Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Original Center caps
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
914Next
I have no intention of of purchasing these caps at $200 each on eBay but was intrigued that they do not all have the same size flange/lip. I've heard that originals had a different side lip than repops but did originals vary also? I wouldn't think so.

If they did not vary which are the originals?

Steve

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-NLA-OEM-PORSCH...1f3&vxp=mtr
Tom_T
That is odd!

They all appear to to be from original parts boxes, so somebody OEM did that one a bit different! blink.gif

That's HPH - so anyone interested in them could call Rich Bontempi at HPH & ask him why, but he's a straight up & knowledgeable Porsche & 914 guy since the beginning (1969). There must be a different mfgr. date for the thin vs. thicker rim ones is my guess.

Since these are long NLA & getting to be unobtanium, this price doesn't surprise me Steve.

IIRC I paid $75 each a few years ago for a set of 4 from a member here who was getting out of 914s & selling off his stash of parts (he wanted $125 each for 1, 2).

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
sixnotfour
The caps that came on the cars have the wider lip, and were available from porsche , somewhere in the supply chain, the Porsche caps got the narrower lip .
Also, the factory installed are fully polished and some of the factory replacements are not full polished on the sides...still a Porsche part ,, butt...
914Next
Interesting info. Thanks guys. Learn something new everyday with these cars.
Cuda911
I bought these from someone here. They came in OEM boxes. $100 for a set of four. No idea if they are original to 914s or to some other Porsche, but I like them a lot.
steuspeed
It's ice to have a wider lip. It helps cover up screwdriver marks from the PO trying to pry off the caps. Its' best to take the wheel off and pop them off from the back if you need to remove them. I have the 914Rubber caps and the flange was wider than the beat up stock caps I had.
914Next
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jun 2 2015, 10:34 PM) *

I bought these from someone here. They came in OEM boxes. $100 for a set of four. No idea if they are original to 914s or to some other Porsche, but I like them a lot.

Cuda, I recall reading somewhere about using a piece of PVC pipe to hammer the caps out from the back side (and also for re-installing them?) What pieces do you have in that pics? size? Thanks

Steve
Cuda911
Here's my thread regarding the PVC pieces, with the exact sizes and part numbers you need.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...center+cap+tool
914Next
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jun 2 2015, 11:43 PM) *

Here's my thread regarding the PVC pieces, with the exact sizes and part numbers you need.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...center+cap+tool

Thanks Cuda….shoulda used the search.

Steve
Cuda911
NP.

Actually, I often find the search function a bit tough to use here. Unless you know exact key words, you get way too many "hits" to sort through.
JeffBowlsby
The narrow flange was OEM original factory issue style. At some point in more recent production, still OEM, the flanges became wider. Don't know when, just know its true.

These Bontempi HPH versions are the earlier style...highly sought after by original car purists, hence the high dollar asking price. They must have been NOS on a shelf for a very long time.
914Next
Seems that there is a bit of a difference of view on whether the narrow or wide were originally installed at the factory. Here are a couple of pics of my caps which are original to the car. Not sure whether they would be considered narrow or wide. Looks like wide to me?

Steve

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.