Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: gas gauge error
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JimN73
The gas gauge used to read right, not anymore. When full, the reading is a little over 3/4. The gauge and the reserve light appear to be in sync, reading empty and coming on when there is about 4 gallons left.

I have verified that the resistance in the sending unit is within spec. I have no resistance between the tank connection and the ground. I have cleaned the connections on the tank, the gauge and the fuse.

Am I missing something or could there be a problem with the gauge?

Thanks
Mike Bellis
Have you measured voltage and resistance at the gauge? Or did you only test the sender? Bad connections and loos connections and corrosion are other factors in the wiriing.
JimN73
Mike, I only tested the sender and the wires to the sender and ground - for resistance.

Battery voltage (12 volts+) to the gauge? Where would the resistance check be?

thanks.
Ferg
Pull the sender on the tank. I've seen corrosion on the wires/rods keep the float from moving up and down freely. There is a pelican article on how to disassemble it to see.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...der_replace.htm
Dave_Darling
If the reserve light is coming on with 4+ gallons in the tank (double-check that!!) then your float seems to not be floating so well. Might be time to replace it.

--DD
forrestkhaag
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 8 2015, 03:51 PM) *

If the reserve light is coming on with 4+ gallons in the tank (double-check that!!) then your float seems to not be floating so well. Might be time to replace it.

--DD

or pop it open and carefully clean the trash out of the sender barrel then put it back together and check it out / sound like the same thing mine was doing before I can-opened it and cleaned the sliders and float action. All is well and works perfectly after a few delicate moments of cleaning with a Qtip glued to a clean chopstick and some Acetone to gently clense the wires therein.

In any case, it is worth a try before biting the bullet on a new sender.
beerchug.gif
JimN73
thanks, I see a busy day tomorrow.
toolguy
My daily driver does the same every 4-5 years. . the trouble is caused by deposits from today's crappy gas coating the windings of the sender. . the easy fix is to add Chevron Techrone injection cleaner to a FULL fillup. . May take 2 successive treatments but it works. .
JimN73
QUOTE(toolguy @ Jun 8 2015, 04:56 PM) *

My daily driver does the same every 4-5 years. . the trouble is caused by deposits from today's crappy gas coating the windings of the sender. . the easy fix is to add Chevron Techrone injection cleaner to a FULL fillup. . May take 2 successive treatments but it works. .

I'll try this first.
AlanG
QUOTE(Ferg @ Jun 8 2015, 06:38 PM) *

Pull the sender on the tank. I've seen corrosion on the wires/rods keep the float from moving up and down freely. There is a pelican article on how to disassemble it to see.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...der_replace.htm

agree.gif Been there. Done that. Got the t-shirt.
JimN73
QUOTE(toolguy @ Jun 8 2015, 04:56 PM) *

One tank of gas, one bottle of techron, one mile of driving - one gauge that works. It's a murracle.

thanks, Toolguy
ripper911
idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.