Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fixing/replacing a clutch cable?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
theleschyouknow
as mentioned in another thread my clutch pedal popped and dropped to floor the other day so I assume it's broken clutch cable
fast forward to today and I am attempting to replace after I got the pedal board removed (that's fun with a center console) I had to go fishing in the tunnel access area to find pedal end with the clevis on it and when I got it here's what I found
Click to view attachment
hard to tell in the pic but in situ (it looks to me like) it's considerably opened wider than it should
??? anybody run into this before
and can I just bend it back into place?
mad.gif

never mind I just broke it trying to squeeze it back together with my fingers!!!

anybody got an extra clevis part to sell?
will post a wtb in classifieds
thanks
cjl
Mike Bellis
I think you can buy these new instead of using s 40 year old used piece.
steuspeed
Yeah isn't that fun with the console in there? Mine was installed backwards, so it was even harder to get out. You need a new clevis fork and pin? Ebay and AutoAtlanta has them. I'm sure other places too.
theleschyouknow
yep y'all are probably right better to just order a new one -if my 40 year old one is fatigued I imagine they all are
out of curiosity anybody seen this before? is it indicative another issue? like bad bushings or something else? clutch pedal worked great prior not sticky or hard to engage at all
malcolm2
probably a Grainger or McMaster-Carr item.
brant
I have had it happen on the race car

But I assumed it was related to the high pressure of the Tilton clutch. Haven't seen it on my street car.
walterolin
Google this P/N: 90016600202. About 5.00 USD, several vendors.
bandjoey
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-CLUTCH-CAB...A-/190687600634

Autohaus, pelican, possibly Zims locally ( phone call...they have 914 parts not in their online site), and others.

U can visually check the shift rod bushings. If you have trouble adjusting the clutch / shifting many times it's the bushings.

smash.gif
theleschyouknow
my trained monkey was on strike but after much cussing and contorting I got the clevis hooked up to the pedal. while I was under there and waiting on parts I decided to clean up the oil and gunk from the trans and engine (+1 for Awesome cleaner from the dollar store/dollar general -thanks 914world collective!)
so while cleaning I discovered my plastic or rubber rear shift cover is cracked -it's a sideshift- anybody know where to get one? I've check pelican aa gpr Sierra madre .... all seem to be NLA I think it was patrick motor sports that has what I think is the right part but no pic so I'm not sure. anyone know if 914rubber makes these?
cjl
stugray
QUOTE(theleschyouknow @ Jun 2 2015, 07:18 PM) *

as mentioned in another thread my clutch pedal popped and dropped to floor the other day so I assume it's broken clutch cable
fast forward to today and I am attempting to replace after I got the pedal board removed (that's fun with a center console) I had to go fishing in the tunnel access area to find pedal end with the clevis on it and when I got it here's what I found
Click to view attachment
hard to tell in the pic but in situ (it looks to me like) it's considerably opened wider than it should
??? anybody run into this before
and can I just bend it back into place?
mad.gif

never mind I just broke it trying to squeeze it back together with my fingers!!!

anybody got an extra clevis part to sell?
will post a wtb in classifieds
thanks
cjl

Looks like the last person to install the pin got it through the first side, but not the second hole before snapping the clip down.
This would allow the force on the pin to apply a torque to only one side of the clevis.
rgalla9146
I think you are fixing the result of another problem.
Very high pedal effort can cause this.
Investigate resistance in the clutch cable tube, at the nylon wheel, at the throw out lever, at the throw out bearing sleeve, the throw out bearing and the pressure plate.
Also make certain the clutch moves freely on its splines, you know....while you're in there.
Spoke
Had the same thing happen. Put it back together and used a tiewrap to secure it. That was about two years ago. Still holding.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.