD or Mallory, more people seem to be going the Mallory route, this is what I have and I am happy with it.

what kind of fuel system are you running?
if carbs or L-jet, then all the above mods will work with no problems...if D-Jet, then you have to do some engineering or talk to me smile.gif AFAIK, I am the only person running a performance aftermarket distributor with D-jet smile.gif

aircooled.net and Jake sell the Mallory stuff

CptTripps
I'm running the following now...

2.0 engine
Bosch 009 Distributor
Scat A35 Camshaft
Heavy duty valve springs
European high compression pistons
Dual Weber 44 IDF carburetors
K & N Air filter

Anything I need to look at, or am I ok for now? Would this help with the 'bogging' I get with the 44idf carbs? It's a tad 'over carbed' right now...I was planning on waiting till it got warm (and running again) before I dig into them.

Would new electronics help that at all?
Mark Henry
Get a Mallory unilite (non-vac) and throw that 009 POS in a lake!

Jake or aircooled.net and you need the grey/grey springs.
ArtechnikA
BTW - i won't be posting any photographs any time soon because VISIONEER WON'T RELEASE AN XP DRIVER FOR MY SCANNER so it's a paperweight.

i'll be buying a new scanner now.

guess who's off my qualified-vendors list FOREVER !?!
machina
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Feb 22 2005, 12:08 PM)
BTW - i won't be posting any photographs any time soon because VISIONEER WON'T RELEASE AN XP DRIVER FOR MY SCANNER so it's a paperweight.

i'll be buying a new scanner now.

guess who's off my qualified-vendors list FOREVER !?!

you can always set up a dual boot system so you can run your scanner.

fortunatley you can get a damn good scanner now for about $100. smile.gif

I use several aftermarket scanner packages such as vuescan, and silverfast. One of these might work with your scanner.
Steve Thacker
QUOTE (Mark Henry @ Feb 22 2005, 12:14 PM)
You can use most of your stock FI parts to get going but the system is the big cost. I did a group buy a couple of years ago and got the full meal deal for $1200...I think it's around $1700 retail.
www.sdsefi.com

Would I do it again? Yeppers!

You can see the install <a href=http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=15552&st=0#entry204559>here</a>
there is a link at the bottom of the thread to see the rest.

OUCH!!!!
Scott S
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Feb 22 2005, 01:25 AM)
QUOTE (trekkor @ Feb 22 2005, 12:03 AM)

KT

Well, it's your car, do what you want.....but what you need is a
MSD high vibration coil. Gap them NGKs at .045-.050. The Blue coil won't cut the mustard. .....and no, I won't explain it.

Take some time and cruise thru here:
http://www.rennsportsystems.com/

Hi JP -
I went to that site and looked and looked - I couldn't find any info on our ignition systems.
I am also running the MSD and compufire with a 2.0 dizzy, bosch wires and plugs and a good old blue coil.
Does the coil you reference make a big difference? Do I need an external ballast resistor?

Which NGK's?
Thanks for any direction.......
airsix
QUOTE (Mark Henry @ Feb 22 2005, 06:17 AM)
My set up is a SDS EM4F, programable FI and spark

My curve is like a bell curve, 10d BTDC at idle, between 1700-3000 it goes to 28d total, then at 4500 it begins to retard to 24d total.

The last bit was something that Jake noticed with the Kit Carson system...it really wakes up the engine in the higher RPM's.
The nice thing about programable ignition (crank trigger) is you can change the curve in seconds.

Hey Mark,
After a lot of tinkering last year that is almost EXACTLY what my curve looks like (on the naturally-aspirated side).

Like Mark I have a crank-triggered digital ECU controlling injection and ignition. Advance is programed into the ECU with adjustments for rpm, manifold pressure, air temp, and engine temp. Spark is routed through a locked and gutted distributor (just a shaft, rotor, and cap). I'll be switching to distributorless multi-coil this spring. I just need to make up a set of plug-wires and find a second ignition amplifier for the double-coils sitting on the bench.

-Ben M.
Joseph Mills
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Feb 22 2005, 10:45 AM)
Would this help with the 'bogging' I get with the 44idf carbs? It's a tad 'over carbed' right now...

Would new electronics help that at all?

This thread reminded me I forgot to post some pics for Aaron way back.

Not a real pretty engine bay, but it works. I'm running a Unilite Dizzy, Hyfire VI A, Promaster Coil with Magnecore wires.

Doug:

With your engine, you can have more punch and better responsiveness by improving your electronics. Cheapest route would be 050 dizzy, Pertronix rotor, and MSD box.

Do you know what size chokes are in your Webers? When I swapped mine down to 32mm I picked up tons of low end grunt and my engine no longer bogs down (dyno: 116lbs torque from 2500-4500rpm), and still screams right up to 6k.

heres some pics
Joseph Mills
nex
Joseph Mills
oth
Joseph Mills
last
Joe Ricard
2.0L 86b cam 44IDF's 009 compufire petronics ignitor coil solid core wires no phenolic resistor ends just straight to the NGK plugs.
p914
Jacobs I.C.E Pak
Ray Warren
QUOTE (Mark Henry @ Feb 22 2005, 11:14 AM)

I just got mine yesterday and it was $1540.00 CDN for EM4D (fuel only) this
includes TPS, MAP,and both TEMP sensors, fuel pump relay, fast idle relay,
heated O2 sensor, mixture meter and all harnesses.
Can't wait to get it all hooked up.
Racing916
In a 2.2L T Motor I am using

MSD 6A Igntion
MSD Blaster High Vibration Coil

The only problem with upgrading to these is that you also need....

MSD Tach Adapter and the kick in the pants is...

the special EMI/RFI suppression Plug wires that were to me at lest a suprise.
I bought the Clewett Engineering wires that look real nice (about...$133.00)
Or
You can buy the Magnecor Plug Wires that start around $200.00
CptTripps
QUOTE (joseph222 @ Feb 22 2005, 07:35 PM)
With your engine, you can have more punch and better responsiveness by improving your electronics. Cheapest route would be 050 dizzy, Pertronix rotor, and MSD box.

Do you know what size chokes are in your Webers? When I swapped mine down to 32mm I picked up tons of low end grunt and my engine no longer bogs down (dyno: 116lbs torque from 2500-4500rpm), and still screams right up to 6k.

I haven't a CLUE what size they are. I've been more concerned with getting the body taken care of..I figure the engine runs, so tweaking will be the name of the game this summer. (No sense in tuning an engine with carbs when it's 18 degrees outside.)

I've also got a set of 40IDFs, would those be better on a 2.0?

I'll lookn into those electrics...that's the kind of list I was looking for! Thanks...

Anyone got a set of electronics they want to part with?
Joseph Mills
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Feb 22 2005, 10:35 PM)

I haven't a CLUE what size they are.

Go to your local VW shop and pick up a copy of Bob Thomlinson's Weber Tech Manual and spend a bit of time with it.

When you're ready and you have the time and inclination, remove and break down one of your 44 webers and ascertain your choke size, idle jets, main jets, emulsion tube, air tubes. Use a flash light and magnifying glass to be certain of your numbers. Record them.

For reference, here's mine:

Choke: 32
Mains: 125
Idle: 55
Air: 175
Emulsion tube: f11

These specs are just to help you find what yours are.

Do the same with the 40's that you have. Between the two sets of carbs, you will probably be able to dial in a pretty good setup... for like free....

PM me if you like, or post your results, and I'm sure others more knowledgeable than I will help you out.

Side Note: I just ordered a set of Phillips 7199s for my hotrodded Dynaco - twice the price since I last ordered them! Guess that makes me a classic CSOB 914 owner!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.